California/Nevada 2018-19 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups Thread....

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by Jed Peters, Sep 3, 2018.

1. textrovert

textrovert Reelin' in the years Skier

I was at Sierra today from 10 to just past noon.
    They are closing next weekend. So this would be my Sierra closer. Nice mellow day. Was cloudy all morning and more coming in.

Top of West Bowl, Powderhorn with Mt. Pyramid in the back.
    IMG_20190414_103618.jpg

Eastabout was groomed again. Nice spring snow to push around.
    IMG_20190414_113107.jpg

Huge berms still holding up. Parking lot was at least a couple of stories high. The road out of Sierra had higher than bus level. And it's closing day next Sunday. :doh: But crowd definitely has dropped off big time. No lines anywhere.
    IMG_20190414_122740-01.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  2. textrovert

textrovert Reelin' in the years Skier

3. aubergine

aubergine Booting up Skier

We had a nice day up at Squaw from 10a-2p. Parking was easy near the Far East lift, and we took the Tram up and then the Funitel down. Just hopped around the big expanse of Gold Coast, Big Blue, and whatever those other lifts to the right are named. Snow was soft and creamy in the morning, finally turning a little slushy by the end of the day. However the wind was pretty strong, and made it uncomfortable traversing on the ridges, but once we got below the rideline it was better. I didn't want to push my 9yr old so we downloaded back to the parking lot. There were hardly any people there, nor lines, but because I had not been to SV in 21 years, I had not realized the extent of development nor how long the parking walk/tram/base area navigation would actually take (too long!). Normally my SO drops us all off at ski areas and picks us up, so we've gotten spoiled....

Hopefully we'll get some freshies tomorrow. The clouds / overcast suggests something is coming. We had a few bouts of flurries in the afternoon.

4. Pequenita

Pequenita Out on the slopes Skier

Huh. The large tree above the skier in your last photo looks a lot like the tree I slid (very, very slowly) into a few weeks ago and got one ski stuck in the lower branches and other one ultimately with the tail buried.

5. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

From OpenSnow.com
    Snip:
    The heaviest precipitation looks like it will push in Monday afternoon. Snow levels look a little lower on the latest model runs. They could start around 7,000 feet and then fall near lake level by Monday evening. The heaviest snow could fall Monday evening with the front, and then lingering snow showers into Monday night with snow levels lowering as low as 5,000 feet.

textrovert, skibum4ever and Mendieta like this.

6. Alexzn

Alexzn Ski Squaw Skier

Rumor says that yesterday was the last day of Silverado, and I also heard that they will begin to turn off the RedDog/SquawCreek/FarEast lifts. It’s not about snow ( there is plenty), it’s about not having enough people on the mountain to run the lifts. No Silverado means no Smoothie and no Oregon Trail too.

John Webb, 4ster and Mendieta like this.
  7. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

That's unfortunate, but I'm seeing it at the shop. Seasonal employees are shifting to their summer jobs. You would think the abundance of snow would delay the shift to summer jobs but, from what I'm hearing, the abundance of snow is making the shift to summer jobs more critical because there is a lot more work to do because of the snow.

oldfashoned, textrovert and Mendieta like this.
  8. 4ster

4ster Now with more photos! Instructor

Oh well, if ever I get to ski Silverado it will be like a brand new ski area :daffy:

9. John Webb

John Webb mdskier Skier

Sad. I really want to do Smoothie this year. It’s open so rarely that I’ve never done it.

Met several employees on lifts last week. They were all talking about leaving for home in S America in next few days.
    Not sure why they don't extend work for several weeks?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Mendieta and textrovert like this.
  10. Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski Out on the slopes Skier

If summer employers are hiring now, then it's now or never if you want to work.

textrovert likes this.
  11. oldfashoned

oldfashoned Getting off the lift Skier

One of the consequences of the spinning down lifts is the dedicated skies stop making the trip, either day or weekend. I wouldn’t drive up just to Ski Shirley Lake, even though I’d love just to ski even for an hour.

textrovert likes this.
  12. Alexzn

Alexzn Ski Squaw Skier

Overall, great skiing this weekend, Saturday was decidedly batter, as it was cold in the morning and sunny, which makes for a great corn cycle conditions. Sunday was way worse, with variable clouds, and warm weather. I was surprised why patrol kept Smoothie open, as they usually do not do that to prevent the damage to the run, but I guess they knew that it would be the last day, so they let people on it. I did break through on one of my turns on the bottom, so I guess my concerns were justified. The snow on Sunday afternoon was pretty dreary, soft and sticky. I was coming into empty Sibo lift corral at speed when suddenly my left ski grabbed onto the snow so hard that it ejected my heel. Faceplant into the snow, but not too much consequences except a mildly sore shoulder and wounded pride. The hill definitely feels diminished, I guess we had a very long winter and a really short spring season.

In the morning Squaw held the Billy Dutton Uphill race, its a weird format where you race up Montain Run to High Camp on whatever gear you want. Some people were on touring gear, some people were running, but the smart money was on cross country gear. Here the start line, number 57 is JT Holmes. IMG_3335.jpg

13. Alexzn

Alexzn Ski Squaw Skier

Shirley will be one of the last lifts at Squaw to stop spinning. By the end of the season I think it will be Gold Coast, Shirley and Sibo only running with Reverse Traverse access to some Headwall terrain. Rumor says that whether KT spins past mid-May will depends on the number of skiers.

John Webb, oldfashoned and textrovert like this.
  14. Tony

Tony tseeb Skier

I rode with a ski school supervisor at Northstar on Friday who confirmed that they have not been running Arrow lift due to lack of staff. (Probably also why they were not running Lookout Link drag lift, forcing everyone not starting in Martis to take mostly tedious Bypass). He said that many of their S American employees were students and that they returned home to start fall semester. I also heard that some of them are limited to 90 or 120 days.

While it would be nice to have Silverado open, there was a big rock just outside the rope-lines at the base that showed more each time I got to bottom. There was enough snow in the area that it could have easily been covered. I also saw Heavenly is not running Galaxy (not a big loss) or Mott today and suspect they may have joined Boulder as done for the season. Kirkwood is down to 5, 6, 7 and 11 (The Reut), even though chair 10 (The Wall) is the chair that serves steep N-facing that can be skiable late into afternoon.

15. oldfashoned

oldfashoned Getting off the lift Skier

Missed out on Smoothies this season. Either I was at Alpine for lower mountain when it was open.
    I did get to learn Silverado a little this season. Mainly entering from gates 2/3 (I think)and had a fun time exploring a new area.

Eric267, John Webb and textrovert like this.
  16. John Webb

John Webb mdskier Skier

One of Sugar Bowls snow cannons they forgot to move.
    It’s roped off and buried on a trail ironically under 8 ft
    of NATURAL snow. Maybe they can get it in June when the snow melts
    B32772C0-C421-494A-B3CD-BFEFA8809402.jpeg 7BF40EAC-4D91-4078-9E42-CB34A4B25C65.jpeg Road to SugarBowl today! I’m there using my 3rd Powder Alliance day Before they close this weekend :-(
    Quite windy but Lincoln & Disney stay open to top.

Squaw is pretty shut with wind.. Limited to KT and Funitel for Mt Run only
    (even Red Dog is closed). Top of hill at Alpine is Roundhouse.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    textrovert likes this.
  17. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

The snow was really good at Rose this AM but man was it windy...I am not sure what time they went on wind hold bure it couldn't have been much after I left at 11.

oldfashoned, John Webb and textrovert like this.
  18. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

This summer!!! Famous last words. We'll see.

textrovert likes this.
  19. Andy Mink

Andy Mink I am a half fast skier. Moderator Pugski Ski Tester

The season MUST carry on! I'm waiting for swelling in my foot (either gout or ?) to calm down so A) the pain stops and B) I can get my foot back in the boot! GRRRR!

Philpug, Bobalooski and textrovert like this.
  20. Eleeski

Eleeski Out on the slopes Skier

I forgot how much fun spring snow is!

I got a couple laps at Squaw this morning before the storm moved in for real. Fun, slow, grippy, soft snow made the bumps and steeps easy. After driving in late last night to warm sprinkles of rain and having read some of the threads discussing waxes to avoid broken legs, I was not looking forward to anything more than some exercise. It took about two turns to light up my smile. Spring snow is wonderful!

After a couple laps, it started raining (snowing at the top of KT). Not much but enough to hinder visibility. Since I wasn't going out for long and it was sunny when I left the cabin, I went without contacts. Mistake once the clouds rolled in. The sun in spring is higher so the breaks in the clouds lit the bumps up nicely and by being patient, I was able to rock the ride in. The bumps in the Olympic Lady gully are the best! Too much work to do but I snuck in a sweet last lap down Far East right under the chair.

It's snowing lightly (nothing sticking), still warm (35F) and windy. I wonder what tomorrow will bring. Hope I can spend more time on the mountain enjoying spring.

Eric