• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm curious what people's opinions of Loon are. Because Loon is on the Ikon pass I decided to try it for the first time this past Saturday. I know that just coming back from Big Sky is coloring my opinion but I just wasn't that impressed with the terrain. I didn't make it over to south peak because my son didn't want to go over there. Is that where all the challenging trails are?

When I asked Noah what he thought he told me he would have rather of gone to Mount Sunapee. The terrain at Sunapee isn't more difficult but in his opinion more fun.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Loon has 500 more vertical. Sunapee has more fun blues and Loon has better steep blacks. I would take Loon over Sunapee any day. Without ice both are pretty tame.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Loon has 500 more vertical. Sunapee has more fun blues and Loon has better steep blacks. I would take Loon over Sunapee any day. Without ice both are pretty tame.

My son suggested Sunapee but that wouldn't have been my first alternative choice. Anyway, I'm curious about Loon in particular and not necessarily in comparison to Sunapee.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Killington skied great Saturday and was not very crowded for a Saturday. Sunday was also good and for some reason it was relatively empty until I left at 1:30. I passed Pico on the way out and the lot was packed. Go figure:)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My son suggested Sunapee but that wouldn't have been my first alternative choice. Anyway, I'm curious about Loon in particular and not necessarily in comparison to Sunapee.

OK, I went there this year for the first time ever and have now been three times. You can pretty much ski all the blacks in one day and decide for yourself.

North has a few blacks with moguls sometimes. I think triple something or other was the steepest. There are woods off walking boss.

South is smaller and has a few steep trails. Look for the woods under the lift.

It's probably easiest to park at south. The connecting lift to north doesn't take long. There are some trail merges where you need to be careful not to get hit. Avoid the north base area as the gondola line gets nuts. The bar seems to be a very popular place.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm curious what people's opinions of Loon are. Because Loon is on the Ikon pass I decided to try it for the first time this past Saturday. I know that just coming back from Big Sky is coloring my opinion but I just wasn't that impressed with the terrain. I didn't make it over to south peak because my son didn't want to go over there. Is that where all the challenging trails are?

When I asked Noah what he thought he told me he would have rather of gone to Mount Sunapee. The terrain at Sunapee isn't more difficult but in his opinion more fun.

I happen to be a big fan of Loon. (I like Sunapee too) But I don't think Sunapee has anything comparable to the East Basin at Loon. Overall not a steep mountain but I think its strength lies in the long cruisers off the gondola. I understand it is Boston's "darling" but I also have found over the years that it is one of the best run resorts that I have been to. Spending next weekend up there and looking forward to it with the entire mountain open.

Killington skied great Saturday and was not very crowded for a Saturday. Sunday was also good and for some reason it was relatively empty until I left at 1:30. I passed Pico on the way out and the lot was packed. Go figure:)

I was at Pico Sunday. Yes the lot was full but virtually no lines at all. There were races going on on some slope so that probably contributed to the full lot.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We skied Jay Peak Saturday, 8:30 -11:30. No line on Bon Adventure or Jet, 5-minute line on Freezer and probably a 4 tram line at tram. We had just skied 5 weekdays in a row and took off as soon as the slopes really started getting crowded.

We skied Mont Orford Monday and Wednesday. Owl's Head Tuesday. Jay Peak Thursday - Saturday.

It was cold in Canada!

Conditions Saturday at Jay were good: variable with some ice, some wind slab crud and some nice soft snow in bumps and glades. Groomers were pretty decent but already getting a bit scraped off by the time we called is quits.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the most challenging thing about Loon is not getting run over. :eek:

Actually, we witnessed a nasty crash from the chair over Flume. A snowboarder was standing on the traverse between the upper and lower sections looking downhill when a skier slipped on ice about 15-20' above him. The skier was flying when he fell and didn't slow down much when he hit he boarder, who had his legs ripped out and flipped backwards in the air and landed hard. They took him down in a sled.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like Loon quite a bit. Great cruisers, good vertical, an efficient lift system, and it's only a two hour drive from Boston. My issue is mostly that it gets mobbed on the weekends, and I wish it had some more interesting terrain. I ended up getting a pass at Cannon in addition to the Ikon Base because I have so much more fun skiing at Cannon than Loon, the lines are very manageable, and it's only another 10 minutes north on the highway.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like Loon quite a bit. Great cruisers, good vertical, an efficient lift system, and it's only a two hour drive from Boston. My issue is mostly that it gets mobbed on the weekends, and I wish it had some more interesting terrain. I ended up getting a pass at Cannon in addition to the Ikon Base because I have so much more fun skiing at Cannon than Loon, the lines are very manageable, and it's only another 10 minutes north on the highway.

Good choice. I think Lincoln is such a under rated ski town. Loon with Cannon could easily make a entertaining multi day stay. Of course for old timers (like me) you could do the original Ski 93 from Tenney to Bretton Woods

Reactions: RJS

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Simple answer is yesterday was the final day of the season long Sunday Afternoon local ski program. All the locals bring the kids out then hangout and socialize. It’s a Vermont thing.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Loon a month or so ago. The previous time was about 30 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised.

There were a couple fast icy runs off North Peak chair, and one real bump run. The East Basin chair serves the same terrain, and is empty because it is fixed grip.

The South side has one trail, Ripsaw, that has a pitch in the middle that is actually steep.

Crowds on the upper hill were not too bad. Parking lot, lunch spots, and restaurants for dinner were packed, though.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Smuggs will be like this as long as the current owner has it. He has tried hard to maintain the vibe & the crowd control on the narrow trails by keeping uphill traffic limited by the old double chairs. It still works great, it’s classic and well maintained. But issues pop up like anywhere..

Just an opinion. I pretty much learned how to ski at Smugglers when it was known as Madonna Mountain Ski Area and was owned by Tom Watson of IBM. That said I don't think I will go back any time soon with their current lift system. Don't get me wrong the skiing is great and the snow and terrain are awesome. But I think it could be up graded without ruining the experience.

Hear me out. Replace Sterling with a High Speed Quad, not the Six Pack I have heard rumors of.

Then, You can't run a Detachable up the spine of Madonna (current Madonna I line) because the winds would knock it out too much. But I think the solution is to take out Madonna II and run another high speed lift up a little higher up to approximately the area where Chilcote makes it turn from the shoulder of the mountain to head down toward the base. The way the mountain is shaped I think it would be protected enough to be able to be run most days. Then run a trail similar and parallel (obviously below) the current Catwalk across the mountain toward the Drifter - Lift line Junction (or near the current Madonna 1 mid station. I would think you could access parts of Docs, FIS, and Freefall from this 2nd Catwalk but the real reason I would want to do this is to shorten the Madonna I lift. running it from that approximate (Drifter -Liftline Jct) area up to the summit.

I realize there are a lot of people who love Smuggs and want to keep it the way it is and I totally respect that. It just won't be on my radar any time soon.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, we witnessed a nasty crash from the chair over Flume. A snowboarder was standing on the traverse between the upper and lower sections looking downhill when a skier slipped on ice about 15-20' above him. The skier was flying when he fell and didn't slow down much when he hit he boarder, who had his legs ripped out and flipped backwards in the air and landed hard. They took him down in a sled.
Fing double plankers:)

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Just an opinion. I pretty much learned how to ski at Smugglers when it was known as Madonna Mountain Ski Area and was owned by Tom Watson of IBM. That said I don't think I will go back any time soon with their current lift system. Don't get me wrong the skiing is great and the snow and terrain are awesome. But I think it could be up graded without ruining the experience.

Hear me out. Replace Sterling with a High Speed Quad, not the Six Pack I have heard rumors of.

Then, You can't run a Detachable up the spine of Madonna (current Madonna I line) because the winds would knock it out too much. But I think the solution is to take out Madonna II and run another high speed lift up a little higher up to approximately the area where Chilcote makes it turn from the shoulder of the mountain to head down toward the base. The way the mountain is shaped I think it would be protected enough to be able to be run most days. Then run a trail similar and parallel (obviously below) the current Catwalk across the mountain toward the Drifter - Lift line Junction (or near the current Madonna 1 mid station. I would think you could access parts of Docs, FIS, and Freefall from this 2nd Catwalk but the real reason I would want to do this is to shorten the Madonna I lift. running it from that approximate (Drifter -Liftline Jct) area up to the summit.

I realize there are a lot of people who love Smuggs and want to keep it the way it is and I totally respect that. It just won't be on my radar any time soon.

I think your idea is totally plausible and rerouting M1 and tweaking M2 would be nessisary. Or adding another lift up Madonna to where shuttle & lower drifter meet up to feed those glades. So many options but I know money is tight there. I’d fully support some upgrading, but I don’t want to see it go old school to fully updated overnight.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Magic was very fun yesterday.

53150401_10156280603173014_3352340631589486592_n.jpg

53082540_10156280603263014_8118388079577792512_n.jpg

53039177_10156280603873014_2513496766645534720_n.jpg

53090621_10156280606588014_5116582805874147328_n.jpg

53794496_10156280607798014_1896677624000806912_n.jpg

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Still a few days out, but the NWS forecast for Mount Mansfield (Stowe) for Sunday is:

Rain and snow. High near 36. Strong and damaging winds, with a south wind 55 to 60 mph increasing to 65 to 70 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 85 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Gusts of 85mph? What is with the weekly hurricane force winds on Mount Mansfield this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online