• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Parking lot guys at Solitude on saturday said they have never seen it fill up so fast. the IKON effect is real. some pretty sizable lines early but thinned out later.
top of powderhorn was really deep and soft the first few runs . but got more and more rocky as you came down. 2 times down that and a few blemishes on my bases sent me to the truck to put away the fatties. really fun day overall. skied mostly off piste all day - the old bones are still feeling it. some really good snow totals the last 4-5 days!!!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that prior to the lifts opening? And if so, what was it like later? (I'm guessing not as bad...)

That's prior to and after opening, until about 1 p.m. is what I heard. I didn't even bother...tried to lap Little Cat thinking the line would die down. Ha!

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Parking lot guys at Solitude on saturday said they have never seen it fill up so fast. the IKON effect is real. some pretty sizable lines early but thinned out later.
top of powderhorn was really deep and soft the first few runs . but got more and more rocky as you came down. 2 times down that and a few blemishes on my bases sent me to the truck to put away the fatties. really fun day overall. skied mostly off piste all day - the old bones are still feeling it. some really good snow totals the last 4-5 days!!!

How was the snow density today in BCC? I was at Powder Mtn and the snow was very dry and it snowed until I left at 2:00. I was thinking to myself "If the snow is this light here, it must be superb in the Cottonwoods."

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope. Don't get me started...

I think most people went home after 1 run.

I ran a few laps on middle bowl which was uncrowded until 11 am. Then I skied with the kids on little cat for an hour after which they were ready to go in, we had a few beers and a few more runs on little cat, when they decided to head home, the lines were gone and I skied until 3 lapping needles.

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
How was the snow density today in BCC? I was at Powder Mtn and the snow was very dry and it snowed until I left at 2:00. I was thinking to myself "If the snow is this light here, it must be superb in the Cottonwoods."

light and dry . caught some nice face shots early!

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
That might be true in general, but this is shaping up to be one of the best early seasons in New England that many can remember. There are plenty of resorts here where you can safely go off-piste already in certain places. Killington is forecast to get 21" over the next 5 days! Who knows if the cold air and snow will last through mid-December, but if our good fortune continues, you could be having a lot of fun here in the East :)! That said, please don't let me dissuade you from going out West because I would do the same if I had the opportunity.

I know the early season snow is epic right now in New England. We are really going out so my son can see a friend and that is the only time that works. If it was just to ski I wouldn't take the risk. I am booked for 12/14-17 staying at PC because that is where the friend is. I do have a car so if the snow is better somewhere else (and you can get to it) I will drive. Just a short trip and I am sure I will find stuff to slide on.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know the early season snow is epic right now in New England. We are really going out so my son can see a friend and that is the only time that works. If it was just to ski I wouldn't take the risk. I am booked for 12/14-17 staying at PC because that is where the friend is. I do have a car so if the snow is better somewhere else (and you can get to it) I will drive. Just a short trip and I am sure I will find stuff to slide on.

What risk? We got the storms we needed, it was better than expected and the season is well underway with resorts opening terrain as fast as they can and more opening daily.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
What risk? We got the storms we needed, it was better than expected and the season is well underway with resorts opening terrain as fast as they can and more opening daily.

Good news. We fly out next Friday. Skiing Saturday, Sunday and hopefully Monday if work doesn’t get in the way.

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Today should be a great day in the Cottonwoods. Solitude was pure craziness yesterday!!. The snow was hammering from the time i entered the canyon at 8am until the long descent which got me out at 530 pm. high winds, ,low vizibility and free refills were on the menu yesterday. Surprisingly Honeycomb canyon was open,but the honeycomb return lift was shut down so we stayed out of there for fear of getting stuck on the flats. Mountain was empty , especially in the afternoon. reports show like 7-8 inches but i can assure you it was much deeper towards the summit . some really good deep turns were had.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like we're in for a bit of a dry spell so I didn't want to miss the chance of skiing the 5" of fresh that Pow Mow got. It was a windy storm so the conditions varied from soft groomers, dust-on-crust, wind-scoured chalk and, in the leeward areas, boot-top powder! Overall, it was a great day to get up to the hill ad make some turns!

From today:

Powder Mountain 13 Dec 2018.jpg

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowbasin opened Strawberry yesterday and it was awesome considering it was Dec 13. I cannot remember skiing Moonshine this early in the season. The resort is open wall to wall now except for the Mt. Allen tram. Avy control has been started on the tram area.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbasin opened Strawberry yesterday and it was awesome considering it was Dec 13. I cannot remember skiing Moonshine this early in the season. The resort is open wall to wall now except for the Mt. Allen tram. Avy control has been started on the tram area.
It was definitely a treat for the midweek skiers! I actually traded days off so I could head up there yesterday.
I keep eyeing the area below the tram...

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Middlebowl cirque and Mt. Allen tram opened yesterday. Snowbasin pretty much now fully open, only sister bowl and the upper gates to noname remain shut. I think this is one of the earlest times when this much has been open.

Due to major wind event, much of the snow off trail is wind effected so its not skiing as nice as it was last week.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Great to see Snowbasin getting such a good early season but the continual marketing hype of "earliest" & "first time ever" is over the top & getting annoying. In fact my Facebook Memories thing yesterday had me skiing No Name from the top just a few years ago. Why not just tell it like it is? We have snow, we are gonna open stuff. That's what you/we paid for!
December 2, 2016
B01E36D2-E4B6-45A0-8BB3-04BAF167782A.jpeg

Looking forward to being there after Christmas
Happy Holidays!

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Off-piste at Snowbasin was pretty awesome in places today. Lots of windblown. Strawberry closed due to wind. Porky Face was as good as I've ever seen it for not having snow in a week or more. Really great day out there today!

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Off piste at Solitude was skiing great yesterday as well. alot of mogul skiing yesterday, thats rough on the old bones but sure was a blast.

high traffic groomers definitely had some icy patches yesterday as well. lot was jammed full yesterday .

Sponsor

Staff online