• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great snow at Rose today. Unfortunately visibility was a very limiting factor. As in, stop every few turns to keep from puking. Not a place to be if you know the mountain, really not a place if you don't. One run but I'm counting it. Photos from where visibility was good.
20190306_095115.jpg
20190306_094746.jpg

steve pickard

Putting on skis
Skier
Great snow at Rose today. Unfortunately visibility was a very limiting factor. As in, stop every few turns to keep from puking. Not a place to be if you know the mountain, really not a place if you don't. One run but I'm counting it. Photos from where visibility was good.
View attachment 67490
View attachment 67491

I've been lost on days like this, literally. I'm still lost but that's another story.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I would grab a coffee and see if it opens up. Happy that you got to get out there! Beats the office. Every single time.
I think Slide stayed closed. Northwest reopened after I left. I was parked on Slide. The de-boot/drive/re-boot would not have been worth it. Oh, did I mention it was windy? It was really windy.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Northstar reported 12" today morning..

Shots fired
:crash:

I mean if you already account for the 20-25% bullshit factor it was actually spot on. About 9-10" as of opening. When I woke up to let the dog out and clear the car we had a solid 5+ inches here. Was kind of surprised when the reports started popping up and only N* had more than the house.

Besides getting soaked it was a pretty fun sleeper morning. Snow was just thick enough that you couldn't really feel bottom until the last few hundred feet on the backside. Coming back down home run to the car was sticky icky funk. Everything above 66-6800' was decent for Sierra cement

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

bushpilot

Up Booting
Skier
I will be in heading to Reno on Saturday. Skiing Mt Rose on Sunday and Sugar Bowl on Monday. Squaw will wait until April when it is included on ikon and I have a pass.

If anyone is in the area and wants to show me around a bit that would be awesome! First time in Tahoe!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be in heading to Reno on Saturday. Skiing Mt Rose on Sunday and Sugar Bowl on Monday. Squaw will wait until April when it is included on ikon and I have a pass.

If anyone is in the area and wants to show me around a bit that would be awesome! First time in Tahoe!
I might be at Rose on Sunday. Depends on chores. :)

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Any tips for a successful day at Mt Rose?
Check the website and look at the cameras, wind, and trail map first. The Main Lodge side offers more greens and blues if that is a consideration, though you can get back and forth easily assuming the two main lifts aren't on wind hold. The Winters Creek side offers only blues and blacks so if you or anyone with you is a solid green you'll want to be on the main side or it'll be difficult getting back down the hill. The Washoe Zephyr lift spins at 8:30 but only for season pass holders. All other, plus WZ, open at 9 for everyone.

The conditions report is usually up by 7am. What's groomed or not usually comes later but you can pretty much count on most, if not all, blues and greens to be groomed unless there was snow overnight. If you have to buy a ticket you can get it at either the Winters Creek or main lodge side. Washoe Zephyr on the Winters Creek side and Northwest on the main side go to the top; you can hop back and forth between sides from there. The Chutes are for real. The ones on the edges are easiest but the ones in the middle carry potentially significant consequences if you take a fall. Trust me on that one.:)

If you're a solid double blue skier and the skies are clear head over to the top of Upper Ramseys as there's a good view of Tahoe from there. Northwest chair, get off to the right, take the first left. Follow the traverse to the end and take a peak.

Otherwise, the food is good and not too expensive. Get there early for best parking. We usually try and get there by 8 on a weekend day then sit in the car and finish our coffee or just hang out in the lodge. I'll let you know if we head up on Sunday.

@Mendieta or @Philpug, any other thoughts on skiing Rose for the first timer?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester