• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
what will Squaw be like Memorial Day weekend? What lifts / runs will be open? Not sure if this weeks storm will have any affect.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I just realized that in June it would be groomers only. Of course, skiing in June is a Gift. You just take it. But it would be so awesome if they could spin Siberia early June. Let's see how this storm turn out!

:crossfingers:
Not necessarily groomers only. I remember some good slush bumps 2 yrs. ago on my last day in late June.

Heck I have even skied powder in June! The first year the Amgen tour was scheduled in Tahoe it snowed a good foot, that was right around this time.
I doubt this storm will do much to effect the longevity of this season but it may whiten things up for a few days along with becoming a sticky mess as soon as the sun hits it. :huh:.
I think I will clean & wax my skis
:snow::popcorn::snow:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Not necessarily groomers only. I remember some good slush bumps 2 yrs. ago on my last day in late June.

Heck I have even skied powder in June! The first year the Amgen tour was scheduled in Tahoe it snowed a good foot, that was right around this time.
I doubt this storm will do much to effect the longevity of this season but it may whiten things up for a few days along with becoming a sticky mess as soon as the sun hits it. :huh:

Well done sir. Every time I see someone skiing with a big smile ... this is it! Where was that? You probably hiked to the area?

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
@Mendieta - From the top of Shirley, skier's left there is a traverse track that forms towards lower portion of Arete. You can drop in anywhere along that line for late season no-hike off-piste at Squaw. :D

I also recall them running Siberia again just for a few days in July, and even opening National.

EDIT: Just checked. The latest day that I skied National in 2017 was June 17th. So maybe Siberia just closed later that year.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
....... The first year the Amgen tour was scheduled in Tahoe it snowed a good foot, that was right around this time.

Looks like they almost got nailed again this year: Monday's second stage (Men's) went over Carson Pass. Three days later would have been a mess if the storm performs as advertised. Wouldn't surprise me if 88 gets closed for a bit.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 0

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just realized that in June it would be groomers only. Of course, skiing in June is a Gift. You just take it. But it would be so awesome if they could spin Siberia early June. Let's see how this storm turn out!

:crossfingers:

I remember skiing Palisades on the fourth of July a few years ago. Bumps were starting to develop there!

Atkinson's off Shirley is often ungroomed and has a fun short bump line (third pitch on skiers right).

@textrovert 's traverse into "Shirley Extremes" can get to fun stuff as well but I get tempted by some fun line on the way there. Last week there was a fun looking wiggle line there but the zipper line next too sweet so I never took it.

In the Amgen snow year, we were up to watch the race but instead rocked the deep untracked powder. By ourselves! That's the longest powder ever lasted at Squaw. This storm might be worthwhile.

Late season goods are available.

Eric

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
In the Amgen snow year, we were up to watch the race but instead rocked the deep untracked powder. By ourselves! That's the longest powder ever lasted at Squaw. This storm might be worthwhile.

Late season goods are available.

Eric
You weren't the only one, I was there too ;) . I arrived jus in time to see all the bikes getting loaded up to move the race down the road for the 2nd day in a row. I didn't have a pass that year but $30 lift tickets that day. I remember getting freshies in the trees off Red Dog ridge after noon.

Sponsor