• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Heading out to SLC on Mon, going to be spending Tues and Wed at Snowbasin. Last Jan I was at snowbasin for a day during drought conditions, so was mainly confined to groomers. Would love to explore the steeps and off-trail areas more this time. Could I ask for any tips and advice from the cognoscenti? ogwink
Snowbasin now has the entire mountain open! We performed avy control on No name Saturday and Sisters bowl yesterday. Both are open and and conditions are pretty good for December. There are still some obstacles off piste and most groomed runs have excellent coverage. Snowmaking is working on the thin areas. We received another 5" last night to keep it fresh. I am skiing on my new POW boards now. I will be working on Tuesday and Wednesday so shoot me a PM and maybe we can meet up for some turns. Happy Holidays!

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
This. Snowbasin doesnt get pow like the other wasatch areas. Its much more windy there. 10something through 80something is the sweet spot at snowbasin, just depending on how recent the last snowfall.
Sounds like i'm all set then. Have a double travel bag. Ended up throwing in a pair of 99s and a pair of 108s. Thanks all for your advice. Super stoked to meet up with @ZionPow tomorrow!

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
IMG_0540.JPG Xmas day shredding at Brighton - few fresh inches and dropped all afternoon. good sized crew, tailgating , skiing with 100's of Santas . good times. all of these 4-6 inch storms have been amazing lately.

Last edited:

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
A+ for terrain at snowbasin today.

Lucked out on scoring 1st tracks off the allen peak tram when it opened just as I got off the John Paul lift
20181226_094611_002.jpg

1st gate bootpack into sisters bowl
20181226_120222.jpg

middle bowl cirque
20181226_123907_004.jpg

And lone tree
20181226_153339_002.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Late developing storm at Alta today meant conditions got better and better into the afternoon. Still hit a ton of rocks today, though.

Side-stepped up and into Glory on my way to the Supreme lift. Looking back after the run down (still blue skies in the morning):
20181227_102220_004.jpg

Spent the rest of the day lapping Catherine's Area and Supreme Bowl (now the storm starts going in earnest). Nice, soft snow in Catherine's Area. Almost worth the 3 hour traffic crawl out of LCC at the end of the day. Almost, but not quite.
20181227_232819.jpg

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Locked in to Iron Blosam for the week. Decision had to be made before the snow started to fall. I'll just ski gingerly.

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
With my arrival up at LCC in 8 days, that's just the statement I was hoping not to read!

so many big rocks up there - the magic number seems to be around 80" base, we got a ways to go yet but the cottonwoods are skiing quite well

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
so many big rocks up there - the magic number seems to be around 80" base, we got a ways to go yet but the cottonwoods are skiing quite well

Thanks for that. A couple of weeks back intel from another source indicated that the word from tram regulars was that early season conditions were as good as any in recent memory.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for that. A couple of weeks back intel from another source indicated that the word from tram regulars was that early season conditions were as good as any in recent memory.

I wouldn't sweat it. Based on how well Snowbasin is skiing this week with a 50" base it would be a big surprise if the cottonwoods weren't getting their share as well.

JPM

Booting up
Skier
If you look at Open Snow, Alta is only showing 50% open, there might be better options

Don't know how Open Snow came to that conclusion:doh:. Fifty percent of the number of groomable trails were groomed, Can't think of any closures other than non-groomables like Devil's, East Castle and Baldy. Maybe jmills115 can straighten this out, he has a lot of time at Alta.

Last edited:

JPM

Booting up
Skier
Locked in to Iron Blosam for the week. Decision had to be made before the snow started to fall. I'll just ski gingerly.
You are good to go, don't worry. If the snow was marginal there wouldn't be any cars parking out on Rte 210.

Sponsor

Staff online