• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey all. I’ll be back in ca next week and hoping to sneak away for a day or two in Tahoe. Anyone around either tues, weds, thurs, at squaw/alpine next week? Hope to meet up with people for some runs. Let me know.

K

P.s. not skiing and being back in the”real” world sucks!
I'm sure @Philpug, @Tricia, and/or I can take some runs with you. As it gets closer give a holler.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes! I'll be up Mon/Tues. would love to ski with you.

Tues is the toughest day, but I’ll let you know if I-make it up there. If I do, it will most likely be in the second half of the ski day (i.e. around noon or after.)

Hope it happens! This ski season has been so slap dash for me.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Was out at alpine this morning also. It was decent but never really softened. These next few weeks after loosing an hour in the morning really slow down the freeze/thaw when it stays below 40*.

Waited it out a little and got out around 10. Hiked the high-T over upper saddle first thing and it was still pretty bulletproof on upper sun bowl. While waiting for it to soften up top did a bunch of laps through Reilys trees to the powerline which was getting sun softened pretty nicely. Best snow of the day was under the cornice drop on experts shortcut which wasn't really skied up and fairly wind loaded. Went over to Scott and skied seldom chute where I was kicking up a bunch of frozen chunder and the cookies were chasing me downhill. Not a bad day but just didn't stay sunny long enough for the different aspects to soften. A groomer ski probably would have been the better choice today.

Was out at N* the past couple days in the afternoon skiing the lookout trees which were still holding up pretty good. They laid a groomer down stampede all the way down the liftline to the bottom which is kind of rare. I'm not sure if it's understaffing but I feel like there is an issue with stuff not opening even though it's definately skiable. Sunday and yesterday no white rabbit, sawtooth bootpack , or biscuit traverse. When you have terrain like that that should open when conditions permit you kind of need to open one or 2 of them when they are completely filled in and it's an all time snow year. Your talking about hundreds of acres of terrain sitting closed with no real reasoning behind it.

Kinda snowing off and on currently. When I ran out to the store a bit ago it was a full on whiteout and they had chain up on 267. Probably got 1.5-2" here at the house in a few hours. Maybe we will get a little refresh tonight with a sleeper day tomorrow!!

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Will be driving up to SLT tomorrow dawn Thursday 3/14 for 2 or 3 days. Probably get onto gondola 10am to 11am. Skiing HV mostly looping Comet Express then Little Dipper bumps. Forecast shows sunny, light breeze, low 30s temps, just what I need to dress light, get a tan, and have 2 much fun. Have not skied in 19 days and at least half that time was down in Joshua Tree with the bees and butterflies.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Definately a sleeper day @ N*! Got out around 12:30 and hit the lookout trees till last chair. Tons of untouched pockets all over. 3" or so of medium density snow with bluebird sky's and a temperature sitting right at 32*. For dust on crust it was as good as you could hope for and just deep enough for big smiles and hoots and hollers all around.
image.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Nice day at Squaw! The snow conditions weren't anything spectacular, but we had fun(?) chasing my mom as she wandered all over the mountain. (Except for the bit where Florida Man saw the cornice at the top of Chicken Bowl and, ahem, chickened out for a solid ten minutes, going so far as to yell "what if I just live up here!!!!") Icy at the top for the most part, but we found some good lines on Sun Bowl & the lower parts of Granite.

Pictured: Florida Man & @luliski in their natural habitat.

IMG_1932.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I an not sure where you skied, but where we were, it was spectacular.

View attachment 68514
@Jed Peters
View attachment 68515
@Jed Peters
View attachment 68516
@Rich Peters
View attachment 68517
@Tricia

It has been a few weeks since we have been at Squaw....so much snow, unbelievable.
It's just that yesterday at Alpine was even more spectacular. I enjoyed the snow conditions today, being on my narrower skis. I'm surprised we didn't see you today. I think we rode every lift other than the closed ones, Silverado, the ones at High Camp and the tram. Fun day!

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi all,

Since I’m not sure how many ski days I’ll get on my upcoming trip back, I’m leaving my skis home and planning on demoing for the1-3 days I might get. Bringing my boots. I’m interested in trying out black crows among others. Does anyone know of any shops that demo this brand? I’ll be based out of truckee. Any other recommendations on shops with good demo fleets? I’m also Interested in stocklis, but I know I can get the sr 88 and 95 at squaw....I’ve been hankering to try a real carving/pseudo slalom ski as well...
Thanks.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Hi all,

Since I’m not sure how many ski days I’ll get on my upcoming trip back, I’m leaving my skis home and planning on demoing for the1-3 days I might get. Bringing my boots. I’m interested in trying out black crows among others. Does anyone know of any shops that demo this brand? I’ll be based out of truckee. Any other recommendations on shops with good demo fleets? I’m also Interested in stocklis, but I know I can get the sr 88 and 95 at squaw....I’ve been hankering to try a real carving/pseudo slalom ski as well...
Thanks.

Granite Chief In Truckee has Black Crows. You can try Start Haus for a carving ski.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
A little work at Alpine today yealded excellent results. Got out right when summit opened (wind hold this am) and everything along the ridges was a go! Big bend, SP, Estelle, Bernies, beaver, all holding great untouched wind loaded pockets. Only one run off Scott through promised land which was really nice also.

Beaver cornice
image.jpeg
Estelle looking at Scott image.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online