• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After just barely missing the free t-shirts in 2017, I accomplished the two goals I set for today: get a free t shirt and see a marmot! We were in line a little after 7:30, in the building at 8:10, and about 1/5 of the way up, the funi stopped and bounced. :eek: It got moving soon, but bouncing around in a full funi was unsettling.

On our last run before heading down just before 11, saw a marmot under Gold Coast. That was a treat. I thought I’d have to hike to see a marmot.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After just barely missing the free t-shirts in 2017, I accomplished the two goals I set for today: get a free t shirt and see a marmot! We were in line a little after 7:30, in the building at 8:10, and about 1/5 of the way up, the funi stopped and bounced. :eek: It got moving soon, but bouncing around in a full funi was unsettling.

On our last run before heading down just before 11, saw a marmot under Gold Coast. That was a treat. I thought I’d have to hike to see a marmot.
We got 1 of your two goals. And it wasn't a free shirt!

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After being a half hour and 5000 people behind @Pequenita and her tee shirt, Gordon and I gave up on the crowds. But by noon, the rest of the group was jonesing to do some Fourth of July skiing. So we went back out at noon. It was not empty but also not crowded. Even Shirley had just a 5 minute wait. And really fun snow! Lots of bikinis and shorts. There will be some sunburned folks tomorrow!

The morning session was a novelty ski session. OK, I did it... The afternoon was real skiing. Challenging bumps and flowing cruising. Closing came too early. What fun!

Eric

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Insane lines unlike at Mammoth 2 weeks ago which had no lines most of the time.
Longest line there was 4 min on a Saturday for a short time.

Big difference is you ski under 7 lifts at Mammoth (2 to top) but ski under only 2 at Squaw.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
pics from the 3rd. Great weather. Freeze overnight. Power outage only frustration of the day.

The hike to National started at Shirley...
F4501273-5F1E-4C17-B835-69DCE15885CF.jpeg
Time for the cat tracks...
53B4E8F7-315E-4339-8C6A-C683F479470E.jpeg
Summit shot
A9E50DDF-8063-436C-BDF6-FE1D5B387EA2.jpeg

6EFB4078-032B-4C72-BE65-A10C388F8A2E.jpeg
I skied it as slow as possible. Guys before me took less than 10 seconds.
9E186E03-5300-46EB-A968-3FEEE9C791F6.jpeg
Chicane in the middle added some fun.
8622541A-EE50-4606-8CEB-7043AB329399.jpeg
Exploring the sun ruts back to Gold Coast.
99D27718-B177-4278-A4DE-23FA94A8E367.jpeg

806CC988-5BCF-4F63-BCC4-958014C1F1E0.jpeg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
An update on the bear that was filmed approaching a snowboarder at Northstar in April. Unfortunately can't return to wild due to neurological issues. But this was not caused by contact with the snowboarder. Still, don't let a juvenile bear approach you.

Fortunately this guy will live out his life in a San Diego sanctuary. (The bear, not the snowboarder).

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019/07/04/lake-tahoe-bear-southern-california/

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
An update on the bear that was filmed approaching a snowboarder at Northstar in April. Unfortunately can't return to wild due to neurological issues. But this was not caused by contact with the snowboarder. Still, don't let a juvenile bear approach you.

Fortunately this guy will live out his life in a San Diego sanctuary. (The bear, not the snowboarder).

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019/07/04/lake-tahoe-bear-southern-california/

just shows you have to be really careful around snowboarders before you catch something....:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Was Friday super crowded like yesterday ?

No. There was a short line at Shirley but it moved nicely. Way different crowd than yesterday. Nice vibe with enough spectators to appreciate "Did you see that? I'm the best skier on the mountain!" (Loses a bit on Shirley but I still get the GNAR points.) Very fun day.

We left early to go train for waterskiing in Marysville. Living the good life.

Eric

Saw the Pugski van in real life at Blue Zone. They had just closed and I didn't want to be a pain so I'll say hi here!

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
I just recognized the folks who were on the Funi ride down with me and my daughter last Sunday. It was Amie Engerbretson and her father Jeff. :doh:

https://squawalpine.com/explore/about/amie-engerbretson

We talked about how the Via Ferrara climbing system works for a bit, her friends in Alpenglow running it, and one of her friends climbing Everest several dozen times. She even mentioned just coming back from skiing Alaska and her dad said he wished he could have gone.

I remained oblivious through it all. :roflmao:

You'd think I'd recognize them immediately given that I follow both on Instagram and she's been featured in the last several Squaw posts. :roflmao:

https://instagram.com/aengerbretson?igshid=yde4lw56f755

https://instagram.com/skicamguy?igshid=1ki6wqr1g70pv

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Fun day at Squaw! Last of the season for me. Different day, because I forgot the friggin' poles at home.Warmed up and tried to get used to skiing with no poles at Gold Coast. I found myself sitting @Near Nyquist and a group of puggers. They headed to Shirley but I stayed a little longer still warming up and getting used to this new thing. It turns out that groomers are ok. Offpiste is a different story. Anyway, I headed to Shirley and there were too many people. I simply don't enjoy crowds when skiing:

20190706_102331.jpg
20190706_102936_HDR.jpg 20190706_102950_HDR.jpg

So I headed to the lower part of Sibo Bowl, having fun on natural snow:
20190706_104633_HDR.jpg 20190706_110331.jpg 20190706_111343_HDR.jpg 20190706_111401_HDR.jpg

Conditions out there were a little firmer than I expected, even closer to noon! Some of that sun-cupped snow offpiste was really firm past 11 am. It was a fun day for sure. I closed up with a mild run skiers left from Gold coast, that was ungroomed and still not soft enough to push around the ruts. Anyways, happy happy happy to have skied on July! Thank you, Squaw!
20190706_111412.jpg 20190706_115049.jpg

It's been 10 straight months since October last year. Yeah!

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fun day at Squaw! Last of the season for me. Different day, because I forgot the friggin' poles at home.Warmed up and tried to get used to skiing with no poles at Gold Coast. I found myself sitting @Near Nyquist and a group of puggers. They headed to Shirley but I stayed a little longer still warming up and getting used to this new thing. It turns out that groomers are ok. Offpiste is a different story. Anyway, I headed to Shirley and there were too many people. I simply don't enjoy crowds when skiing:

Nice running into you! I was on the far right of the chair. :)

And what in God's name is that person in the far right singles line at Shirley wearing????:eek:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Nice running into you! I was on the far right of the chair. :)

Yayy!
:beercheer:
And what in God's name is that person in the far right singles line at Shirley wearing????:eek:

I actually wish it was a mankini :roflmao:. It was a full bodysuit, tight as it gets, depicting what would be a muscle system. Kinda like:

Anatomy+Muscle+System+Cardboard+Standup.jpg

I thought the several bikinis around were actually cuter, but hey! :D

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The kids hiked Shirley canyon in the morning. Long hike and very tiring. I worked way harder than them weedwhacking to keep the fire department happy. So we were all pretty spent by the time we got on the hill after noon.

No lines and fun soft snow. It is starting to get thin. The wiggle off Shirley had too many rocks. The WROD into Big Blue was an obstacle course. The return to Shirley was pretty brown. But the bumps off Atkinson's were perfect! The vibe was nice. We couldn't have stayed out longer.

The parking lot was pretty quiet and our funitel ride up we almost had to ourselves. Skied right up to Big Blue. Shirley had some traffic but never had to wait (@Mendieta yours looked like a pretty mellow line for Shirley but more than we saw). After skiing, we went to Fireside. Now things got busier. The village was hopping. Good music from the Dubliner and lots of happy people. Good day.

Eric

Sponsor