• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Joshuawjc

Getting on the lift
Skier
Quick question on Squaw parking: I'm thinking about a modified half-day tomorrow, getting to Squaw around 1130 and then just skiing to the bell. But I've noticed on these big holiday weekends, Squaw will often send out a tweet at 1030-1100 saying the parking is full. So what does that....mean....exactly?

If I get there at 1130, will I be able to circle for a bit and find people leaving early (preferably near Far East!), and sneak into a spot? Or will there be armed guards with attack dogs telling me to turn around, not even letting me near the base?

Thanks for any advice!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
parking full means parking full

i suggest if you see that tweet, especially if thats near your eta, attempt to a go towards squaw creek and find a free spot near there and hike in first.

if its been 2hrs since the tweet maybe you can see if there are spaces opened up .

At least at alpine for equivilant scenarios, there will be someone posted at the bottom to turn you into the overflow lot and not let you go up, unless you choose to be a jerk and disobey and blow past him. what are they really going to do.
Ultimately you can always choose to break the social constructs, but this depends your moral compass.

Last edited:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Joshuawjc Parking will be a problem tomorrow - especially at 11. The parking lot was full today. Arrive a bit earlier and hang out in the village until you are ready to ski. I'd offer you a spot at my house but we might be full as well. And I'm a 10 minute walk from Far East.

West Face on KT was as good as it's been for years. Decent size bumps, soft but grippy snow and no crowds. I don't know where all the people were but my bump fanatic buddy wouldn't leave West Face to find them and let me get some rest. We did get Olympic Lady and one lap on the Resort - excellent. But West Face drew him back.

Speaking of backs, my back is now shot. In a fun way!

Friends of my son enjoyed the whole mountain, including some nice powder leftovers on Granite. Traffic out was pretty bad so they stopped by for some popcorn to let the traffic subside. More fun times!

Eric

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Squaw today. It was awesome, even though the snow was all cut up. The parking seemed almost full, and there were lots of people on the mountain, but KT22, Headwall, Granite Chief and Red Dog had minimal lines when we were there. Siberia, Gold Coast and Shirley had longer lines, but not too bad. Snow conditions were great.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Help needed from the Tahoe folks. Created myself a bit of a problem so any leads appreciated. Due to be skiing for 2 weeks so may have made a very costly error

X post from Equipment

Skier
I am an idiot!

Just got to airport for my flight LHR-SFO and realised I 'm missing a heel/ toe for one of my demo bindings which I'd taken off for easier packing.

So I'm looking to beg borrow or buy a heel and toe for the OLD style (worm screw) Marker Griffon/ Jester demo bindings. Wide brake pref but needs must. Will travel to anywhere in the basin/ Reno /Carson or even en route between SFO etc if I get a message by the time I land. Alternately please point me at any stores that for certain have these older style demos and might be able to hook me up. As I'll be in the air ability to ring around today is severely hampered.

Thanks for any advice / assistance. Otherwise I've paid to carry 2 pairs of skis I can't use.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Help needed from the Tahoe folks. Created myself a bit of a problem so any leads appreciated. Due to be skiing for 2 weeks so may have made a very costly error

X post from Equipment

Skier
I am an idiot!

Just got to airport for my flight LHR-SFO and realised I 'm missing a heel/ toe for one of my demo bindings which I'd taken off for easier packing.

So I'm looking to beg borrow or buy a heel and toe for the OLD style (worm screw) Marker Griffon/ Jester demo bindings. Wide brake pref but needs must. Will travel to anywhere in the basin/ Reno /Carson or even en route between SFO etc if I get a message by the time I land. Alternately please point me at any stores that for certain have these older style demos and might be able to hook me up. As I'll be in the air ability to ring around today is severely hampered.

Thanks for any advice / assistance. Otherwise I've paid to carry 2 pairs of skis I can't use.
All i can think of is calling Bluezone? They open 7:30. Best luck!

https://bluezonesports.com/

Sean

I don’t see any holes
Skier

X post from Equipment

Skier
I am an idiot!

Call Tahoe sports hub
530.582.4510 they run through a lot of larger demo bindings and may be able to help you out. They’re on west river street in truckee.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Why is Caltrans closing lanes on I80 East in Central Valley on Friday night? 15-20 min delays out of nothing. I’ve never been that much irritated with their decisions in years. Bizarre highway closures for days (interstate!), abysmal communication, list goes on. I’m sure there is some logic to it but nobody bothers to inform the public.

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
Close to 14000 people on the mountain according to some sources. Crazytown.

Huh. It didn’t feel that crowded. I only got to KT and Headwall and lines were minimal. Perhaps everyone was up higher?

Snow is great right now, soft and grippy. Some more experienced friends led me down new lines off Headwall. Sun bowl is a bit crusty, though.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There was a line at Far East at opening bell. Very rare. But by the time we got our boots on and MCP issues quickly resolved, the line was gone. Far East to KT to Headwall to Broken Arrow to Silverado - no lines at all. Lap on Silverado (my first time on Oregon trail, fun) and it did get busy on Silverado. But not outrageous. No crazytown that we experienced.

Back down to the bottom to meet the rest of the group. They did have to park at the house and walk over as the lot filled early. But we never saw a long line for the rest of the day. Found lunch seats near Wildflour in rooms that I hadn't seen open before. Good on Squaw for opening more desperately needed seating at the base.

Fun afternoon rides on Gondola, Gold Coast, Emigrant, Shirley and Solitude. Mostly ski on. Soft grippy snow. The light got flat at times - at least I didn't vertigo off the cornice at Granite but it was close until the guy in the bright suit dropped in in front of me.

Nice day.

Eric