• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
its doable. just need to be patient in the parking lot ( the whole world skis on Saturday) - if you have an IKON pass you don't have to go to the ticket office - cut hard right inside the main Solitude gate and drive all the way to the end , then left towards the slopes - if you park at that end of the lot you can jump on the Eagle express lift - usually have some spots opening up in the early afternoon -
thanks. always good to shake off the after the flight from Chicago.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The clouds/fog parted today about noon and I ventured off-piste (since I could see) and it was lovely! Two school districts were out today and it was a ZOO with my favorite testosterone-filled fearless and also often skill-less--teenage boys. We still need more snow. A lot of rocks poking out again in areas off-piste that I like to ski.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
now that the holiday season is over, I'd like to know the impact of Ikon pass on the crowds at Solitude and Brighton. I'm sure Alta Snowbird were more crowded than last year.
Maybe not much as the Ikon Base Pass was blacked out country wide except Colorado areas like Copper & Winter Park.

Guess where I was skiing! Copper & Winter Park
ogwink

Did hit Deer Valley & the Bird after blackout on way home.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
For those who have been curious about crowds at Solitude this season, the car parks at both the upper and lower bases were full by 10:20 a.m. this morning. At 10:30 a.m. the parking along the edge of the up-bound stretch of the canyon road between the two bases was fully parked with vehicles and I was told that parking along the edge of the up-bound stretch of the canyon road below the lower base nearly extended to that point where the two down-bound lanes down canyon from Solitude merge into one. This is on a day when there was no fresh snowfall, although it was 100% sunny from sunrise to sunset. Brighton's parking facilities were also maxed out early and vehicles could be seen from Solitude's slopes parked along the canyon road in a long line well down canyon from the Big Cottonwood fire station. I've lost track of how many days this season parking capacity in the upper canyon has been exceeded to this degree.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Snowbird was road parked from entry 1 to entry 4 by 10:30 today as well. The mountain never felt busy, lift lines were minimal. I felt as though I could've sold my parking spot when I left at 2:00, lotta people cruising looking for spots.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My flight landed in SLC at 11:20, and I pulled in to the lot at 1:10. Made a hard right and there was a space in front row near the cat walk to the eagle express lift. Was making turns by 1:30. Unfortunately I now have a pair of rock skis. Core shot on the Dynamite. Rocks were everywhere. Fun day but they could use snow.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well there are rock skis and skis that haven't been mounted yet.

Snowbird was road parked from entry 1 to entry 4 by 10:30 today as well. The mountain never felt busy, lift lines were minimal. I felt as though I could've sold my parking spot when I left at 2:00, lotta people cruising looking for spots.

For those who have been curious about crowds at Solitude this season, the car parks at both the upper and lower bases were full by 10:20 a.m. this morning. At 10:30 a.m. the parking along the edge of the up-bound stretch of the canyon road between the two bases was fully parked with vehicles and I was told that parking along the edge of the up-bound stretch of the canyon road below the lower base nearly extended to that point where the two down-bound lanes down canyon from Solitude merge into one. This is on a day when there was no fresh snowfall, although it was 100% sunny from sunrise to sunset. Brighton's parking facilities were also maxed out early and vehicles could be seen from Solitude's slopes parked along the canyon road in a long line well down canyon from the Big Cottonwood fire station. I've lost track of how many days this season parking capacity in the upper canyon has been exceeded to this degree.

And I though Snowbasin had parking issues...

Sheena

Putting on skis
Skier
I have been taking a muti-week group lesson - as a bonus we get up on the lift at 8:00 am. This morning it was pretty foggy at the bottom, but at the top got this view!

Attachments

• snowbasin AN.jpg
    snowbasin AN.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 17

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been taking a muti-week group lesson - as a bonus we get up on the lift at 8:00 am. This morning it was pretty foggy at the bottom, but at the top got this view!
Sweet! Who's your instructor?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Heather. I feel like I have picked up some good pointers, she is super fun to ski with, and there is a pretty fun group of other women to ski with.
I signed up for the next session. Early ups? Yes, please! Heather is great!

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
My flight landed in SLC at 11:20, and I pulled in to the lot at 1:10. Made a hard right and there was a space in front row near the cat walk to the eagle express lift. Was making turns by 1:30. Unfortunately I now have a pair of rock skis. Core shot on the Dynamite. Rocks were everywhere. Fun day but they could use snow.

glad it worked out!

if your not blasting some rocks this time of year your not skiing hard enough ( sounds like you were!)

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
glad it worked out!

if your not blasting some rocks this time of year your not skiing hard enough ( sounds like you were!)
And thanks for tip. It worked like a charm. I couldn’t believe the cars parked on the main road. It was wild.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snow was better than I thought it would be today. Usually these SW flow storms get pretty gloppy at Powder Mountain, but the snow was pretty decent. Report said 5" (I think that is their code for knee deep :cool:), Of course the snow wasn't super deep everywhere but I did get many face shots on some steeper runs. Snowed pretty hard up until I left @1330 (had to go to work) so it was free refills. Can't wait until Fri and Sat!!!

Powder Mountain 16 Jan 2019-3.jpg Powder Mountain 16 Jan 2019-4.jpg

TS
blackke17

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
yesterday was another yellow lens day at Alta - near whiteout conditions kept us in the trees all day long and man did they ski well. 13 inches reported on this first storm. Upper mountain steep trees under Collins were a blast! still managed to blast rock about 10 times but most of that was on the other side of the mountain off Supreme

check out this pic from local news last night. should be a willd MLK weekend.crowds usually scare me away from skiing this weekend but i'm thinking about it IMG_0840.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
yesterday was another yellow lens day at Alta - near whiteout conditions kept us in the trees all day long and man did they ski well. 13 inches reported on this first storm. Upper mountain steep trees under Collins were a blast! still managed to blast rock about 10 times but most of that was on the other side of the mountain off Supreme

check out this pic from local news last night. should be a willd MLK weekend.crowds usually scare me away from skiing this weekend but i'm thinking about it View attachment 63092
They said it wrong.
Preparing for the BEST storm in two years. :D

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January