• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
At Alpine today. Met up with @oldfashoned and @Mendieta

Skied from 9:15am to 2:15pm. Snow held up very well. Wasn't yet sticky when we stopped. Wolverine and Beaver bowls were best area of the day- from noon till 2. The 3rd chute (looker's right) on Three Sisters was the best one of the day for us. Lapped it three times :roflmao:

Thank you guys for an amazing tour:

Screenshot_2019-04-13-14-08-41.png

We warmed up on a groomer and then moved on. So many fun places! The bumps at The Face were hero-soft and delicious!

This bowl was soft and fun early on (this is before dropping in)

20190413_105053_HDR.jpg

Our Father really deserved a prayer on the icy traverse above the cliff! But there was delicious soft spring snow skiers left (aka the chickening out option :roflmao:)

20190413_110715.jpg

Somehow this took us the Promised Land!

20190413_120153_HDR.jpg

This is an impressive view of many of the places we skied (facing us in the background I believe)

20190413_114925_HDR.jpg

And the final ones are, I believe, in the area of the chute that @textrovert mentioned above (mostly under it, one is looking up, and one is traversing into that area)

20190413_124935.jpg 20190413_132943.jpg 20190413_133528.jpg 20190413_133716.jpg

The traverse creates a hazard for those coming from the top and dropping the cornice. A guy lost a ski there at high speed, I picked up his ski and skied down to him, probably 30 yards downhill. He says "thank you" , shrugs and says "I am not a good skier". "DUDE, look at the cornice you just dropped! You are amazing". Big smile and went to see @oldfashoned and @textrovert :)

Great day! Thanks again, guys!

:yeah:

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you guys for an amazing tour:

View attachment 71271

We warmed up on a groomer and then moved on. So many fun places! The bumps at The Face were hero-soft and delicious!

This bowl was soft and fun early on (this is before dropping in)

View attachment 71272

Our Father really deserved a prayer on the icy traverse above the cliff! But there was delicious soft spring snow skiers left (aka the chickening out option :roflmao:)

View attachment 71273

Somehow this took us the Promised Land!

View attachment 71275

This is an impressive view of many of the places we skied (facing us in the background I believe)

View attachment 71274

And the final ones are, I believe, in the area of the chute that @textrovert mentioned above (mostly under it, one is looking up, and one is traversing into that area)

View attachment 71276 View attachment 71277 View attachment 71278 View attachment 71279

The traverse creates a hazard for those coming from the top and dropping the cornice. A guy lost a ski there at high speed, I picked up his ski and skied down to him, probably 30 yards downhill. He says "thank you" , shrugs and says "I am not a good skier". "DUDE, look at the cornice you just dropped! You are amazing". Big smile and went to see @oldfashoned and @textrovert :)

Great day! Thanks again, guys!

:yeah:

@AKMINK and I went to Mt Rose. We contemplated going to Alpine but decided on Mt Rose because it was a Saturday and we figured Rose would be less crowded.
I'd have thought stronger about Alpine if I'd paid attention to your plans. :(

Anyway, Mt Rose was skiing fantastic. We skied the Slide side in prime spring conditions until it started to get a little sticky, then we headed to the Rose side until almost 1. Rose side never got sticky while we were skiing.
Then we headed to the Brewski event at Winter's Creek Lodge and stayed until 4.
@AKMINK skiing the run immediately to lookers right of Zephyr Lift on the Slide side (@Andy Mink knows the names of the runs better than I do.)
IMG_0609.JPG IMG_0612.JPG

Brewski event set up looking from the run out from Bruces
IMG_0613.JPG
Someone was thinking it was a good day to bring out the "spring ski car"
IMG_0619.JPG IMG_0620.JPG

Ann and I hanging out with Tom and Bonda from Great Basin Brewery
IMG_0621.JPG IMG_0624.JPG

The sign at the lift entrance at the Northwest Express
IMG_0626.JPG

One of the things that keeps impressing me is how much the multiple runs at Mt Rose look like open bowls with all the coverage. I keep thinking "I'm skiing on top of trees"
IMG_0617.JPG

Here is a screenshot from a video I took of @ScotsSkier last year on April 22 with a comparison shot that I think I took from the same spot yesterday. Things look so different so I'm not quite sure its the same spot.
Edit: now that I am looking at the pics side by side, I pretty sure I was standing at the top of the little stand of trees to the lookers left of my second picture. So, not the same vantage point.
Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 6.17.01 AM.png
Pic taken yesterday
IMG_0616.JPG

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
RE: the comparison pics above... Looking at the trees on the right side of the second pic, then at the same trees in the first pic, I'd guess 8 or 10 feet more snow in the second pic.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Gold Run. I guessed somewhere else because I've never seen her ski Gold Run! Woohoo!
She tends to say, "Sure I'll try it" when I ask her.
I got her >this< close to doing a chute ;)

*Ann said that those Renouns have fairy dust
@Cyrus Schenck

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^^
Looking at the trees on the right side of the second pic, then at the same trees in the first pic, I'd guess 8 or 10 feet more snow in the second pic.
I know...Crazy huh!!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I know...Crazy huh!!
Yep... wish I could ski it! I think yesterday at Loveland was probably my last day though. I've already used too much vacation time this winter!

(But I just bought an Ikon pass, so a long Squaw or Mammoth weekend is tempting.)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yep... wish I could ski it! I think yesterday at Loveland was probably my last day though. I've already used too much vacation time this winter!

(But I just bought an Ikon pass, so a long Squaw or Mammoth weekend is tempting.)
You know, we're working on a date to have a Pugski tailgate weekend at Mammoth, and we'll probably have at least one at Squaw/Alpine.
Just saying...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ann took a picture of me at the Totem
57611846_10161351430320018_667019905811349504_n.jpg

Compare to March 16 with Andy and Laura
54522375_10161251062575018_1600034132765704192_o.jpg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I stayed at Squaw an hour longer than planned and did not get on road home until almost two. I had five laps on both Headwall and Silverado, where I did the steep wall below gate 2 three times (probably Bailey's Cirque), getting a little further skier's right each time. My friend Lenny joined me for my second and third time out gate 2 and then we caught up with @at_nyc on our only time down Landbridge where we stopped to watch the competition and got a couple free Red Bulls. I finished with a Slot run, where you had to take off skis for about 50 feet on the way there, and a KT lap where we skied Women's Downhill.

Was surprised how steep this was. Went down lookers right the first time where it was not quite as steep and was catching more sun and went further left next two times.
7547SilvyWall.JPG
Silverado. There are a lot of places where snow is pulling away from rocks as in center and lower right of this picture. Tram is slowing to dock at top, left of center.
7545TramSilvyChair.JPG

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Per Coop Cooper...

Resorts updated:
Sugar Bowl – Extended season through April 21
Sierra at Tahoe – Extended season through April 21
Homewood – Extended season through April 21
Alpine Meadows - Open through May, then moving to a Friday – Sunday schedule after Easter April 21
Squaw Valley Resort – Open through July 7, then moving to a Friday – Sunday schedule after Memorial Day May 27th
Boreal – Extended season through April 21
Heavenly – open through Memorial Day, May 27
Northstar – Extended season through April 21
Kirkwood – Open today, + Easter Weekend April 19-21
Edit (added):
Mt. Rose -- April 28
Mammoth -- July 7

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Per Coop Cooper...

Resorts updated:
Sugar Bowl – Extended season through April 21
Sierra at Tahoe – Extended season through April 21
Homewood – Extended season through April 21
Alpine Meadows - Open through May, then moving to a Friday – Sunday schedule after Easter April 21
Squaw Valley Resort – Open through July 7, then moving to a Friday – Sunday schedule after Memorial Day May 27th
Boreal – Extended season through April 21
Heavenly – open through Memorial Day, May 27
Northstar – Extended season through April 21
Kirkwood – Open today, + Easter Weekend April 19-21
Edit (added):
Mt. Rose -- April 28
Mammoth -- July 7
While Heavenly will be open until Memorial Day, schedule says Fri-Sun after April 28 and access will be via gondola where AFAIK there is no free parking.

"Extended Season Details - May 3rd – May 27th, Friday – Sunday only (plus Monday the 27th) 9:00am – 4:00pm

Terrain & Lift

During Heavenly’s Extended Spring season the resort plans to offer access to intermediate and advanced terrain with operations based out of the Gondola, and access to skiing and riding via Tamarack and Dipper Express. Please be advised that there will be no beginner terrain available in May."

Also note that today is the last day to buy Vail passes and get 10 Buddy tickets for next year. I was thinking about doing without a Vail pass for next year, but after some great days at Heavenly including Firebreak powder laps this Spring and I can usually park within a couple hundred feet of the tram at CA base which is under a mile and a half from our cabin, plus having access to Northstar for storm days and Kirkwood when 88 is open, my wife and I are both helping Vail on their goal to sell a million passes.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid