• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good to see how well it's holding up. Husband and I just booked an impulse trip to Squaw for Memorial Day weekend!
Check Textroverts post from above.
Squaw forecast 5-2019.PNG

I remember skiing Palisades on the fourth of July a few years ago. Bumps were starting to develop there!

I just realized that in June it would be groomers only.
Not necessarily.
Skiing Squaw the 4th of July 2011, we hiked the Palisades, skied slush bumps and rocked Independence day like crazy.
IMG_0969.jpeg

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Crazy late season weather events may occur in next several days, rain,snow wind etc.

Today, for example, the Squaw app showed normal late season operation but suddenly at noon
due to wind the entire mountain shut down except 1 lift. The one lift was KT-22- the mothership !

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier

How was the visibility over at alpine? Was planning on making the turn but checked summit cam at 7:45 while on river road and it was fully socked in (or just manked up). Pretty variable visibility at squaw. Caught granite right, but around 11 when I went out the reverse to classic it was rough. Went around the back and dropped from the cornice which was pretty unnerving looking down into the abyss

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
How was the visibility over at alpine? Was planning on making the turn but checked summit cam at 7:45 while on river road and it was fully socked in (or just manked up). Pretty variable visibility at squaw. Caught granite right, but around 11 when I went out the reverse to classic it was rough. Went around the back and dropped from the cornice which was pretty unnerving looking down into the abyss
Visibility was not great but not bad. Better the first few runs but then got a little foggy at the top.
Summit opened at 8:30, it was a legit powder morning.

A first for me today,skiing powder in the morning and then going for a mountain bike ride…
21A36771-14C5-4077-8615-AB18BD5258B0.jpeg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Visibility was not great
I got there about 10:30 and could not see much at the top. And of course, by that time the snow was all chopped up, making for an extra challenge (especially after three weeks off due to injury and travel).

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Visibility was not great
A first for me today,skiing powder in the morning and then going for a mountain bike ride…
Arrived AM in time to see you head out for MTB riding. Top stayed in a whiteout. First run off top was by braille.
Snow on Alpine Bowl side stayed reasonable. Wolverine side became set up and very hard to turn.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Good news about KT! Hopefully we will get some conditions to make it worthwhile next week.

Skied Alpine for a few runs this morning. I was not planning to ski today but the morning sun seemed like it may last for a few hours. Only expected to ski groomers but they were pretty solid (ice) with rough grooming. With flat light to boot, 3 runs was enough for me. Could've been okay if it had just warmed up & softened a little but with no sun in sight I didn't think that was gonna happen. Off the groomers appeared almost unskiable & a threat to my health without some major technical & tactical adjustments. I did not even attempt to step up to the challenge & I don't even feel guilty. Of the 2 or 3 days this season when I thought I could've just stayed home, today was one of them. I should've recognized the omen when the CHP came up behind me as I pulled onto the highway from my street. After I pulled over to let him by, I ended up following him all the way to Tahoma at extremely conservative, sightseer speeds before he finally U-turned & went back the other way.

A Host at Alpine confirmed that tomorrow will be their final day of the season. :(
34E9D91D-BC91-4B9B-998F-595EBE5835F2.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bummer about Alpine, but then I'm not up there skiing today so I can't whine too much.
Its been a great season.

Sponsor

Staff online