• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This one really pisses me off. One of the days, on 80 there was a spin out and they held traffic for a while. Long line of cars in a single lane with snow on each side. A few idiots thought we were just sitting there enjoying the scenery and went around us to the left over snow to get ahead. No way I'm letting people like that merge back in when we start moving.

One time I had the pleasure of seeing someone pull onto the shoulder to go around traffic on the interstate here, followed a couple of seconds later by a police officer pulling out behind him and pulling him over.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
One time I had the pleasure of seeing someone pull onto the shoulder to go around traffic on the interstate here, followed a couple of seconds later by a police officer pulling out behind him and pulling him over.
Haha.

"Instant Karma's gonna get you, gonna knock you right on the head" :D

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As for I80 closure I will say this. A few pages back, I described going to Boreal (from Donner Lake) to pick up some friends on Saturday, around 3:30. WB was closed, but i sweet talked myself onto it. I may have made a mistake as there was literally 0 vis at times. A great deal of patience, calm, and experience got me there. It was closed and it should have been. I realize nobody is debating that.

No one here is debating that, but wow, when you look at the vitriol on Twitter etc., it makes me sad. I was driving around Donner Lake around the same time that you were headed to Boreal. It was fine as long as the wind wasn't blowing because the trees gave contrast, etc., but the moment the wind picked up I had no idea whether I was two feet away from the right snowbank or on the wrong side of the road. I can imagine it was 10x worse on the summit.

I've a running list of storm driving pet peeves, among them and one of the easiest to fix: drivers who rely on their day runners/auto mode for their lights. Day runners on does not mean that tail lights are on. And sometimes it's bright enough that auto mode doesn't turn on head and tail lights. Flip the headlights on and make yourself visible from behind! :)

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
No one here is debating that, but wow, when you look at the vitriol on Twitter etc., it makes me sad. I was driving around Donner Lake around the same time that you were headed to Boreal. It was fine as long as the wind wasn't blowing because the trees gave contrast, etc., but the moment the wind picked up I had no idea whether I was two feet away from the right snowbank or on the wrong side of the road. I can imagine it was 10x worse on the summit.

I've a running list of storm driving pet peeves, among them and one of the easiest to fix: drivers who rely on their day runners/auto mode for their lights. Day runners on does not mean that tail lights are on. And sometimes it's bright enough that auto mode doesn't turn on head and tail lights. Flip the headlights on and make yourself visible from behind! :)
Yep. AND, in low vis low speed, I put the blinkers on. I don't understand why more people don't do this. In low vis I want to do everything I can to make myself visible. BTW, on Donner Pass rd on may way out to boreal there was a white nissan altima coming at me . . . with no headlights or anything on. I kept flashing my lights at them until they passed, but never saw them turn their's on . . . :nono::nono:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
ac_0420w.jpg

Most all day skied many fresh untracked lines again yesterday Monday 2/11. Trip report:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/dodge-ridge-31-fresh.14075/#post-324531

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
80 just not getting any breaks this season...

That makes me feel a little better about my 6 a.m. decision that I needed another day to recuperate from this stinking cold that's plaguing me. This would have happened just before I got to Baxter.

I just read that i's cleared up now.

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Yep. AND, in low vis low speed, I put the blinkers on. I don't understand why more people don't do this. In low vis I want to do everything I can to make myself visible. BTW, on Donner Pass rd on may way out to boreal there was a white nissan altima coming at me . . . with no headlights or anything on. I kept flashing my lights at them until they passed, but never saw them turn their's on . . . :nono::nono:

Blinkers usually indicate that something is wrong and/or you are in distress or in an unusual situation. I appreciate people putting on their blinkers when there is a hazard ahead, or when. they are in an emergency stop situation. Driving with blinkers on is a bit extreme. If someone cannot notice a car with lights on, the blinkers won't do a thing.

And when I see idiots doing dangerous things on the highway I shrug and let them pass (at least when I am on a good day, I had my share of silly responses)... Out of sight, out of mind...

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Blinkers usually indicate that something is wrong and/or you are in distress or in an unusual situation. I appreciate people putting on their blinkers when there is a hazard ahead, or when. they are in an emergency stop situation. Driving with blinkers on is a bit extreme. If someone cannot notice a car with lights on, the blinkers won't do a thing.

And when I see idiots doing dangerous things on the highway I shrug and let them pass (at least when I am on a good day, I had my share of silly responses)... Out of sight, out of mind...
I could have been clearer: I mean in the kind of low vis I experienced saturday. Not your run of the mill "reduced vis". I kept losing track of the semi I was following. They had on their blinkers, but, unfortunately, their taillights consisted of two palm sized circles.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This one really pisses me off. One of the days, on 80 there was a spin out and they held traffic for a while. Long line of cars in a single lane with snow on each side. A few idiots thought we were just sitting there enjoying the scenery and went around us to the left over snow to get ahead. No way I'm letting people like that merge back in when we start moving.
Be nice

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
The wise will avoid skiing the following 3 days as a huge imminent dump of Sierra Cement plasters atop our current superb dry cold snow. :( Let's hope forecaster got it wrong and most of it goes south to LALA Land. And then over this coming holiday weekend that many like this person have blacked out pass dates for, we get compensation in a capping layer of more extra cold light dry snow. So looks like I may be away from snow till after the weekend. Avalanche issues may become worst in years.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today would have been a very nice day - if it hadn't followed yesterday. The snow was soft, visibility tolerable, crowds light but not empty, cool but not cold and really fun little bumps. But the legs were too tired, the snow had to be shoveled before the rain and I just couldn't stay out very long. Fun short day.

Tomorrow, who knows?

Eric

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
A bit of a perspective to the last few messages: sure it was a big storm. But "Tahoe dumps" happen in Tahoe regularly, maybe not quite as big as this one, but certainly not far behind. And if your operations can't handle them to some degree, then it's your problem..

Agree with @Eleeski and @Alexzn on this. Since KSL took over it seems they have less staff and less qualified staff so getting open or getting lifts fixed
is taking longer than ever.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug @Andy Mink @Stephen and I came down to Mammoth Monday night with clear skies and fair winds, but things have changed drastically as the weather man predicted.
Wind is fierce, 3-5 Feet of snow is predicted and no one knows if the demo is going to go off, but my spidey sense says we'll be hunkered down in the condo Wednesday.

Many shops who were coming to the demo days have turned around because 395 is closed.
We skied June Mountain yesterday morning but on our way back there was big wind across the meadow and we witnessed a head on collision (slow speed, no one was hurt) but that is a tell tale sign that the visibility in this wind is the biggest culprit.

Stay safe out there.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Agree with @Eleeski and @Alexzn on this. Since KSL took over it seems they have less staff and less qualified staff so getting open or getting lifts fixed
is taking longer than ever.
Its not just KSL.
Everyone has less staff and less qualified people to open.
There is a minimal amount of workforce left in the ski towns than there used to be. That is a fact.
I know of at least 20 ski resort employees in the Tahoe area who have taken non ski related jobs to have year round work and reliable income. The added insult is that the infrastructure is horrible at management so employees who do work at resorts are having a hard time getting there.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
51612641_10157206097071340_3411482619018215424_n.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
From the DRI weather station on Slide Mountain, top of Mt. Rose ski area. A but breezy.
20190213_054119.jpg