• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier

Tony

tseeb
Skier
The W-facing at Alpine (Scott’s) was great late in the day, ~3 PM. Smooth, supportive and creamy corn.
IMG_7524.JPG
IMG_7525.JPG Since I didn’t leave San Jose until almost 7, I was there for it. Not sure that we’ve had or will have enough sunny freeze/thaw cycles for a lot of corn until sometime next week as weak and wet storms keep blowing through.

The last picture taken far skiers right of Scott Chute (where usually you'd be in rocks) shows an interesting rock formation at upper right, Squaw Peak and Sun Bowl at top center and a couple of skiers at lower left.
IMG_7523.JPG

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Super nice day at Alpine Meadows. Sun with a bit of wind. OK, a lot of bit of wind in spots. But you don't ski on wind. Snow was everything from very crisp to spring soft.

Thanks to @John Webb, @Pat AKA mustski, @Philpug, @Tricia, @Tony, and Pat's hubby Bob. We also ran into @LewyM who was down from Seattle as we were rebooting in the lodge. Thanks for coming over and saying hi!
20190410_110755.jpg

Last edited:

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Super nice day at Alpine Meadows. Sun with a bit of wind. OK, a lot of bit of wind in spots. But you don't ski on wind. Snow was everything from very crisp to spring soft.

Thanks to @John Webb, @Pat AKA mustski, @Philpug, @Tricia, @Tony, and Pat's hubby Bob. We also ran into @LewyM who was down from Seattle as we were rebooting in the lodge. Thanks for coming over and saying hi!
View attachment 71074
Fun to run into you guys @Andy Mink - beautiful day, beautiful views at Alpine. Fun mountain.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great day! Bluebird is always fun. I love skiing with locals because it completely defeats the whole "waste your time figuring out this mountain and then go home" thing! Thanks for the tour everybody. We are hitting Squaw tomorrow. I have a tongue shim now ... if it doesn't work, I'm going to rip it out and just ski!

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds like Alpine was the call over Squaw: all kinds of wind (??) hold, and barely softening by 11:30 AM when I had to leave. Still, turns were made and I grabbed my new IKON.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like Alpine was the call over Squaw: all kinds of wind (??) hold, and barely softening by 11:30 AM when I had to leave. Still, turns were made and I grabbed my new IKON.
It was breezy (WINDY) at the top of Summit chair but it was going up hill so no sideways weirdness. The backside was softening really nicely though it probably slushed out shortly after we left. Multiple conditions for lots of practice!

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Guess great minds think alike..

Alpine was definately the call today. High-T has only been open 2 days in the past week+ so the few small accumulations added up to 3-5" and rebuffed and smoothed everything except the slide paths from last tues/wed wet storms again. Lots of avi chunder strewn about under the cornices so you had to really search for a safe spot to drop but once safely navigated was smooth creamy goodness. Not quite a full on corn cycle, more like sun moistened buff and creamed corn with some winterry snow in the trees. Full on fresh tracks on all 6 long laps so I didn't even bother heading anywhere else. Best snow was boundary line grouse saddle to CK bench area

Bernies and Estelle looked pretty tempting but I didn't see anyone give it a go. All the tracks I could make out from summit seemed like patrol bomb routes. Possibly north traverse didn't open until the afternoon but I bailed around 1:30. Scott (which looked like boilerplate in the am) was just starting to look tempting on my last Lap. Sounds like @Tony
reaped those goods.

Kind of a bummer Alpine goes fri-sun after next weekend. There really is no better place to chase sun softened aspects..

Twin peeks from upper saddle
image.jpeg
Big bend image.jpeg S.P. Cornice image.jpeg lower CK bench
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Dave’s at 9:00 at Squaw tomorrow for anyone who is interested. @laine are you still coming?

@Pat AKA mustski - Sorry I missed the big group today. I'll see you at Dave's Thursday morning around 9am! I'm driving up in the morning from the Bay so will message you if there are any traffic issues (but I usually leave at 5am, so don't anticipate any).

Anyone else joining us for Squaw Thursday?

Also, I'll be around on Friday - anyone want to meet at Squaw, Alpine, or Rose?

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I’m at Dave’s. Don’t see anyone else at a couple of minutes to nine. Some mixed precipitation about 7 with more predicted beginning at noon so this morning may be all worth skiing.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Everybody I have ever met via Pugski is so, so nice and this week was no different. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting @laine and @Tony and seeing @Tricia @Andy Mink, @Philpug, and @John Webb again. I have now ripped out all boot mods and decided to just live with no circulation! It’s still the best my boots have ever been. Hopefully, I will see you again in Mammoth in spring.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Everybody I have ever met via Pugski is so, so nice and this week was no different. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting @laine and @Tony and seeing @Tricia @Andy Mink, @Philpug, and @John Webb again. I have now ripped out all boot mods and decided to just live with no circulation! It’s still the best my boots have ever been. Hopefully, I will see you again in Mammoth in spring.
Time for a boot-tonguectomy. Remove some of the padding in the tongue so there's not as much pressure on the top of your foot.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Time for a boot-tonguectomy. Remove some of the padding in the tongue so there's not as much pressure on the top of your foot.
My problem is that my heel lifts up on the lift rides and I lose circulation while riding. If I tighten the ankle buckle down, my heel stays put but I Lise circulation from the pressure. Both fixes - pads behind the heels and a tongue shin failed. The first pushed me forward out of the heel cup resulting in toe bang; the second snugged the heel up but I list circulation even more quickly and my ankle buckle started to bend again. My plan is just ski and live with numb toes.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My problem is that my heel lifts up on the lift rides and I lose circulation while riding. If I tighten the ankle buckle down, my heel stays put but I Lise circulation from the pressure. Both fixes - pads behind the heels and a tongue shin failed. The first pushed me forward out of the heel cup resulting in toe bang; the second snugged the heel up but I list circulation even more quickly and my ankle buckle started to bend again. My plan is just ski and live with numb toes.

Do you experience the loss of circulation when you use the foot rest?

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you experience the loss of circulation when you use the foot rest?
Yes. Most places I ski don’t have a footrest, but I was in CO three times this winter. I am short enough that only the ball of my foot touches the footrest. I experience no problem while flexed and skiing, unless I tighten the ankle buckle.

To be honest, this is a lifelong problem generally accompanied by a lot of heel movement. Boot doc liners stopped the heel movement. This is the first time ever where I can link more than 4 turns in bumps without stopping to readjust my foot in the boot or slamming my shin into the front of the boot. I just added hotronics so I don’t need to worry about frostbite. I can judge by the right foot where I’m at.

Sponsor

Staff online