• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not my video but this was taken yesterday at snowbasin. That east wind went crazy in the afternoon.

This is on the strawberry side at the top of elk ridge where the road to sisters bowl ends.

Last edited:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Leaving Friday for my first of two weeks in Utah this year, heard back from a buddy of mine that's as stoked to be skiing with me as I am to be skiing with him, then it's five days of hooting and hollering with Phil and Steve. The quiver for this time around: 165 Head WCR i.SL/RD, 177 Head Super Shape iRally, 180 Head WCR i.Speed Pro. (Detecting a pattern there?) And getting in a NASTAR run or several to bag (hopefully) some points for Team PugSki.com !!! Although my buddy Rob says I should pitch a pair of fats in the car "just in case". Um, OK.
:thumb:

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yesterday was a bluebird day at Alta, and COLD. Slept in late and then spent what was left of the morning ripping groomers to conserve energy for the offtrail workshop in the afternoon. Really nice time all over mostly the Collins side with only one other strong skier in my group. Soft cut up pow and crud everywhere made for nice soft turns. With the new snow the past several days, all the traverses are in good condition and much less ratty than last week when last i was on them.
20190101_144013.jpg
20190101_143704.jpg

That's it for me for this holiday trip after 8 straight days of skiing. Catching a flight and returning home this evening. Thanks to all for your pre-trip answers to my questions and for all the likes.

Last edited:

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
I know Snowbird has the mountain tours at 9:30 and 10:30 daily, does Alta have a similar tour of the mountain for newbies? Didn't see anything on a quick glance of the website.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
I know Snowbird has the mountain tours at 9:30 and 10:30 daily, does Alta have a similar tour of the mountain for newbies? Didn't see anything on a quick glance of the website.

Locals, please correct me if I'm wrong, but this may be the closest you can get to a mountain tour at Alta:
https://www.alta.com/the-mountain/tour-with-a-ranger

Otherwise, the afternoon off-trail workshops are a great, cheap-ish way to see and ski out of the way, non-obvious lines for a first time visitor to Alta.
https://www.alta.com/the-mountain/ski-school/adult-ski-school#advanced-expert-off-trail-workshops

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Snowbird report 1/4/19
Sunny day, warmer than SLC due to temp inversion
Conditions were excellent Packed Power-that’s if you’re from NE or PA! Westerners would say fair to good. Most every thing open except double blacks in Mineral. Tiger tail was open (some powder there)
Easier groomers were getting scraped off as usual.
Entry into Great Scott thru rats nest was better than usual. Steeps are getting bony with brush & rocks.
Storm coming Sun or Mon.

Heading back to Tahoe Sun or Mon. Skiing DV or solitude tomorrow.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Today was slightly awesome. 16 inches in 24 hours of medium density snow, skiing in a blizzard part of the day, fresh tracks down Wildcat Bowl, then two runs down Beaver Slide with fresh tracks, plus a trek over to Strawberry then back (I just CAN'T do the low-vis over there and lack of trees. It is nauseating to me.)
Anyway, no pow pics because who stops for that?! But a few from Upper Fro Zone, which set up nicely late in the day, and is an area that I panicked in two seasons ago. Progress! I brought out my Santa Ana's and had a blast. They are such a fun ski for me. Coming out to a buried car was a hoot, too!
HvtjMXikZJquIeDCdk0CUvEe9DBwRHE2Qd7my0Egp2dyAO4Ku900DZppWWCLlQgbTt3_jFB7F5tqCerc0kPWzUjflRov3z4UBUjNNtfsURpFoz8Y85W4t7ZTcbi8y1W8d3jNo1vDrg442QKhJ0r3o9RtDOFi9KQxTCeo6bwadxvM2ASnk7m0DTF5se1av9xnrVTTnq2XVqTcQuffsu2cqJWnXFix6mh-eDvFSzaL6J9J3JTDpMdKkSPgy-n9K0hKVt0GnItNA12MDxhWouDQ6a3Xdzb4K4Bsts6bmHOR1v8CQF8DZfWYLLkc3ipSUIUBnhCWzZIluFddBgICS-5PRkWdHiIbCUXfW6w_pg6A-V2S5s6lXbreosZA2YxF-87wxqSc8kIyhVuxXr1wkSkeZHnrQYcHqaPDTlLJxFy6VmoXyRsa6bmIu85OL9MFheWg4uGHz-MuTZk8HbF1rNB1iIfaYeVDvnN1C-bNXxKLYpWuh87XrNYwLCIwAKSHH9U_vmFJB8t80bhzBv5o_66p8Cyt5aKrGwIh4rgY8JZVDUdO_tnDli8XBfgfZYNAxgtM9gD_5bZMptqAT6BmW9suLA-LgW4230l5hoGrRYIA6nujNWzON7TAKGmVdT_K1REg7ghZAUA13A8lz-SvM1i07J1W=w491-h654-no

D1OSCKZ8c8iJu8B8JDy97snoreDu0E1AvFuyIMZGzOfFbHlMfw8WUTSfsggfxhCg2PKoT7b1D6Q-tPOoFf25uW9SKTAHEkJcuiVFMOv0ZVYRZW6zf9_FgewTwTE4hnXZloPZZTOgAFKitZCRnUWCrj2Jptx6wFb_XubWCQ0ePVQnUlfhZx00vCT1nGzSpyJg1bVxs-UagoFEu4p2YKUxfqU-EJ6vgD9dwrSCgsfqf7xxBuCHmFwpR3aGs-0LdyMQfWORasPcxsXcsgUzDhAhIUfUMBrvgX1OqLtG1fwGYpG8TGcoxQYWzYc9bj681FiBKnhwg2wBkV9SAHB62126oVjyvV2qvRvjz14duNkLAvwPKFCFDMTB90ClSz1caAXEKwbO4oSiRVSbeE9XiOSX1eBfuyqEr7XkAzfZlBbBYckOHsdHivKqvCEUpTAoL3fe9C6XhYGYwekH1Iu3vkbKpv5ERNw-IUk5L6PzEQKpWv9aNiKGcu4JjocC5Apc7V8ZHaJosmydonqOOQ0yvjTczijzHeiNtDt03SLClpWfziXuv6-W4EQZdhjVkkj4T4xJDKitMksu1P_N5sTLIVZIE20vTwyz2JqBdF84Tk7KGcTo8nv6vJM8hmGTg952vubuEyqgtDiup5XziL6brORdXqX3=w491-h654-no

-jteF6IWISoT5uKSMdM-tSA0lgdueEuV2nhxPViLotV1dr7mSCjuEqAoSbOhGBw-U3lVmgEKlaub43Ilr7vsZZpTqCF8hGUHwQG8C0QhJmI2CTQuRjfYe9mIr16XM5t3NTcC9LzpEuJnk77qmVqGpcBnLWbR5K8PiSwAAQQ4aiOUAcr3AETusq6bPyqJMH7tP2hqx-ahctdgAHV1o6eowQxaniu496d-RERW3vpxn-tqaLDoWXlYg8DH801DpBFcN3b4GLzveOeibKTbWvhZDg86LlHnOsQ0tlLyiGtQNAnINTYZBpyVgHUmBNumb2b120Vo85HsihqCzn5z174P3TLhNqtHn92qwr_QwJy98zzMZunn28mGIiNTBSU2DIxkebdAggdUV9a3PzfTvE0MkxjccJan4ye8jKPwjavh0l0S4wM_c7wfR7Wywk8UspNoxs5VT2P0mbeYI2QxFoZa3TeRFf_VB1KU0_y0TpwyhV16gjm3wCNVIgvPX7IZHug-6MKtTI9NnVHWgchzAQpERBXeYOr6dpFFeAp9LoFsBZwBVj5haf9gk1-PkhaH4r79S4S0S7kddUW5w5V7E569GscbvXwcPAwMKotM8Dx9hrIDaZFByVeZozEFgh28_iXBuFnCLWE4YsqZsKyvF_Mc6HZh=w491-h654-no

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
It was going off yesterday! - what a great day at Solitude!

only downer? a 2.5 hour drive home ( normally about 35) got me home just as that bonehead hit the upright and crossbar on the final play of the game.

IMG_0749.JPG
playoffs or not, when it's that deep i'm heading up!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry for your loss Blackke. That game between the Eagles and Bears was close and super exciting, but I’d trade my sofa for your powder.:snowball:

They are saying an Eagle lineman got just enough finger touch on the ball to send the final field goal attempt off target. Foles is one heck of a backup QB.

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
now that the holiday season is over, I'd like to know the impact of Ikon pass on the crowds at Solitude and Brighton. I'm sure Alta Snowbird were more crowded than last year.

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
thanks jim,,

First ive heard it was tipped! sure looks like it on the replay . i take back all the bad things i said about Parkey last night.

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
IKON effect is real at Solitude. being the only local unlimited resort really packs them in. get there early or the lot fills - never used to be anywhere near the crowds!
sunshine bowl gets so packed anymore its scary (i got 9-10 days up there this year)

Brighton crowds seemed about the same as previous years the couple times i have been up there.

Hitting Alta for the first time Wednesday - place was always empty on Wednesdays the last couple years ( outside of holiday week)

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
IKON effect is real at Solitude. being the only local unlimited resort really packs them in. get there early or the lot fills - never used to be anywhere near the crowds!
sunshine bowl gets so packed anymore its scary (i got 9-10 days up there this year)

Brighton crowds seemed about the same as previous years the couple times i have been up there.

Hitting Alta for the first time Wednesday - place was always empty on Wednesdays the last couple years ( outside of holiday week)

thanks for this info. Brighton is on my list for next season whether or not it remains on Ikon. I love how affordable their lesson prices are and the fact that they open earlier in the season.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My flight gets in at 11 am Sat. Getting bags and rental can be out of there by 11:45(?). Am thinking of hitting Solitude for a warm up before DV, and 2 days at Alta Mon/Tues. Is a half day at Soli feasible based on experience? Tx.

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
My flight gets in at 11 am Sat. Getting bags and rental can be out of there by 11:45(?). Am thinking of hitting Solitude for a warm up before DV, and 2 days at Alta Mon/Tues. Is a half day at Soli feasible based on experience? Tx.

its doable. just need to be patient in the parking lot ( the whole world skis on Saturday) - if you have an IKON pass you don't have to go to the ticket office - cut hard right inside the main Solitude gate and drive all the way to the end , then left towards the slopes - if you park at that end of the lot you can jump on the Eagle express lift - usually have some spots opening up in the early afternoon -

Sponsor