• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another Pugski-er from the far west in Utah tomorrow through Monday. Hoping to get a few hours in at Solitude tomorrow and then the remainder of the trip in LCC. Anyone around give out a shout and we’ll say hi.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hey does anyone have recommendations for ski rentals at Alta or is it pretty simple with only one or two options? Heading there in ten days, a few on the group are renting. One is complaining that it's $65/day which is high. Any way to get cheaper than that for demos?

We don't have ability to rent in SLC cause we fly out late the night before.

Also for 65 a day, what type of skis are they? Last year I skied St Anton off a work trip, not only were rentals cheap, but the fleet included a bunch of high end Stockli and Kastle.

Thanks for any advice.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wreck myself and it hasn’t stopped snowing since. One month today since my accident. I’m still very happy for all of the snow but I’m also very jealous of the powder days you guys & gals are getting!

Anyone been up to Powder Mountain lately? It has to be skiing great with a healthy base and lots of pow.

Question: Anyone ever do any skinning/hiking skiing after a resort closes? I think I may be able to get back on skis by late April. I’d imagine Pow Mow will still have good stashes of snow on the north facing aspects should we even have average snowfall for the rest of winter.
Hiked snowbasin after the resort closed last season, I am planning to continue with that this spring.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey does anyone have recommendations for ski rentals at Alta or is it pretty simple with only one or two options? Heading there in ten days, a few on the group are renting. One is complaining that it's $65/day which is high. Any way to get cheaper than that for demos?

We don't have ability to rent in SLC cause we fly out late the night before.

Also for 65 a day, what type of skis are they? Last year I skied St Anton off a work trip, not only were rentals cheap, but the fleet included a bunch of high end Stockli and Kastle.

Thanks for any advice.
if only there was a peer ski sharing app to cut out the middle man perhaps those college kids in the other thread are not as ridiculous as people said.

anyway its all about the same, the market is pretty efficient, you get what you pay for.
do you have a car? ski n see or just Google. demos are meant to be money credited torwards towards purchase, not as just expensive rentals. They will have cheaper options, but those are not true demos.
I see ppl skiing snowbird and alta on 10year old ac40s, it can be done.

it will not be boutique skis, it will be the highend but highly avail skis like blizzard rossignol dynastar nordica etc where an msrp setup elwould be like 800 to 1000. If you desire those boutique skis you need to search around and pay more, maybe inquire around dv.

finally if your whining friends dont even have their own setup they probably aren't advanced enough to fully drive a full on demo ski. they are better off with a slightly softer int. ski that will respond better and put into ski school

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Crazy good week/month of skiing lately. The stars have lined up frequently to ski lines & zones somewhat safely in quality powder conditions. Only seems to happen every few years & then only a day or two. So far this period has been exceptional. One top protocol in some of these areas is to get in & out in one clean swoop, so no stopping for video or photos.
Today was more benign & with an out of town friend visiting we took some time to pull the phone out.

The prime objective today was Mt. Ogden Chute & Ogden Bowl.

The chute begins just below the peak & is about a 30 minute steep boot pack
C43E21A8-9F08-4C1D-B869-DA24EDE3BC85.jpeg

Ogden below
23CC0E39-7659-4E54-8819-D925BA1D3FEF.jpeg

Dropping
BAA7BA98-8AE2-4F30-B762-655547907C8F.jpeg

Don on the apron

Out the bottom 100 turns later
F2700A66-5961-421D-995D-4565C2C49FA8.jpeg

Sporting my new Pret Helmet
8F86F84B-6BA2-45D6-98D8-C60A1AC36CC5.jpeg

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@4ster , wow! And the new lid looks great!
I know someone who would ski the chute with you (not me!)

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowbasin has already surpassed the record for the most snowfall amount ever recorded in the month of February. I have lost track of how many avy reduction mornings we have had this month! Keep it coming!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Snowbasin has already surpassed the record for the most snowfall amount ever recorded in the month of February. I have lost track of how many avy reduction mornings we have had this month! Keep it coming!
I was speaking with another patroller this morning about the record snowfall & we were wondering if it would also be a record month for explosives ogwink.
Strong work from your crew, worth it though I am sure.

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
I skied Brighton yesterday and Solitude today. No powder, but the snow is that beautiful dry Utah surface. The bumps haven' yet built up too deep or had any warm weather or too much sun and are perfect "hero" bumps. It's all good! Will finish off trip at the Bird tomorrow, hoping for a few new inches to brighten and soften it up.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just got back from my Utah trip. Skied at Snowbasin last Thursday (saw Phil and Tricia in line for breakfast that morning). Caught the rope drop at Sisters Bowl that day which was untouched and bottomless...WOW! Was at Snowbasin again on Monday where there was no new snow reported, but it was powder on every run with the wind refilling every track...truly remarkable! I would never have guessed I could have so much fun at Snowbasin with Strawberry shut down the whole day. In between, caught two days at Alta and one at Snowbird. Outstanding trip and I think I got my friends hooked on Utah (sorry locals!).

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Land of the Giants, skiers left off top of the Jupiter lift. There are several different pitches to choose from, some relatively mellow, others that caused Tanner Hall to shit in his pants!

Thanks for this. Had a great time today and yesterday off of both Jupiter and 9990. Wish I had a local who could have taking me up the boot packs. Didn't really think it wise to hike and drop in those solo.

Reisen

Booting up
Skier
Heading to Utah on Monday for work, then taking Friday through Monday of the following weekend to ski Alta & Snowbird. Fingers crossed these conditions continue!

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
More wind holds at DV yesterday morning. Bald Mountain was completely shut down - so we circled around to Lady Morgan and wrestled some pretty huge moguls in the Centennial area - couple of runs down that was enough! Snow was coming down pretty good most of the day and by the time we finished lunch at Daly's the wind died down. Beautiful afternoon with a couple fresh inches on the ground. Did a few small hikes through Ontario bowl where the snow was great. Bald Mt opened up and we were laying fresh tracks all over the place. good times

GNARpts

Booting up
Skier
I posted in the meetups forum, but I’ll be in SLC next week and looking to meet like-minded person(s) for a day or two of touring, conditions permitting. Fairly new to touring, but have avy training, am cautious, and respect group dynamics and everyone’s comfort level. Looking forward to the annual trip to the wasatch!

Sponsor