• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not to blow my own horn, but here is some fairly detailed skiing info on Squaw:
www.squawguide.com.
If you are skiing on the 7th, ping me. For the midweek days (8-11th) I bet there would be someone from this board skiing Squaw as well.

One note for the excellent guide, Sun Bowl had the groomed track on Saturday. Seems like it's back, on occasion at least.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi Tahoe-people. So a bit last minute, but I am doing a spring fling at Squaw/Alpine in April and I'd love any local intel you have to offer on skiing, eating and other adventures. We will be skiing Squaw/Alpine April 8-11 (maybe a bit on the 7th also). Staying at the base of Squaw. I'll have a car so Truckee and Tahoe City are in range. I've only been to Tahoe once (in the summer), so we are total rookies. Of course, this is a bit of an Ikon-play - so be nice locals. . . I promise to return the love if you ever make it to Seattle and want to ski Crystal. Also, we would love to ski with some folks with local knowledge if it works out. PM me if you are going to be in the area those days are game to make new friends. Your kindness and good deeds will be repaid in heaps of powder (at some indeterminate point in the future).

Since this is your first trip, don't forget to check out the lake, closest access is in Tahoe City, and there is a pier that goes out a bit into the water, as well as a lakeside walking path that goes around (unless its buried in snow). With time change you have light until 7-ish, s o to catch sunset or do non-ski sightseeing. Tahoe's water straight from the lake is rated almost as pure as commercially distilled bottled water (like 99.90% pure, versus 99.95%); you could drink straight from it if you want, the issues are more from humans or dogs pooping or peeing in the exact beach area you happen to be at.

Squaw/Alpine owners are principal owners of Alterra, Since there is no alternative pass, all the locals have an ikonpass themselves, lol; so there is no ikonhate because they'd just be hating themselves. That being said, with any population, there is always a percentage of douchebags or alpha Bros, esp. with spring break in effect; as well as a population of grumpy old men who will always long for the good old days (get off my snow); when there was same amount of resources and amenities but for half as many people on the earth .

Food, you can utilize yelp for recs, many in lake tahoe are from the bay area, so high yelper activity is in effect everywhere bay area people go.

Download the Mountaineer app, which is basically free uber in the valley; if you are not exactly right in the village but in the surrounding area, and need a ride from anywhere to anywhere

I think if you write a bit more what you're looking for you'll get recs. e.g. are you looking for on-the-cheap, splurging/fine dining, activities? family/kids activities? nightlife, e.g. drive to reno? Skiing only? or other outdoor activities? Of course what you like to ski for run recommendations.

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fried chicken special at Za's in Tahoe City. $12 for two big pieces of fried chicken and mashed potatoes with creamed corn. Now also lakeside. Get there early if you go, they run out. River Grill in Tahoe City has a good happy hour with good food. It gets crowded, but maybe not so much on weeknights. SIPS in Tahoe City is a very small bar that serves rotating taps and whiskey, with a unique atmosphere. Alibi Ale Works in Truckee has good beer and often live music.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are you come in from Reno or SF/ SAC?
If you are driving up from the west, and weather has snow forecasted, you do need to check road conditions and be prepared for chain or road issues, just so you know what you are getting into. Check caltrans website and twitter for caltrans dist 3. Do not follow any googlemaps or waze's overlyclever reroutes that go down localroads if it is due to storm; you won't know the forecast until a couple days before your trip

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Pretty good out at alpine today. Did the usual lines out the ridges in the morning and picked around off Scott in the early afternoon. Scott aspects were only getting better when I left around 1:30. 10:30-2:30 is a pretty good window to chase the sun off piste currently.

Hit N* yesterday morning since I had a feeling white rabbit was going to open. Opened as I was getting out right at 10:30. For sure glad I did!! Hasn't been open in a while so was pretty much completly flat and smooth.. Full on Cali corn harvest! Did 3 long laps which was kinda a pain with promised land and the pomola closed and a decent line at backside. First run in the "white rabbit cliffs" behind the patrol shack was good but still pretty scratchy in the more shadowy areas. Seccond 2 runs allong skiers right boundary line were pure fast and flowy awesomeness. The kind of turns that make you question if freshies are really any better.. Looks like it opened again today also.

Guess we will see what this mixed bag storm cycle brings over the next few days

Grouse from SP
image.jpeg

Top sun bowl/big bend
image.jpeg

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where would you take mid-week group lessons at--Squaw or Alpine?

We will be up next week and I was going to sign up for the "Take 2, Get 1 free" deal. The additional caveat is that our DD is also going to be signed up for some ski school time as well.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@socalgal you will be fine at either you can pick just on what's more convenient for nonskiing reasons, or where you want to get some terrain tips to be more comfortable with extra mtn knowledge.

i would say if there is a storm or highwinds forecast and you need int. or beginer terrain, go for alpine, since squaw upper mtn may shut at squaw, whereas beginner terrain at alpine is still accessible lower.

Potentially chance for lower ratios at alpine, but with spring break in effect, it is not a regular midweek, who knows what the masses are doing, i suppose you can call and ask which mtn is less full in lesson reservations (but then they just shift instructors around and form more groups)

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where would you take mid-week group lessons at--Squaw or Alpine?

We will be up next week and I was going to sign up for the "Take 2, Get 1 free" deal. The additional caveat is that our DD is also going to be signed up for some ski school time as well.

Either. Alpine has better groomers to accommodate drills, imho. Depending on how long the lesson is, it is easier to get into sustained steeper terrain in a short time at Squaw than at Alpine.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here's the link to the winning video from the Mt. Rose Winter RAD film festival. I like that it features some of the folks who work hard at the area to make it as nice as it is.
Its usually hard to see the steepness of terrain in a POV video, but this one... whoa!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Monday at Squaw:
To calm the home front most of my skiing was on, gasp, Gold Coast & Shirley Lake. Snow is holding up well. Sort of corn and packed powder. Highly variable depending on sun exposure & time of day.

Likely more toward frozen today as clouds move in. All will likely change Wednesday as high elevation wet snow (8000 ft Sl) moves in. There’s hope as snow line drops to lake level Wed night or Thurs.

Did escape for 3 runs on Headwall lift. Upper part of Headwall face was excellent - lower a bit chunky/frozen. The Slot was awful- totally frozen. Backside run: Sun Bowl was deep soft snow -almost slush. Sade’s & Funnel we’re being skied- looked good but didn’t get there.

Look to groomers. Bottom line is “follow the sun”

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1 agree. squaws good groomers dont have that manicured focus and get chopped up and rutted fast, kangaroo is good till end of the day.

So it depends what you want to work on.

@socalgal
Another strategy if you plan on taking 3 lessons, is you can just book your first day at alpine. Then at the wrapup, talk with instructor about your goals, you can do the other days at alpine or split at squaw. Really it depends what your goals and progression plan they have for you crossed onto their local knowledge of exact current conditions.
If there is an issue with the early signup discount you can just book 2 and still 99% they will help and accomodate swapping you to the other mtn.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A little perspective with the Snow Totem at Mt Rose
A couple interesting things are the depth of snow in this area, which is groomed regularly as well as the perspective of the view behind the totem because of the feet of snow we are standing on.

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 4.39.52 PM.png

Spinning Wheel

Booting up
Skier
Question for the locals - I'm driving down from Seattle to ski Squaw/Alpine the second week of April. I have AWD and chains, but I'd love to pull the snow tires off the car for the drive. What do you think the risk is of any serious snow at that point? I'm an ex-New Englander so more than comfortable in messy conditions. Think I'm safe to go back to the all-weather tires? They're just more comfortable on the long haul.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question for the locals - I'm driving down from Seattle to ski Squaw/Alpine the second week of April. I have AWD and chains, but I'd love to pull the snow tires off the car for the drive. What do you think the risk is of any serious snow at that point? I'm an ex-New Englander so more than comfortable in messy conditions. Think I'm safe to go back to the all-weather tires? They're just more comfortable on the long haul.
We'll know a little better when we get closer.
Weather has been crazy this year.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Similar question on driving conditions for this next Monday afternoon. Return Friday

Reno to Kirkwood, NOT going through SLT on the arrival, but will stop in SLT on the departure.

Snow and rain in the forecast.

Should we rent a 4WD?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks. I’ll hold off on swapping for a couple of weeks and check back.
yes nobody can tell, april storm is a possibility.

But what is the exact tire you are swaping in? if it is still an allseason with good tread, and rated or well reviewed to have light snow performance, goahead and swap. especially if your AWD is good such as a Subaru or Audi.

if you are only going to squaw alpine you will be on 80 which will be well maintained, and shutdown before it gets bad, so no serious snowvehicle needed, unless you have some specific local roads on your itinerary or steep driveways that maybe tricky

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Tahoe has always been crazy with snowstorms happening occasionally in the end of May, so unless the forecast is absolutely clear, I would keep the winter tires on. What's the downside, slightly noisier ride and a tiny bit worse gas mileage?