• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Went to Alpine today. Backside bowls til about 12:30, then came around and played on Scott and Summit. Had a blast. Hadn't been to Alpine since mid 90s, didn't remember a thing about it. So going Ikon if I can get over my wind hold and traffic fear...pretty sure the fears won't matter. :D

Now if I can talk Alterra into buying Kirkwood...

Fofo

Enjoying the mountain views
Skier
I went to Alpine today for the first time ever! I don't know why I had not been there before, it was great!!! Definitely my kind of place, I'm sure I'll keep coming back. And to finish the day, a live band and everyone on the deck enjoying the sun. Wonderful day, with blue skies, nice snow and everyone with big smiles on their faces. I still can't stop smiling.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are headed to Alpine today.

Yesterday was a gorgeous bluebird at Squaw. The bump runs and trees off of Shirley were a lot of fun. 20190324_144631.jpg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
All, I was asking in my thread trying to figure out the next season's pass(es) situation, but, in a nutshell, I haven't been to Alpine, ever, so I wonder a few things. I got no traction there but this is probably a better thread to ask, anyway. Questions about Alpine:
  • is parking any easier/better than Squaw?
  • are crowds more manageable?
  • Is it easier to simply park and walk to a lift than Squaw?

Right now I am skiing mostly SB and Rose, and in both cases you can park and be skiing soon, no need to take a loong gondola run. Or fight big crowds, etc.

If I get Ikon this spring, I will hopefully hit Squalpine late spring :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All, I was asking in my thread trying to figure out the next season's pass(es) situation, but, in a nutshell, I haven't been to Alpine, ever, so I wonder a few things. I got no traction there but this is probably a better thread to ask, anyway. Questions about Alpine:

Right now I am skiing mostly SB and Rose, and in both cases you can park and be skiing soon, no need to take a loong gondola run. Or fight big crowds, etc.

• No
  • Yes
  • No
The vibe is more Rose/Sugarbowl like though. IMHO, you absolutely will get the value in an Ikon pass.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
  • No
  • Yes
  • No
The vibe is more Rose/Sugarbowl like though. IMHO, you absolutely will get the value in an Ikon pass.

I had a SB pass in 2016/17 (amazing season) and have had Squaw/Alpine the last two seasons. To @Philpug's point, Alpine is more similar to SB than it is to Squaw. Big base lodge with a fireplace and big groups of families/friends. Hooks to hang your boot bags on the posts. Huge outdoor seating for bluebird days. Similar bad, overpriced food.

With our Ikon pass this year, we probably go to Alpine equally as much as Squaw. Hard for us to comment on parking because we are early birds. And we prefer to go inside, have a coffee, and then boot up. So we are usually at the mountain around 8:15/8:30-ish. Also, we try to carpool, so that helps.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For
I would answer this as draw or slight edge to Alpine. Squaw parking can also be a pretty far walk from the funi, and given the spread out nature of the parking lot, the Squaw courtesy golf cart they seem to run seems random or hard to decipher. The Alpine parking lot is a bit more linear, so their parking lot shuttle is on an obvious route along the road, if you'd rather wait then walk in.
The bottom station to Summit lift is right there so access to "top" of the mountain is going to be more direct than the funi->[upper lift] route. (or if the small hike up to the lift is too much, roundhouse for a warmup->summit.
You'll have to just give it a try and find out.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And talent! :D What skis was Kambria on? She was doing so great on those (It looks like she'll buy them :) )
She was on the new DPS Yvette 100, it replaces the Niña 99 in 2020.(foundation construction)
It is a really good ski. DPS is killing it with the new designs this coming season. Can't wait to share more reviews on them.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had to make a trip to Auburn today and met some sprinkles on the way home.
The radar and noah weather says this.
IMG_3269.jpeg IMG_3270.jpeg

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier

The downside to Alpine, coming from where I think you are (and not a question you asked) is that you have Squaw traffic on 89. And the access road closes for avalanche control at 8, I think.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh Alpine... how I love thee...!

Some of the reasons why:

Even though most of the place was on wind hold, there is so much variety off of Roundhouse that we didn't have a chance to be bored, and even when that got shut down it was fun adventuring off Yellow Chair/Bird?

The vibe is much more laid back and casual, the lodge is easy to get to, no lift lines, and lots of snow.
20190325_125011.jpg

Callistoal

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

Can't comment on Squaw (never been), but if you're looking for somewhere new, you could always try South Lake. You might be a little far for this to work, since you seem to be skiing North Lake only, but Kirkwood is my favourite, and Sierra's not bad either (though that's mostly based on a friend I have that skis there a lot). If you get the Epic Local, you could always also ski Northstar a little if you wanted to go back up there as well.

Now if I can talk Alterra into buying Kirkwood...

If only...

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier

No
No
No
Unless...
Alpine is horrible on horribly busy days. Summit, Roundhouse and Scott are the choke chairs and they can get choked. Parking will be closed full with a cattle car from the overflow lot at the entrance. But those days are rare.

Normally, it's
Yes
Yes
Yes
Alpine has its steeps but really it is fantastic blue terrain. When we have intermediates with us, everyone can ski kind of together and find stuff to their preferences - and be in phase at the lift. Normal days have easy parking and useful golf cart assistance. We avoid the traffic by enjoying the lodge bar which is wonderful. Barely made the last bus back to Squaw last visit!

Our place is walking distance to Squaw. For a reason. We LOVE Squaw! On normal days, park near Far East and ski to the village (KT and the funitel) which is a decent warmup but a bit challenging for an insecure intermediate. Squaw has the terrain. It has more microclimates so you have the best chance of finding great snow. While it doesn't spin often, Olympic Lady is the best chair ever. Squaw is Tahoe's premier resort.

Jump on the Ikon bandwagon!

I do also love Sugar Bowl.

Eric

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
DPS is killing it with the new designs this coming season. Can't wait to share more reviews on them.

I'm getting dizzy with all the combinations that they will have just in the Wailer shape -
  • Widths (99, 100, 106, 110, 112)
  • Construction(Alchemist, Foundation, Tour1)
  • Turn radius (RP, C2, original)
We'll need the secret decoder ring please
:roflmao:

Sponsor