• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
This year the money holds and closures seem to have intensified. The pressure to drive down the costs is relentless. I really fail to see how Alpine can "prepare for the construction of the new Hot Wheels chairlift" with this much snow on the ground. What are they going to do, start digging?

This is nothing more than closing terrain that they deem "non-essential" and not worth keeping open for the small number of visitors that still come. The calculation is that they will be happy with Summit and Roundhouse. Some of my best spring turns in the past were on Sherwood in the morning and Promised Land off Scott in the afternoon. Not this year.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
[
Some of my best spring turns in the past were on Sherwood in the morning and Promised Land off Scott in the afternoon. Not this year.
Agreed. These were the elements that made Alpine THE place for spring skiing. :(
My Ikon Pass is losing value. No wonder spellcheck keeps wanting it to be “I-CON”

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
But I guess I could get excited about the chance to Ski Mount Buller in Australia... NOT!

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'll have to make it up to Alpine on Sunday, it seems. Squaw on Monday and I'll have hit 30 days this season. I'm actually kind of ready for some summer activities, although backpacking season is going to be limited this year.

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
IMG_20190415_103545-EFFECTS.jpg We went back up to Squaw today, which had nice soft wet packed snow, with a light coating from the constant flurries, but the wind was pretty fierce. It was even worse than Sunday/yesterday. We got in a couple of runs off Big Blue before they shut it down - along with many of the upper mtn lifts. I think Gold Coast was still running when we left (after a courtesy snowmobile ride back to the Funitel, since we were stranded at the windheld BB). So a whole lot of effort today for two (!) runs. But it was blowing very hard, and I totally grant that they could not operate safely under this circumstances.

Felt bad for the family who'd flown in and bought day passes or something that were behind us. I'd assumed most people skiing on Tax Filing Day would have had season passes of some kind, but I guess not.

I'm not sure this picture captures how much wind/snow there was.
AF1QipO8UAlDOrGbGRD1_Bh02kumFgM2nQk4WrF1Ak6W

Last edited:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@aubergine You should have stayed at the bottom. The top looked fully engulfed in storm early but the bottom stayed pretty good for a while. I quit too early but was able to work outside comfortably until mid afternoon.

It was pretty quiet. I did see people decide not to buy tickets. Can't blame them much as I overheard that when I was quitting.

Eric

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It blows me away that Mt. Rose is running 261"(21'!) less than 16/17 yet on the hill it seems like there is so much more. Cooler temps and lots of overcast days this year really made a huge difference on how the snow is holding. Crazy!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
It blows me away that Mt. Rose is running 261"(21'!) less than 16/17 yet on the hill it seems like there is so much more. Cooler temps and lots of overcast days this year really made a huge difference on how the snow is holding. Crazy!

Yes. This was the first winter since I moved here almost 10 years ago. The snow mostly fell little by little. Entire weeks of continuous, slow precip.

Yet, Rose is still closing end of April, right?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. This was the first winter since I moved here almost 10 years ago. The snow mostly fell little by little. Entire weeks of continuous, slow precip.

Yet, Rose is still closing end of April, right?
Correct. 4/28. They lost a lot of big days during to weather and road closures. Presidents' Day weekend was a bust instead of the big one for walk-up passes. The only people skiing now, for the most part, are season pass holders.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey, does anyone have a place between Donner Lake and Squaw/Alpine they particularly like for overnight hot waxing? I’ve been bribing friends....

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Hey, does anyone have a place between Donner Lake and Squaw/Alpine they particularly like for overnight hot waxing? I’ve been bribing friends....

Normally it’s Soren at Skis and More next door to Blue Coyote in Truckee, but he’s closed for the season now. Second choice would be Mountain Mike’s near Olympic Boot Shop at Squaw.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Normally it’s Soren at Skis and More next door to Blue Coyote in Truckee, but he’s closed for the season now. Second choice would be Mountain Mike’s near Olympic Boot Shop at Squaw.

Thx, I was thinking Mountain Mike’s.

What have you been bribing them with ?

Beer, food, and the presence of my charming personality.

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but for those staying in Town of Truckee tax paying properties for a couple of nights there is this promotion running

https://www.truckee.com/100-cash-lodging-promo/

I registered for it, for a trip in April.

Hope there is still some snow left by then!

We registered for this and picked up our $100 (in cash) yesterday. It worked like a charm. I recommend for anyone who might be doing spring skiing in the North Lake.

Just don't go to the Chamber offices between 1pm-1:30pm when they take their lunch.