• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Awesome! Seflfishly I was hoping it would not happen until tomorrow. Did No Name open as well?
Yes, No Name opened around 10am. It was "as good as it gets!" with only gate #1 open for the first 2 laps. I think perhaps patrol did that in order to monitor things a bit more closely for the first hour. Whatever the reason, I like it when they do that even if it means I need to hike. People tend to ski it more falline from the top & it skis better for much longer.
I think patrol would've liked to have gotten out there yesterday but with a number of poachers ducking the obvious closures, it is kinda hard to throw bombs when you may blow someone up or bury them. I don't know if it's true but I heard they pulled 13 passes yesterday. Avalanche control areas are serious business around here! Why don't folks get that :doh:.

I'll just leave this here...
:bestday:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So... how was it?

A solid blue bird pow day with great snow quality, which is pretty rare lately. Lonetree skied nice and there were some deep turns towards the bottom where it gets wider.

No name opened today as well.

Edit to add: a couple more bonus pictures today as well. IMG_20190217_122759154.jpg IMG_20190217_122528874.jpg

If you pay attention to the shadows you can see where I dropped in.

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
I want to ski that sometime! But the traverse sounds like it would scare the bejeezus out of me.
Amazing pictures!
No traverse. 20 minute hike.
3BC90D2F-74E7-42DA-B91B-03F492F5E4AA.jpeg
It’s the first turn that would scare the bejeezus out of you ;)

(AVI education, equipment & 40 yrs. experience advised but not required )

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No traverse. 20 minute hike.
View attachment 66073
It’s the first turn that would scare the bejeezus out of you ;)

(AVI education, equipment & 40 yrs. experience advised but not required )
So I've been told, but in that kind of snow, I think I'd be fine :)
did you hike from the tram then?

4ster

Instructor
So I've been told, but in that kind of snow, I think I'd be fine :)
did you hike from the tram then?
Well, it scares the bejeezus out of me anyway :eek:.
Snow wasn't as good as it looks.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, it scares the bejeezus out of me anyway :eek:.
Snow wasn't as good as it looks.
Wait, you are a mere mortal like the rest of us?!
What about the other side of that cirque? No cornices to drop (which I guess ARE quite pronounced this year.)
Things for me to aspire to...
I was the first skier down Pork Barrel on Saturday morning thanks to early load. I might have whooped and giggled the entire way.

And surprise surprise--6 more inches and it's still falling today, with more tomorrow, and it's COLD. GREAT conditions for testing skis the next two days!

4ster

Instructor
GREAT conditions for testing skis the next two days!
NOOOO :(! Say it isn't so :doh:.
Those retailers are the one's who really scare the bejeezus outta me!
I hope patrol just closes all the gates to keep them from killing themselves & each other :eek::eek::eek: .

I was thinking that tomorrow was shaping up to be one of those sneaky sleeper days. I really shouldn't complain, after Sunday anything else will be a letdown. We are sooo spoiled! :P

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
NOOOO :(! Say it isn't so :doh:.
Those retailers are the one's who really scare the bejeezus outta me!
I hope patrol just closes all the gates to keep them from killing themselves & each other :eek::eek::eek: .

I was thinking that tomorrow was shaping up to be one of those sneaky sleeper days. I really shouldn't complain, after Sunday anything else will be a letdown. We are sooo spoiled! :P
LOL that's funny! I promise we Pugskiers will behave. I can't guarantee anything about the crew from that shop down thar in the Valley :roflmao:
It'd be a treat to be able to actually test some powder skis for a change.

4ster

Instructor
LOL that's funny! I promise we Pugskiers will behave. I can't guarantee anything about the crew from that shop down thar in the Valley :roflmao:
It'd be a treat to be able to actually test some powder skis for a change.
Will the Pugs be here? They only misbehave in the best of ways :pug:

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow! I have never seen Snowbasin as crowded on a weekday as it was this morning. There were more people there today than on President's Day. I am sure it is due to the fact that Powder Mountain and Snowbasin easily won the most snow lottery overnight and the industry demo days are being held at Snowbasin as well. Notwithstanding, I got some deep turns in the 5 runs I made until I made the mistake of checking my cell phone for messages and then I had to leave. Just checked the webcams and it looks like a lot of other people left early as JP and Wildcat have lots of empty chairs and the base doesn't look crowded. My guess is many went home and a lot of others went over to Strawberry when it opened.

Talked to a number of people on lifts who were talking about how awesome (and empty) yesterday was. I'll take a stealth powder day over one like today anytime. To me there is kind of a disconnect between the zen of powder skiing and the aggro feeding frenzy of a powder morning like today. Don't get me wrong--I am glad I went. I am just betting I would have enjoyed yesterday more.

Also, I rode up the lift with a guy on the new QST 106 who was raving about how good it is. It is definitely a sharp looking ski. I was going to swing by the tents just to look at some of next year's product but I am not sure I would have been welcome. Anybody know?

4ster

Instructor
I'll take a stealth powder day over one like today anytime. To me there is kind of a disconnect between the zen of powder skiing and the aggro feeding frenzy of a powder morning like today. Don't get me wrong--I am glad I went. I am just betting I would have enjoyed yesterday more.
:thumb::thumb:

Sad thing is days like today are becoming more the norm then the exception.

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Morning weather report called for high winds and up to Negative 32 wind chill yesterday - well that simply didn't materialize.I skied Solitude from 9-2 in gorgeous sunshine ,zero wind and 10-13 degrees. Managed to get some fresh tracks in leftovers in Honeycomb. It was a good day IMG_1388.JPG

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Morning weather report called for high winds and up to Negative 32 wind chill yesterday - well that simply didn't materialize.I skied Solitude from 9-2 in gorgeous sunshine ,zero wind and 10-13 degrees. Managed to get some fresh tracks in leftovers in Honeycomb. It was a good day View attachment 66176

We got your weather down at LCC. Freaking cold today.

4ster

Instructor
I finally got to see the top of Snowbasin. Beautiful and great groomer conditions for testing narrower skis today with @Philpug, @Tricia, and @AmyPJ. Special appearance yesterday by @4ster.
View attachment 66178
That looks like where we were skiing today.
Great getting some runs with you guys yesterday. A lot nicer weather today for sure. They are calling for some sun again tomorrow... so it will probably snow :huh:

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wreck myself and it hasn’t stopped snowing since. One month today since my accident. I’m still very happy for all of the snow but I’m also very jealous of the powder days you guys & gals are getting!

Anyone been up to Powder Mountain lately? It has to be skiing great with a healthy base and lots of pow.

Question: Anyone ever do any skinning/hiking skiing after a resort closes? I think I may be able to get back on skis by late April. I’d imagine Pow Mow will still have good stashes of snow on the north facing aspects should we even have average snowfall for the rest of winter.

Sponsor

Staff online