• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
It would be great if, with all this new snow and cooler temps, they can continue to run Siberia in June and not shut it down after memorial day as currently planned.
The new snow has at least whitened things up.

Looks like KT is open & people are on their 2nd lap.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's true. Even if it's skiing well and there's a good base, seeing the dirty snow all around just reinforces the feeling that the season end is near. Now we got a good reset, at least on the psychological front :D
Plus the dirt gets in your wax. Sloooooooooowwwwww.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I may have made the wrong call, looking at @4ster's pics. This morning I saw chain controls on 80, web cams showing poor visibility, and lots of other ways to spend my time. :doh:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I may have made the wrong call, looking at @4ster's pics. This morning I saw chain controls on 80, web cams showing poor visibility, and lots of other ways to spend my time. :doh:
That blue sky was a sucker hole. Light was in & out, more out than in.

Great skiing though, lots of Reverse Traverses & mostly freshies. I could even declare refills on some runs.
Glad I rallied
6D11724C-70A4-4ABA-967C-2F3CC93652F1.jpeg

BTW, It was still snowing when I left at 1:30

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Just saw that BA posted an update yesterday.

https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe/post/15323

:(

"
Into the Holiday Weekend:

The trough shifts east a bit starting Wednesday, but hangs back over the Western U.S. through the weekend, and maybe even until the end of May. Several systems may drop into the trough from the north, mainly to our east. That will keep us cool with highs only in the 40's and 50's through the weekend. It also means we could see showers each day through the weekend, the best chance in the afternoons.

A trough moving through Saturday may bring the best shot at showers. The snow levels rise into the weekend, so any snow should stay above 8,000 feet with mainly rain showers for most locations. Just a heads up if you planned to hike in Tahoe this weekend. It will be cold and you could see snow on the peaks.
"

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That blue sky was a sucker hole. Light was in & out, more out than in.

Great skiing though, lots of Reverse Traverses & mostly freshies. I could even declare refills on some runs.
Glad I rallied
View attachment 74442

BTW, It was still snowing when I left at 1:30
Wish I had rallied too! After the poor visibility at Alpine last Friday, I was sure today would be the same, but looks like both visibility and snow conditions were better today. Today may have been my my last chance for powder skiing this season. I'm hoping there's some Spring skiing still to come.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Was waiting for that 8:15 lift update before I rolled out. I definately have to put a little more trust in ALTERRA as they have definately been earning it lately. They could have easily not spun some lifts lately but have been delivering.

Solid 6" up top so def legit pow day. Got on the Funi right around 9:15. Sibo wasn't spinning yet so opted for a few rainbow laps instead of heading to granite so I could catch it right when it opened. Opened a little before 10. Reverse traverse went soon after and it was on.

Visibility was pretty touch and go from lap to lap. My first down headwall was absolute vertigo. Got on the lift and could see a bit again. RT then sidestepped up to the high side of north bowl and ran into Gaffney up there staring into the abyss. Super socked in again. Chilled there for a minute before all of a sudden it broke again. Completely untouched below us! Definately the run of the day!! Pretty quickly the visibility got sketchy again. Mostly how the rest of the day went, you were just hoping to get lucky and be standing on top ready to go rather than on the lift as the quick breaks happened.

Looking like tomorrow early morning might be decent since it seems the snow/rainy mix is pushing back to the mid afternoon. Hopefully patrol decides the palisades are a go and flips first thing again. Got to be 8-9" refresh up there. Probably some other goods left over due to not getting hit in bad visibility.

Tomorrow could possibly be the last good day for a while

I’m on Funi. It’s snowing. Seems busy but I’ve never gotten here this late.
View attachment 74426 View attachment 74427

You definately came up through the sucker hole.. Although when I was leaving around 12:30 it was clear and somewhat sunny in the lot. Had to check the web cam up top before I unbooted to make sure I wasn't rolling out as it was finally opening up again image.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know there's a separate Mammoth thread, but this is the thread where I usually post, so here it goes.
Mammoth never opened yesterday due to wind, and today they are looking like premium 3 inches.
Not a lot of snow, but probably some crazy wind buff with that 3 inches.
Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 7.05.11 AM.png