• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
A good yearly August thread. What are you goals -- concrete, emotional, spiritual, ill-y defined, whatever -- for this ski season?

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
My relatively concrete goals. I really hope to accomplish the first two, any of the remainders are just a bonus:

- Complete the Gem Project per gemsinavan.com
- Urner Haute Route -- a 5 day ski tour of the Swiss Alps.
- Chase a storm to SW Colorado skiing Wolf Creek and Silverton.
- Weeklong trip utilizing my van + Loveland free bonus days to Red Lodge Mountain, Bridger Bowl, and over to see a friend in Driggs to ski Targhee or tour on Teton pass.
- 360s as part of normal mountain romping
- Weekend hut trip with my SO.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Get my money's worth out of my pass! Lose some bad habits, pick up some good ones. Ski more powder, like that's up to me! Make it down The Chutes at Mt. Rose without hurting myself. Again.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
- learn to ski gracefully, with ease... down all the levels of slopes...
- learn to ski basic bumps, and maybe advanced ones, with ease and grace...
- next time I try to drop (or jump?) a cornice and someone is taking pics from down below, I at least want my bases to show, plus some sort of bodily energy, as if I was an extreme athlete....
- god willing on the snow factor - get down some of the steep tree and hike-to terrain at Taos....
after some days of practice, I hope to ski one of those with grace, control, and laughter.
- trip to the alps
- learn to be comfortable with getting some air, and expanding upon that...

Edit: + learn to love and treasure east coast skiing...

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Ski more!
Start the season in better physical condition.
Get Dolphin turns down, I still feel more like a breaching whale.
Ski more areas in the region.(got to bag Loup Loup this season)

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
- improve technique in order to: 1. get more control in more different circumstances; 2. achieve the same level of control and fun with less energy (training starts end of August on the indoor snow slopes)
- test the new high performance and allmountain models by Rossi, Blizzard, Nordica, Salomon, Völkl
- visit a bunch of new ski resorts in Italy (Livigno, Bormio, Madonna di Campiglio, Andalo, Peio, Passo del Tonale, Aprica)
- just ski as much as I can

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My main goals are

1) I ended last season on a high note with a bit of growth in the terrain I'll go down. Started to get into trees and I'm addicted to spring and powder bumps. I'd like to start off strong and pick up where I left off. I've been working hard on my core in the off season with walking uphill, spinning classes, yoga, sailing and I've never felt better so I think I'll be in a good position to start off with a bang
2) I've just begun to comfortably ski blacks and made big strides last season at Killington on this front, even went down a double black. I'd like to keep working on this area, feeling more comfortable and making these more in my comfort zone. I plan to ski more on the east side of Bromley which is all blacks, venture onto the north face at Mount Snow and meet other black trails at Killington and other mountains.
3). I worry less about the terrain I'll go down but I'd like to continue to work towards my goal of not worrying so much about the trail map and the terrain and just roll with wherever I end up.
4). I still have fear issues with affect my ability sometimes on the above items so I'd really like to take Mermer Blakeslee's fear clinic at Wyndham because I'd like to not get so much in my head and let my body do what it knows how to do.
5) i get very adventurous in powder and spring bumps and I'l pretty much go down anything. I'd like to work on applying this attitude to other times of the year when conditions are less than idyllic ie hard pack/ice. Much of this is a mindset issue I think so I'd like to work on this more straggling a fine line not to freak myself out and shake my confidence.
6) I'd like to ski my usual mountains, a couple new ones and go down new terrain
7). Most importantly I'd like to have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
1. Stay healthy by the time ski season get to the NE.
2. Ski more days than last season.
3. Ski with my daughter.
4. Ski the new section at Hunter North.
5. Ski on some of my traditional old ski.

PS. My part of the NE has been drowned in rain this summer if we could only put it together with cold weather, Oh the snow we would have.:)

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Ski as many places as possible between here and Yellowstone, where we'll be staying at Old Faithful for a few days in January. I could show my list but it keeps on getting longer, and longer, and longer...

It's amazing how convoluted my route seems to be getting.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1. Ski more. Try and get in more days than last year . Got an Ikon pass this year , so it will go a long way to incentivise me to get my moneys worth.
2. Ski better . Improve my fitness level to be able improve my skiing skills. Attend some CSIA events. Work harder in my lessons
3. See steps 1 & 2

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My 11th Season
- Start the season slow and ensure my ankle injury from last season does not affect my skiing physically or mentally.
- Work on improving my pole plants and cleaning up my turn initiation - from last year's lessons and probably next year's as well.
- Don't feel compelled to ski sub-optimal conditions! Crappy, icy, crowded holiday weekends after a 7 hr drive, and when I'm tired from trying to get more vertical.
- More of a wish: ski a legitimate powder day on my new powder skis.
- Ski all the single blacks at Killington with style, not survival, then think about a double.
- Ski a new New England mountain.
- Ski into April and on spring corn snow - I've never skied after the spring equinox.
- Ski 35+ days.
- Stay injury free! I would have hit the previous goal easily last year if I hadn't broken my ankle on day 17 in late January.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One word: Big Couloir

You're nuts! I'm trying to figure out if the fact that it's two words is a Freudian clue that this is an attempt to get us stuck on there so you can laugh from above??

Oh this is easy. My goal is to watch Uncle Louie ski again. If I get to go skiing with him, that's icing on the cake.
Amen Sister.