• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think we can all look in the mirror for the answer to your question. Too many people trying to beat the traffic home at the end of a three-day weekend. Or it could be this guy. View attachment 63478
Picture was taken late afternoon on Sat. outside South Lake Brewing Company. I thought all Range Rovers were 4WD. In fairness, we don't know what his driveway looks like, but there were people taking chains off after going over Echo Summit on Monday afternoon.

It took me at least an extra hour to get onto climb out of South Tahoe leaving before 1 PM on Monday, taking all the shortcuts and driving past the local traffic only signs. The people who did not ignore the sign looked like they were going to be parked on Sawmill for a long time. Once on the climb, the traffic was not that bad.
In their defense, sometimes you need more traction. Many years ago I worked for the USFS marking timber in a burn area in Northern CA. Chained up all 4 on the Ramcharger every day to get through the snow and mud. We could do it in about two minutes with four of us.

Joshuawjc

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was in line for third chair on Summit at Alpine at about 810 AM, and the prospect of powder dulled the crowd's critical-thinking abilities, as we waited for the lift to spin. These are the lies we told ourselves, swept up by first-tracks madness:

-- "The mountains weren't that crowded Friday or Saturday, so maybe it's not as big a year this year." (Nah, it was just that the freezing ice fog at the resorts on the crest kept people indoors, even before the Sunday deluge.)
-- "I think the weather on Sunday scared a lot of people away and they left to go home early." (Nah, everyone who is up here knows how to read a powder forecast.)
-- "If you leave Alpine by 2 or 2:30, you'll have no trouble getting back to Truckee. People want to get their whole ski day in." (I left at 100 PM on the nose and pulled into Morgan's for a crab roll at 305 PM).
-- "Just let it thin out in the afternoon and get on 80 after 6PM, it'll be fine." (Departed Truckee at 910 PM and still took an hour to Kingvale.)

I feel like these *may* have been reasonable rules in years past, but as in the Rams-Saints game, the rulebook has been thrown out...at least on holiday powder weekends.

Of course, every last bit was worth it -- Sherwood didn't have a real lift line until 1030 AM!!!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks, that made me feel better. It was a running debate in my head if I should have waited until after 6p.

Anyways, safely home now, so all well now.
Usually after 6 is safe. But took me 2.5 hours to get from donner lake to Auburn. Google took me up Donner Pass Rd past Sugar Bowl. That was the "fast" way. Holiday weekend and amazing powder day = worst traffic I've been stuck in in years (I am usually good at avoiding.)

Was it worth it?

:yeah:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
E8532863-F52D-4205-BD10-2E4C68E6CE89.jpeg Today was good at squaw. No lines
Some powder if you knew where to find it.
Mostly packed. Some ice on heavily traveled runs.
Eg mt. Run. Best snow was on Solitude & upper Funnel. Worst snow on lower Funnel - skiers left. Ok on skiers right.

Das Beast aus Deutschland. It showed up at Squaw after 8 feet of snow in 2 weeks.

This pushes the envelope for portable snowblowers. Will clear any driveway or deck in less than 5 min. Who wants one ! !

3 1/2 ft of new snow- no problem!

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Although yesterday will rate high over this season's best days, I'm pretty confident much better powder day(s) are likely this season at even deeper depths of extra dry cold fluff and it will occur mid-week with a lot less people.

As I noted expectations earlier, the packed powder now on Little Dipper at 8.6k to 9.5k is as good as it gets midwinter's so all this week will be glorious. Also note all obstacles are gone.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In their defense, sometimes you need more traction. Many years ago I worked for the USFS marking timber in a burn area in Northern CA. Chained up all 4 on the Ramcharger every day to get through the snow and mud. We could do it in about two minutes with four of us.

Yea, nothing wrong with chains, he's not the one causing the spinouts or in the ditch. Not everyone wants machoistic type2 or type3 fun just so they can lord it over everyone else in the forums later.

What I do notice though, is that he's got the cheapest ladder chains, at least spring the extra $20 for the z-chains that you can put on without moving the car.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey All,

I’ve finally made it to Tahoe! My season starts with day one, tomorrow @squaw/alpine. If anyone wants to meet up for some after lunch runs, send me a message.
....I’ll be using the morning to re-learn to ski...:wave:
We were thinking about Mt Rose, but perhaps we can convince @Andy Mink and @Philpug to ski Squaw/Alpine

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m here until Saturday, so hopefully we can meet sometime between now and then.
We're at Mt Rose today but are thinking of hitting Squaw or Alpine tomorrow.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug @Andy Mink and I hit Mt Rose today. I had the guys schlep three pair of skis for me; Liberty VMT 76 w, K2 Mindbender 88 Ti Alliance, and Nordica Santa Ana 88 Proto.
My hope was to ski the VMT for a bit on fresh groomers then switch to the Mindbender and Santa Ana 88 to ski back to back, since they're in the same class.
First, The snow was unbelievably good, and I was having a blast skiing on the K2 Mindbender Alliance 88s and didn't t want to quit but the wind was picking up and I was incredibly hungry so we went in to see if the wind would calm down and get a bit of nourishment before switching to the Santa Ana 88. Alas, it was not meant to be, as the wind picked up and the lifts were shut down.
More fun to be had on these tomorrow.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug @Andy Mink and I hit Mt Rose today. I had the guys schlep three pair of skis for me; Liberty VMT 76 w, K2 Mindbender 88 Ti Alliance, and Nordica Santa Ana 88 Proto.
My hope was to ski the VMT for a bit on fresh groomers then switch to the Mindbender and Santa Ana 88 to ski back to back, since they're in the same class.
First, The snow was unbelievably good, and I was having a blast skiing on the K2 Mindbender Alliance 88s and didn't t want to quit but the wind was picking up and I was incredibly hungry so we went in to see if the wind would calm down and get a bit of nourishment before switching to the Santa Ana 88. Alas, it was not meant to be, as the wind picked up and the lifts were shut down.
More fun to be had on these tomorrow.
@Tricia likes the Mindbender!
20190123_112417_009_01.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor