• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Demo day at Rose! Day 21 for me in the season. Bobo's said present!
20190317_090356.jpg

Warmed up on the Rallies and then took some skis for a spin. Lots of people because of St Patrick's, and the demo, all on the Slide side. But the glades were tasty. I spent most of the time there, away from any crowds

20190317_123710_HDR.jpg 20190317_104647_HDR.jpg 20190317_104642_HDR.jpg 20190317_100638.jpg

Lunch was a ton of fun with an inexpensive and delicious St Paddy's special (beer and a corned beef platter for 10 bucks for season pass holders -- I am looking at you, @marjoram_sage :D )

20190317_114023_HDR.jpg
20190317_125528_HDR.jpg

20190317_112024_HDR.jpg

And a great view on the way back

20190317_133109.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Demo day at Rose! Day 21 for me in the season. Bobo's said present!
View attachment 68854

Warmed up on the Rallies and then took some skis for a spin. Lots of people because of St Patrick's, and the demo, all on the Slide side. But the glades were tasty. I spent most of the time there, away from any crowds

View attachment 68848 View attachment 68851 View attachment 68852 View attachment 68853

Lunch was a ton of fun with an inexpensive and delicious St Paddy's special (beer and a corned beef platter for 10 bucks for season pass holders -- I am looking at you, @marjoram_sage :D )

View attachment 68849
View attachment 68847

View attachment 68850

And a great view on the way back

View attachment 68846
Did you see @Andy Mink?

If I knew YOU were going be there, i would have come up verses doing chores around the office.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No, it was a bit of a zoo!
Spent the morning in the Rose side. We never got to Slide. After smacking my helmetless noggin we called it a day after a few more runs. No apparent dain bramage. At least the torn extensor tendon on my finger doesn't hurt. That might need surgery to fix but I have to see the doc for confirmation. I think it will still fit in a glove with the splint so I should be good to go for skiing.:doh::philgoat:

Lesson learned? Wear a helmet even if you have to rent one or buy a new one!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Lesson learned? Wear a helmet even if you have to rent one or buy a new one!

I had two helmets on my car! :doh:

Oh well. I never find you locals on weekends, and I can't blame you. I would ski the week and do chores on weekends if I were local. So, I didn't announce.

It was unusual. I parked 8:05. I thought I would be first car on the Slide lot. It was already almost half full. The tents were set up already.

Hope the finger gets better soon and the noggin doesnt give you any headaches :D

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had two helmets on my car! :doh:

Oh well. I never find you locals on weekends, and I can't blame you. I would ski the week and do chores on weekends if I were local. So, I didn't announce.

It was unusual. I parked 8:05. I thought I would be first car on the Slide lot. It was already almost half full. The tents were set up already.

Hope the finger gets better soon and the noggin doesnt give you any headaches :D
Always announce. Ann and I usually go up on at least one weekend day. What did you demo?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Always announce. Ann and I usually go up on at least one weekend day. What did you demo?

bones 180cm, enforcer 100 185cm, enforcer 93 177 (didn't have the 185) (wanted to try skis for off-piste, natural snow in general in bowls and trees, the kind of stuff I am doing more and more ... and loving it!)

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
out of that set did you have a favorite?
bones 180cm, enforcer 100 185cm, enforcer 93 177 (didn't have the 185) (wanted to try skis for off-piste, natural snow in general in bowls and trees, the kind of stuff I am doing more and more ... and loving it!)

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
out of that set did you have a favorite?

Yes, the Enforcer 100.

I already have the Rallies for piste, and they are so versatile that I can take them everywhere. But, with that in mind, as a wide companion from the other side of the spectrum, at my skill level, the Bones are worse on piste, and too much ski in the trees. Harder to release, a lot less versatile. They work better than the Rallies in variable, for me, but The Enforcer 100 was the best at that. And it would be great on powder. Basically, that ski does everything really well. It is remarkable.

The 93? Super agile in bumps. Best for that. Specially in the shorter size I tested. That might have helped. But I preferred the 100 overall. More stable, super nimble, will carve a long arc but will also pivot on the spot. Wow! How do they come up with something like that? Amazing stuff!

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Squaw has a classic spring skiing weekend. The snow quickly softened up and ( a benefit of it still being March) stayed really nice in lots of places up till the end. Silverado was a star of Saturday, nice snow on Gate 8 and no lines, Headwall was so good on Sunday that I hardly ever gone anywhere else (a rare bell-to-bell day for me). Also seemed like the mountain was overrun by casual visitors, as the most visible lifts were jam-packed, and the less obvious terrain was nearly empty. Classic Chute, which was just excellent on Sunday, was so overrun with gapers, it was hard to pick a moment for a clean run, there was always someone in front of you, or someone above who was unsteady enough to threaten to fall and take your own with them. Saw someone who looked like Travis Ganong ski the cliffs skiers right of classic, quick turns on seemingly unconnected bands of snow between the rocks ( those were hardly wider than two feet) followed by weightlessness and a buttery smooth landing. Looked eerily effortless and clearly pro. Typical Squaw.

The entrance to the Slot is UGLY but then it's chaulky and smooth.
28713454-96EE-43AD-A48D-3FE8F3278377.jpeg

And we had a Kastle mini-reunion on Saturday. Too bad my buddy with his MX89 was not with us on that ride up.
C0414985-B564-4ED0-97CE-7AA6AFC63C76.jpeg

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Reminder: Free ski day option this Friday at Diamond Peak. With the season extended to April 21st, the "unbirthday" window changed a bit. Now it is - "If your birthday falls anytime between April 22 and December 12, come join us on Friday, March 22, 2019 for a free lift ticket"

https://www.diamondpeak.com/events/details/unbirthday-celebration

Of course, if your birthday is within the season window (which this time is December 11- April 21), you have to go on your actual birthday to get your free lift ticket.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's the link to the winning video from the Mt. Rose Winter RAD film festival. I like that it features some of the folks who work hard at the area to make it as nice as it is.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Mendieta Nice! Seems like the new 100mm "Tahoe Ski" cage match will be Bonafide vs. Enforcer 100 vs. Mindbender 99Ti.

I would love to try out a Mindbender 108Ti sometime. Hope @Philpug has one for a pugmeet sometime in the season. :D
throw in the mantra and kore as well.
@Mendieta i demoed the enforcer about 2years ago and own current and gen2 bones. I would say you got it spot on except that I would rate the bones higher than the enforcers onpiste or hard charging, you might have had dull edges or a messed up tune.
Its also a little hard to evaluate piste performance in a short demo, because it takes a few days to find the limit of thesr bigmtn skis, which takes time to push the performance envelope with more speed and g forces. This involves pushing risk with high consequence, and takes time to trust the ski in order to push the limit.

That being said enforcer is probably the right choice for most people to have the most fun on and conquer terrain.

Do jump on some skinny skies and work on technique here and there. The bigmtn skis can make you a bit of a lazy skier since it will not punish you and autorescue your mistakes.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
throw in the mantra and kore as well.
@Mendieta i demoed the enforcer about 2years ago and own current and gen2 bones. I would say you got it spot on except that I would rate the bones higher than the enforcers onpiste or hard charging, you might have had dull edges or a messed up tune.
Its also a little hard to evaluate piste performance in a short demo, because it takes a few days to find the limit of thesr bigmtn skis, which takes time to push the performance envelope with more speed and g forces. This involves pushing speed and g forces and risk , and takes time to trust the ski and push the limit.

That being said enforcer is probably the right choice for most people to have the most fun on and conquer terrain.

Do jump on some skinny skies and work on technique here and there. The bigmtn skis can make you a bit of a lazy skier since it will not punish you and autorescue your mistakes.

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear. The Rallies are better than the Bones, for me, on groomers. But the bones seemed to carve better than the enforcer for me. It's just that I don't need them on groomers :D We are exactly on the same page.

I was actually surprised (a) that I could put a 98mm ski on edge, (b) how well it carves. It is a great ski. But I am looking for an offpiste ski that can handle a powder day. The bone is too much of a ski for me, especially on trees. But i'm just a newbie. :D

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
I recently picked up the Enforcer 100 @185 and understand the high praise for the ski. I'm looking forward to the Mindbender 99 and Rustler 10 as some demo day comparisons. Perhaps even the Enforcer 104 free. I also want to take out some Blizzard Firebirds and see what they're all about on the groomers.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi Tahoe-people. So a bit last minute, but I am doing a spring fling at Squaw/Alpine in April and I'd love any local intel you have to offer on skiing, eating and other adventures. We will be skiing Squaw/Alpine April 8-11 (maybe a bit on the 7th also). Staying at the base of Squaw. I'll have a car so Truckee and Tahoe City are in range. I've only been to Tahoe once (in the summer), so we are total rookies. Of course, this is a bit of an Ikon-play - so be nice locals. . . I promise to return the love if you ever make it to Seattle and want to ski Crystal. Also, we would love to ski with some folks with local knowledge if it works out. PM me if you are going to be in the area those days are game to make new friends. Your kindness and good deeds will be repaid in heaps of powder (at some indeterminate point in the future).

LouD-Truckee

no drivel here....⛷️⛷️⛷️
Skier
Hi Tahoe-people. So a bit last minute, but I am doing a spring fling at Squaw/Alpine in April and I'd love any local intel you have to offer on skiing, eating and other adventures. We will be skiing Squaw/Alpine April 8-11 (maybe a bit on the 7th also). Staying at the base of Squaw. I'll have a car so Truckee and Tahoe City are in range. I've only been to Tahoe once (in the summer), so we are total rookies. Of course, this is a bit of an Ikon-play - so be nice locals. . . I promise to return the love if you ever make it to Seattle and want to ski Crystal. Also, we would love to ski with some folks with local knowledge if it works out. PM me if you are going to be in the area those days are game to make new friends. Your kindness and good deeds will be repaid in heaps of powder (at some indeterminate point in the future).
Wednesday night fish taco special at Sunnyside (half price).... mmmm....

Sponsor

Staff online