• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I think that gondola following route 4 is a much more exciting choice and it will be a huge win for Squaw skiers. It looks like it will instantly double the uphill capacity of KT22 on storm days. If the route 4, which placed the mid-station to roughly where the patrol shack is now, becomes a reality, it is almost begs the question of why keep KT-22 (not that anyone is going to seriously consider sacrificing the most Iconic lift at Squaw Valley). if the Mid-station is located on the Saddle, that cuts off most of the KT terrain.

And yes, KT-south looks to be the White Wolf towers. That terrain is actually mostly south-facing, so not a great asset for a ski resort.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ran into couple of friendly faces at Gold Coast.

View attachment 71580
Damn...just missed you guys. We were there too. We showing some east coasters around but did run into @Eleeski. Granite Chief was skiing great and we finished off the day on Westall which had the best chalky snow.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's so much more fun to ski with friends. Thanks @Philpug for letting me join you. Granite was really fun. You dragged us down the steepest pitches there. John earned some bragging rights!

After Phil and John stopped for a break, I went to KT. West Face was OK but needs more skiers to really form the bumps - might take a while as the window between icy and too gooey is short (it was almost too gooey when I skied it). East Face of Olympic Lady was the gem of the day. It had cooked all day and assimilated yesterday's snow nicely into the bumps. Sure, it was soft but that late in the day the sun was oblique enough to firm up past too gooey. Big easy bumps that softly encouraged smooth slow powerful turns. Fun and a great workout.

I'm really glad I was able to sneak in some late season skiing. Worth it!

Eric

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll probably visit Alpine Meadows for the first time this Saturday. Anyone else going to be around?
Also, bring the Laser AX or Z90 ?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'll probably visit Alpine Meadows for the first time this Saturday. Anyone else going to be around?
Also, bring the Laser AX or Z90 ?
Laser. I find the Z90 to be too stiff for spring conditions. I know the Laser isn't a noodle, but its more compliant than the Renoun, imho.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Laser. I find the Z90 to be too stiff for spring conditions. I know the Laser isn't a noodle, but its more compliant than the Renoun, imho.
Depends which Z90...:popcorn: Just sayin'

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone know what lift/area will spin midweek at heavenly next week? Still both cal and nv ? Down to stage and funbarrel still? I assume mott is done....

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
SquAlpine operations update.. Kind of a bummer they only estimate KT until 5/12 but daily operations? on granite till Memorial Day is pretty sweet seeing as it's closed early the past few years. Shame about alpine mostly closing down but at least there is a real reason with the new hot wheels chair on a timeline.
https://squawalpine.com/explore/blog/spring-summer-operations-schedule

Was at alpine this morning since the high-T opened for the first time since Tuesday's refresh. The 4-5" was enough to buff everything out again but it didn't fully freeze last night so between 9-10:30 it transitioned from cornish snow to full hot mank and they closed it. Was decent for a couple laps.

N* was actually really good yesterday with aspects off piste and in the bumps softening up with a longer 10-2:30 or so window. Boca, promised land, and Polaris all had really fun soft deep bumps. Alpine 3-5" Tuesday was the 2 hour powder window. It was good early but got really funky and grabby quick. Anything remotely steep the heavy sluff was chasing you down.

As far as the convo going yesterday about the connector Gondi and KT south here's what I've heard through the mill. KT south is white wolf and is (likely) going to be a private lift for the residents of the new white wolf project. There have been meetings and plans in the works for a few years that will turn WW into a 30-40 home plot private community built up into the hills. I haven't seen the plans but envision a couple roads winding up the canyon that are ski in/out allong the KT south lift. Not sure how they are going to put a bunch of huge houses up there with all the avy danger allong the ridge?

I feel like the project is pretty under the radar due to the fact Troy owns that land so no one is really fighting it from Sierra watch, keep squaw true, etc. Not sure how it will work or its affiliation with ALTERRA/SVSC.
http://whitewolftahoe.com/
http://unofficialalpine.com/?p=9306

The Gondi going with #4 seems like a good choice IMO. It will preserve the terrain out in buttress/Bernies keeping it hike to terrain and have the least impact on the GC wilderness. Only thing that seems strange is where the second loading station will be placed above the alpine parking lot. It's kind of out there and sitting at 7000' so you wouldn't be able to access it from the parking lot and it's a straight side hill traverse above the lot back to the bottom of the main lifts. Looks like it might really just be a station for the white wolf people to access squaw since KT south won't go up to the top to access squaw . Possibly for access to KT south which would not be a private lift? Not very clear..

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
@Tricia posted this Mt Rose sign:
img_0626-jpg.71298

But my avatar says pray for snow LOL

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Kirkwood was very good today. It would have been excellent if they could have run The Wall all day, but it closed not much after 1. We only had 3 laps on it; one early when it needed a little more softening and two in early PM that were great. After entering the top from lookers left, I went over Norms Nose both times. But lift closed as they had concerns about new bullwheel? installed during the week. Friend who has cabin here and I did a few more laps on Cornice before quitting at 230. Other friend who got me here from San Jose this morning skied until 3 and is in picture of cabin below. 66867535-A80D-4CA4-88AA-252B0CA9DC74.jpeg

Rock at center has a couple of holes through it. I should have brought bigger skis as the 4-5” that fell earlier in week had not been skied since Kirkwood was closed Mon-Thur.
FD3FE766-6D81-4F84-9830-F2A186E8895F.jpeg

Added selfie my friend took of us with one of the Sentinels way down Kirkwood’s ridgline visible through the hole in the rock. 62434857-54F4-4177-A8FF-87857DEF9DDC.png

Friend skiing below bought out his siblings and now owns cabin his family built at Kirkwood in 1974. It will be available as a ski lease next winter. 42C3ED39-81C5-4042-9835-E4D165EC60FD.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online