• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Even Catskills looking like it will be hovering around freezing. We could day trip there but have to get up pretty early. Doesn’t seem worth it.

Thanks for the replies.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Well, made it back from the Loaf tonight. Interesting week for the kid, a tough week on skis. Started with 2 days of SG (not her favorite), then the GS got delayed because of windholds. Monday they got a surprise snow with lots of wind which made the first SL a total shitshow with at least half the kids wrecking out. Mine skied out 2nd run and didn't finish. Tuesday they tried to scrape the hill and have a better SL. It was better, but still pretty soft. In fact as I stood on the side of the hill and kicked my feet into a little platform, I ended up sunk up to my knees! The kid didn't do great in that race either thanks to a very high bib number. Today she started 3rd from last in the GS. They had a really nice surface (last night they pulled one side of the B-net and scraped again) for the early runners. It was grippy, wet ice, but trusted easily and quickly degenerated into a rodeo. Nearly half the field was unable to finish today too. She looked great, but finished pretty far back. Overall, I was just glad to get her home uninjured. There were quite a few injuries including a compound tib/fib. Here's a radio call you don't want to hear on the coaches' channel "Can anyone recommend a good surgeon for facial reconstruction up here?".
DSC_3652.jpg DSC_3749.jpg

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, made it back from the Loaf tonight. Interesting week for the kid, a tough week on skis. Started with 2 days of SG (not her favorite), then the GS got delayed because of windholds. Monday they got a surprise snow with lots of wind which made the first SL a total shitshow with at least half the kids wrecking out. Mine skied out 2nd run and didn't finish. Tuesday they tried to scrape the hill and have a better SL. It was better, but still pretty soft. In fact as I stood on the side of the hill and kicked my feet into a little platform, I ended up sunk up to my knees! The kid didn't do great in that race either thanks to a very high bib number. Today she started 3rd from last in the GS. They had a really nice surface (last night they pulled one side of the B-net and scraped again) for the early runners. It was grippy, wet ice, but trusted easily and quickly degenerated into a rodeo. Nearly half the field was unable to finish today too. She looked great, but finished pretty far back. Overall, I was just glad to get her home uninjured. There were quite a few injuries including a compound tib/fib. Here's a radio call you don't want to hear on the coaches' channel "Can anyone recommend a good surgeon for facial reconstruction up here?".
View attachment 68391 View attachment 68393

It’s about the effort and competition, so good for her for giving it her best! I’m sure she learned some things to take foward and hopefully, she had some fun too.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pico Mountain is available to rent this winter season. For $6,500, you can have the entire base lodge and two lifts to yourself on Tuesday or Wednesday. The $6,500 fee will cover operational costs to run two lifts—the Golden lift and Summit lift with between 10 and 20 employees.

Plattekill started charging $2,500 a day for exclusive use of Plattekill Monday through Thursday. The price has since increased to $4,500. The $4,500 covers the lifts, labor, electricity and overhead. Plattekill then makes money on rentals, food and drink, and snow tubing.

Magic is available for rent for $5,000 on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday—days it’s closed to the public.
I heard that Pico was rented out yesterday by Coca Cola for a corporate event. We are headed over for our first time there and had hoped to hit untracked snow after the good snowfall of the last three days.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I heard that Pico was rented out yesterday by Coca Cola for a corporate event. We are headed over for our first time there and had hoped to hit untracked snow after the good snowfall of the last three days.

It was rented Tuesday (I heard by Anheuser Busch) so yes, the powder will be tracked out. However we did get another 3 inches last night. I will be there.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Heading up to Vermont this afternoon. Unlike some people we don't chase where the best conditions will be, we make plans to hit certain places on certain days and just about always have a blast. Mount Snow tomorrow for St. Patty's day, working at Bromley Saturday, plus it's spring fling day, pond skimming, etc. Magic Sunday, Mount Snow Monday and Hunter on Tuesday.

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
look forward to your report of conditions, esp hunter on Tues as I may be heading that way later in the week
Heading up to Vermont this afternoon. Unlike some people we don't chase where the best conditions will be, we make plans to hit certain places on certain days and just about always have a blast. Mount Snow tomorrow for St. Patty's day, working at Bromley Saturday, plus it's spring fling day, pond skimming, etc. Magic Sunday, Mount Snow Monday and Hunter on Tuesday.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Stowe was fantastic till about 11, groomers would still be fun but Diane doesn’t ski groomers.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Warms temps made the snow gluey in the woods

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
normally rain isnt that bad for the snow when the snow is cycled though and was frozen. It still be powder when that rain starts falling tomorrow and it will gluely. My guess is the next nice skiing is going to be next thursday with temps in the 40s and sunshine. Until then id expect frozen stuff and chunked up frozen stuff.

We can actually stand to lose some snow up high right now, to get back some of our woods runs that now basically skiing in the canopy.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

yesterday at Stowe, prior to the snow getting sticky. My little half turns and glitches are to avoid hitting things with my head, the snow depth is so high that the tree runs are nt cut high enough.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You know that saying that a bad day of skiing is still better than not skiing at all? Stratton put that to the test today. I've not been there in years because it's so crowded but I figured it's on Ikon so why not give it another shot. Lifts on wind hold, big lines and the snow was so lousy and icy that we were convinced that one of the numerous people falling and sliding were going to take one of us out. Called it a day at 11:00 and drove home.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I didn't ski today. I was working at bromley and the internationals went home yesterday so they needed lifties so that's what I did. I was done by 2 and everyone I talked to kinda made a face when I asked about conditions. I'm a diehard and will go out in most anything However, today after standing outside in dampness I went meh I'm going to the bar. They could barely groom last night so I'm very hopeful tomorrow will be better. We have some friends coming to condo from the poconos so hoping for a magic'ly fun day tomorrow.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
You know that saying that a bad day of skiing is still better than not skiing at all? Stratton put that to the test today. I've not been there in years because it's so crowded but I figured it's on Ikon so why not give it another shot. Lifts on wind hold, big lines and the snow was so lousy and icy that we were convinced that one of the numerous people falling and sliding were going to take one of us out. Called it a day at 11:00 and drove home.

It was about the same up here. My wife had a freind in town with her son so they hung out it the condo and attempted to ski today. Between the wind holds and being taken out by a d-bag from NYC, she called it a day at lunch and they have been drinking wine since then. I’m hoping her knee is feeling better by Monday or she’s off to the ortho to get it checked. I’m waiting for the late night wine call from her..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor