• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowing pretty steadily here at the Loaf. I beat the GPS by 1/2 hour across Moose Alley. I guess it wasn't expecting my well developed pothole slalom skills!

Been a tough week for the kid so far this week. DQ'd in the slalom today, hoping for redemption tomorrow.

Good luck up there with the races!

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Another SL (her best event) and then GS (that has been pushed back over and over since Saturday) on Wednesday.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Alright I'm going to Hunter a week from today. I figured I may as well while I still have my peak pass. I'm usually a bit tentative when going to a new to me resort.

When on unfamiliar terrain I prefer groomers. I'll usually warm up on a green and then find some blues that make me happy. I'm not necessarily into black diamond runs, especially at a new mountain but if there's a mellow one let me know where I can find it.

I've been told recently that I have the skill to ski harder terrain than I do but I've a bit of a confidence deficiency so this keeps from getting too wild and crazy. I'm going with a friend who is somewhat familiar with the mountain but I always like to have trails in my back pocket where I can hang in case I decide to let them go off so I can cruise. Can anyone who knows Hunter well give me some areas to check out, areas to avoid so that I don't accidentally wind up on a double black.

Thanks

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Alright I'm going to Hunter a week from today. I figured I may as well while I still have my peak pass. I'm usually a bit tentative when going to a new to me resort.

When on unfamiliar terrain I prefer groomers. I'll usually warm up on a green and then find some blues that make me happy. I'm not necessarily into black diamond runs, especially at a new mountain but if there's a mellow one let me know where I can find it.

I've been told recently that I have the skill to ski harder terrain than I do but I've a bit of a confidence deficiency so this keeps from getting too wild and crazy. I'm going with a friend who is somewhat familiar with the mountain but I always like to have trails in my back pocket where I can hang in case I decide to let them go off so I can cruise. Can anyone who knows Hunter well give me some areas to check out, areas to avoid so that I don't accidentally wind up on a double black.

Thanks

Pretty much everything there will be a groomer in the morning. No worries of accidentally ending up on a double black. Not possible. Belt Parkway off the top for a warm-up run then get away from that trail because that's where everyone who can't ski will be later. Just pretend all the black diamonds are really blue and you'll be fine.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunday River was great. No wind, lines weren't too bad on Saturday and heavy snow started around 11 am on Sunday. We had a fast group and everyone was in pretty good form so we lapped moguls and trees two days straight. There were some oddly shaped hard moguls in a few spots but if you can' do it in March you can't do it. The woods were mostly soft.

Skied Sunday River on Saturday and Sunday. Awesome weekend of opposite weather. The slopes were in great condition Saturday, and had 3-4" of fresh by Sunday afternoon. Saturday was warm and blue bird skies, Sunday was snowy and a mini blizzard. Saturday was very crowed, especially the ticket line, but if you know the mtn, you could avoid any long lines. We skied the Oz quad a lot, which had no line. The woods were really good on Saturday, with pretty soft snow and plenty of coverage. Sunday was pretty empty and in the afternoon, I actually didn't ski some glades because the snow was too deep (1-2ft) and I was on 70mm carving skis. I was demoing some front side carvers, which were not really the ski to be on this past weekend. Your wide boards were the ski for Sunday's conditions in the glades. It was also a lot colder on Sunday. From spring to mid-winter in 24 hrs.

To reply to the Loon opinion question, I am another Loon fan, mostly because it is the closest ~2000ft vertical mtn to Boston. I like the terrain at Cannon more, but Loon has much better snowmaking and grooming. Some of their lower trails just above the main lodge are boring, but there is enough there to explore and keep you interested. I definitely felt like the new South section improved the mtn by adding some variety. It can get crowded on certain weekends, and there is not a lot of ways to avoid it, but its a pretty good mtn. in my opinion.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've skied Loon a couple times over the years and like it a lot. Only can get there towards the end of the season but I haven't met a blue there I didn't like. Fun mountain and great bar for apre ski.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Stowe today at 10:30

54517809_10218245552910171_1128245921058914304_n.jpg

Stowe today at well.

54517637_10103681492037310_4573336337045782528_n.jpg

not my pictures but it was really good. Rain will for sure mess it up on friday.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I mean why cnat you work remotely? ironically you could probably buy a house on 10 acres in movegas for less than where you live in Ma ;)

You could start doing your work from the Octogon.

I was understudying a a Level 1 today, we had them do wedge christie in nose dive glades and then freeskied the rest of it. ;)

Bogatyr

Chasing the snow
Skier
This is from Jay Peak snow report for today 12-03-2019 . Interesting numbers ....
" We soared past the 350” mark for the season over the last 24-hours, and are now holding at 361” with the most snow on the east coast by a fair margin. We're also 100% open today, as Patrol was able to reopen the Face Chutes and St. Georges Prayer earlier this AM. Temps are in the mid-20s and the sun is now shining brightly.

With our current base depths, we’ll likely have snow on the mountain until June….maybe July? It’s a lot, in fact, it’s one of Vermont’s deepest recorded snowpacks since the records started. Not only that, but we pulled down another inch this morning before the snow tapered off.
"

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Wife and I are thinking of skiing Monday, 3/18 as we haven't skied since coming back from Telluride almost a month ago and not much season left for us. Realistically the furthest we could probably get from NY is So. Vt. Was thinking of trying Stratton as we've never skied the place.

How's the snow in So. Vt? Especially a couple of days after Friday's liquid event? Are the trees good to go at Stratton and will they still be on Monday??

If we'll be relegated to groomer zooming then we could probably do the same in the Catskills but if Stratton or anywhere else in So Vt will be better we would definitely consider it.

Thanks!

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Supposed to be 50s and rain showers here at Killington for Friday and then getting colder over the weekend and into all of next week. I don't think you need further details.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Wife and I are thinking of skiing Monday, 3/18 as we haven't skied since coming back from Telluride almost a month ago and not much season left for us. Realistically the furthest we could probably get from NY is So. Vt. Was thinking of trying Stratton as we've never skied the place.

How's the snow in So. Vt? Especially a couple of days after Friday's liquid event? Are the trees good to go at Stratton and will they still be on Monday??

If we'll be relegated to groomer zooming then we could probably do the same in the Catskills but if Stratton or anywhere else in So Vt will be better we would definitely consider it.

Thanks!

On monday I would go some place south or south east facing that is near or above freezing. Other wise its going to be Ice, or chuckned up granular.

Everywhere on the east all the ways up the Quebec City, and Gaspe, is going to get rain on friday. Then its going to be cold at least in the north till thursday. Its going to be for sure ice everywhere after saturday, unless your south facing and near freezing(or above).

If you could go tomorrow, or friday during the rain the surface will be a lot more enjoyable than monday.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
maybe high of 27 there on monday. Its probably the best bet in southern Vermont. In all honesty if there a south facing resort even further south its probably a better bet for soft snow. Catskills look like highs in the mid 30s on monday. with sun and no wind that will be corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor