• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Also, some of the hotels get discounts on the pass, my hotel has the 3 day pass for $280 as opposed to $300.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any feedback on Solitude so far this year - if the Ikon passes are affecting how crowded it is.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks perfect for us. Can pick the number of days we want to ski and pick from those 4 resorts each day. I'm thinking my wife isn't going to want to ski Snowbird however lol. The option of skiing both Solitude and Brighton on the same day is nice as well, although they are big enough that you don't really need to do that.

One thing I noticed is Liftopia once again has very cheap tickets for Solitude and Brighton this year. $55 for Brighton and $70 for Solitude. I know it limits where you can ski based on conditions but those are pretty good prices. They also have a deal for Alta for ~$96 per day where you can ski any 2 of 3 days. That does give a little flexibility.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
see post 97.

That is a good plan, but you would be prudent to be flexible. If it snows at Pow Mow it might be worth it to head that way. Your family will be powder skiers in no time. Too many good options in SLC. No bad ones.

?? That is post 97. Also curious if anyone has noticed any difference in crowds or anything else at Solitude this year.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. Likely wont see the real crowds until this next week.
I hope Solitude doesn't lose that Island of Misfit Toys feel. I enjoy going there for well the solitude. A very underrated mountain IMHO. Especially with light traffic.

StevenW

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
So I'm going to be in SLC this weekend. I'm going to try to night ski at Brighton Saturday and then ski Snowbird on Sunday. I won't be able to get up to the mountain til about 6. What I'm trying figure out is the best place to rent ski from that I can either return at Snowbird or on the way back to the airport. Lastly I'm willing to drive to Snowbird rent the skis then drive to Brighton on Saturday. If the rental place is open late enough. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

Thanks

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
try SKI'N'SEE for the rentals . alot of locations down in the valley you can hit on way to/from the airport

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is a small sample size, as Solitude has only been open for 20 days thus far this season. On powder days and thereafter when conditions have been primo, crowd size has been extremely robust, especially given the fact that a fair bit of terrain was not open yet and not all lifts were operating. According

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
(continued from #113) to a member of Solitude's management team, on the two busiest days of the season thus far an overwhelming number of the skiers and snowboarders on the mountain were Ikon pass holders (a little north of 70%). The car parks filled up quickly, with heaps of vehicles parked up and down the canyon road from the Moonbeam base area. Since these two days were early season, I strongly suspect the vast majority of those Ikon pass holders were local and not destination visitors. It's been my personal observation during the past few seasons that there are ever increasing amounts of defectors from LCC resorts holding Solitude season passes and many of them have likely now replaced Solitude passes with Ikon passes too.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
C19B9EC7-E612-46BE-B97D-153DB005927C.jpeg Really nice day at Powder Mtn on Saturday. It’s definitely tourist season. I had to share a ride up the lift once today. :cool: Still not crowded but lots of families from out of town enjoying the snow and what a nice day it was! Clear as a bell, cold but not frigid, no wind and 6” at the official snow stake overnight. Nice dry snow that skied well; dust-on-crust in the sun exposed areas but it was easy to find a softer base layer in the trees and on N through E aspects. The storm out-produced my expectations and I’m sure all the UT skiers had a nice day!

6FB30EF4-FDC4-4029-8376-CD20B97DBA8D.jpeg

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Heading out to SLC on Mon, going to be spending Tues and Wed at Snowbasin. Last Jan I was at snowbasin for a day during drought conditions, so was mainly confined to groomers. Would love to explore the steeps and off-trail areas more this time. Could I ask for any tips and advice from the cognoscenti? ogwink

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading out to SLC on Mon, going to be spending Tues and Wed at Snowbasin. Last Jan I was at snowbasin for a day during drought conditions, so was mainly confined to groomers. Would love to explore the steeps and off-trail areas more this time. Could I ask for any tips and advice from the cognoscenti? ogwink
It's still sketchy off-piste, and even on piste in some areas. Not much snow in the forecast, either.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
It's still sketchy off-piste, and even on piste in some areas. Not much snow in the forecast, either.

Darn, sounds like a pair of rock skis should be included in the travel bag, I gather?

With the forcast for weak snow showers off and on through the week, i thought at first to pack a pair of skis for soft snow. One can hope...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Darn, sounds like a pair of rock skis should be included in the travel bag, I gather?

With the forcast for weak snow showers off and on through the week, i thought at first to pack a pair of skis for soft snow. One can hope...

Bring what you like to ski. That being said, a fat powder ski really won't be necessary. Something good in crud would be a wise choice. Supposed to be very cold, so the snow should hold up, and there should be wind buff out there (especially on the Strawberry side of the mountain.)

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bring what you like to ski. That being said, a fat powder ski really won't be necessary. Something good in crud would be a wise choice. Supposed to be very cold, so the snow should hold up, and there should be wind buff out there (especially on the Strawberry side of the mountain.)

This. Snowbasin doesnt get pow like the other wasatch areas. Its much more windy there. 10something through 80something is the sweet spot at snowbasin, just depending on how recent the last snowfall.