• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
D1CDB5AC-7453-4D37-A7E3-B74E51EA76E8.jpeg
We registered for this and picked up our $100 (in cash) yesterday. It worked like a charm. I recommend for anyone who might be doing spring skiing in the North Lake.

Just don't go to the Chamber offices between 1pm-1:30pm when they take their lunch.
I took advantage of this also. Easy money. Used the cash and discount to get a Kulkea heated Trekker.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey, does anyone have a place between Donner Lake and Squaw/Alpine they particularly like for overnight hot waxing? I’ve been bribing friends....

There is a wax service at Gold Coast. Fresh wax at lunch?

Tahoe Snow Labs ( now Slant Skis) has done excellent tunes for me. They are halfway between Squaw and Tahoe City on 89 so not quite on your way but not far. Lots of wax/tune options.

Eric

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
:eek:

The comments in the video mention the correct action is to scare the cub away so that it does not become comfortable among humans and eventually become candidate for being euthanized. Looks like this one is on their radar and is getting food from people :(

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

The comments in the video mention the correct action is to scare the cub away so that it does not become comfortable among humans and eventually become candidate for being euthanized. Looks like this one is on their radar and is getting food from people :(
There was also a cub in a tree in the village, yes, in the village, last friday. I would have hoped the snowboarder would have moved away. But one concern I would have is, where is mama, and what would she think of me being scary toward her cub?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I'd be quite scared to be approached by a cub like that. And even if I could deal with the cub, the mother might be an issue. No matter what, if this bear smells anything like the one that broke into my truck, I'm not snuggling with it!

Eric

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
have is, where is mama, and what would she think of me being scary toward her cub?

Yes, I'll rather have a bear euthanized, than La Bomba Mendieta sliced, given the choices :D

Now, getting away is probably the safest thing anyways. No need to stay. EXCUSE ME, and off you go. Like on the train. :)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Skied Sierra-at-Tahoe yesterday & today.
D2FE66D6-0B88-46AF-BFFF-B4AAF5BB92DF.jpeg

Some fun Spring snow & slush bumps on Clipper
F21A3C77-7856-458E-9C13-2B9513562CCE.jpeg

About 6” new this morning. It was dumping when I parked but let up soon after.
Out gate 2(?) East of Eastabout. Luv all the dips, rolls, creeks & granite boulders that are all skiable in a big year like this.
3FE81EE2-22EF-47FA-84D7-154AF9816E7A.jpeg

Bottom of Preachers gully
3B9193AE-20B6-4061-846B-8E982054378E.jpeg

Like @Philpug said, things changed as soon as the sun hit around noon.
Out gate 4...
28A6FF9F-B455-414C-BB32-0F19D81DB834.jpeg

Spinning Wheel

Booting up
Skier
039C7692-F09C-4FEC-8F22-2BB91586FD04.jpeg Thanks to everyone who answered my post a few weeks ago about snow tires vs all-seasons for the drive down from Seattle. We had an easy ride and nothing but rain to deal with in each direction, and a mostly beautiful week in between. Looking back over the last several days of posts, it looks like I overlapped with some of you at Alpine and Squaw on a couple of days. I should have posted out plans because it would have been fun to meet some of you - I was on Epic Ski for many years albeit with a record low post count.

Needing to leave a bit early on Saturday to start the long drive (and with a sick wife), my son and I headed up Granite Chief for one of our last runs. Our chair mate, a nice lady wearing a grey jacket and sunglasses, told us all about Smoothie. I’ve only been to Squaw a handful of times and never in the spring so I’d never heard of it but we followed her in and it was a fantastic finish to the week. If you’re out there - thank you for the tip!!

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fun day at Squaw. Missed opening bell by a bit. Dust on crust on Far East in the storm with some nice windblown deeper areas but still a challenge. So to the Funitel to see if they got a bit more up top.

It cleared up on the ride up. Headwall was open (how does it get tracked up so fast?). But so was Emigrant and the shortcut to Granite was calling me. Riding Emigrant up over the untracked was too much - and Granite looked busy. So a lap of Emigrant in pretty nice powder. Not quite enough up high but nice in the Gold Coast trees. Maybe the flatter pitch let me turn more gently and not go through - or maybe the trees kept the wind from blowing the snow away. This was fun.

Up Emigrant to Granite. The entry to Break it Out is a lot easier from Emigrant but that looked tracked. Nobody was dropping into Shirley from there - so I did. Awesome! Shirley was crowded and the tracked out snow wasn't that much fun so I went for another lap of Emigrant. My route had been discovered but there was a cat track dividing the pitch so I was still able to find the goods. I actually got a couple more spectacular laps (cutting through the Nastar course to get the Gold Coast trees as a bonus) before it was gone.

By now it was sunny and warm and time to get to work. Heading back to Far East, well I needed to take KT back. East Face of Olympic lady had warmed up and was very interesting. Gooey to the extreme but if I put enough energy into it it was fun. By the end of the gully, I'd figured out the snow and really enjoyed it.

Ski time was over. Last powder day of the season? Regardless, tomorrow will be fun.

Eric

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Good to see a decent updated map. SVAM's original proposal showed the Cornice II lift with the Gondola near it. Lol.
If the Gondola is to be built at all I'd prefer alternative 4 (the Forest Service choice)

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Looks like the "approved" alternative-4 sticks to existing chair line paths mostly over KT- overlapping Exhibition & KT-22. this does keep the fingers, west face etc. all unaffected, which is nice.

What is that "KT South" chair? It's drawn on the map as if it's an existing chair.

Gondola-Route-Alternatives-min.jpg

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maybe that’s the White Wolf area towers???

That's what it looks like to me, too.

I don't plan on reading the EIR. I suspect I know the answer to this: does the mid-mountain station imply a potential ski-able terrain expansion? Is the environmental impact of skiing under the AM side of the gondola part of the review or is that not reasonably foreseeable (because it's sort of foreseeable to me....)?

Spinning Wheel

Booting up
Skier
Maybe that’s the White Wolf area towers???

Yup, it is White Wolf. I did some research on the ride home trying to figure out what that lift was, and then I read up on the California Express. I did specifically read that the the White Wolf lift line was labeled as "KT South" in the proposal. Interesting story, seems like they are all playing nice now.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, roughly speaking, does anyone remember when the Rose expansion is supposed to happen ? Thanks!
I know they got the go ahead from USFS but I don't know what the plan is. I would think the earliest would be 20-21 but we might get surprised. Or disappointed.

Sponsor