• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neski3

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Passed on skiing this weekend at Bretton. A friend was up their with family and said Saturday was rough, Sunday better but still icy. Planning to ski Wednesday and Thursday, thoughts on whether Tuesdays storm will fix the problems in WM region? Looks like more rain coming for Saturday.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
not really, 40s and raining turning into snow with snow falling on an unfrozen surface would be ideal. I have feeling that tuesday may not fix vermont, but saturday might.

to put in perspective how bad stowe was today off the groomed, I tried to retrieve a pole about 6 feet off nosedive trail on sharp skis, and ended up not getting the pole and having to self arrest with my pole. The freezing rain on wednesday night really did a number.

Not good! Everyone needs to stay safe out there.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Quick report from weekend at Stratton. Skiing Saturday was horrible. No one to blame except good old New England mother nature. Stayed low on low angle stuff but it was pretty bad. The morning was all we could take . But it did not ruin the weekend by any means. We were staying up on the mountain, so we traded the ice out on the slopes for the ice in our cocktail glasses went back and hot tubbed it for a while, pre-gamed in the room and went strolling in the Stratton Mt village. I have seen people make some fun of the Village but we think its pretty nice. I'm shopping for a new coat (not that I would buy one up in Stratton Village but shopping) so we went into the Bogner store, the Northface Store and a couple of others before hitting the pub below Mulligans for a couple of cocktails then going upstairs and having a decent dinner there.

In the meantime I want to give kudos to the Stratton Mountain operations crew who did yoman work over night. We were able to get on line for the Gondola opening and get right to the top Sunday morning and got some really nice runs in early with fresh man made snow and grooming. The new Snow Bowl HSQ is a great improvement to the mountain and I'm looking forward to getting back there and skiing it when conditions are better.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Anyone skiing at Gore this Wednesday? They look to in the middle of this next round starting tomorrow. Hopefully it stays as snow. Thinking about driving up tomorrow.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
This past weekend really made me appreciate bromley groomers. Coming off a freeze thaw cycle really had me expecting the worst. The groomers did a fabulous job and lots of snow was blown. I didn't see much ice, a fair bit of edgeable hard pack and quite alot of wonderful soft packed powder. The sun was shining and it was quite an unexpectedly nice weekend.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bromley faces south and I have no doubts it was probably a pretty good call. Getting to the time of year where the sun plays a greater role in snow conditions. Noticed some "corning" at spots on Sunday in direct sunlight even with temps below freezing. Good for this past weekend, but Bromley can "bake" when the weather gets warm.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Bromley faces south and I have no doubts it was probably a pretty good call. Getting to the time of year where the sun plays a greater role in snow conditions. Noticed some "corning" at spots on Sunday in direct sunlight even with temps below freezing. Good for this past weekend, but Bromley can "bake" when the weather gets warm.

Very true. I work there so have no choice on being there in that way. I'm biased but the groomers always do a great job from the day after Thanksgiving opening all through early April when we close. I always call bromley the wind mountain because despite the south facing position it's often not sunny but is usually pretty damn windy. Bromley can indeed bake but that fatter sticks come out and we rock and roll till usually the 2nd week of April when mandated to close.

Spelunker

Booting up
Skier
What's everyone predicting for this storm? Anyone have any good weather sources for southern Vermont?

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
latest model run on major website , There is a bit of an ice glace in there, up to Killington.

quinncast.JPG

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Stowe groomers were pretty good today. Chinclip got the treatment and was pretty fun. Lifeline looked really, really bad. IT wasn't just roped off, it is actually closed with a wall of B-net. Hayride was only open at the top and Centerline had also been flattened. The bump runs were as shiny as crunched up aluminum foil. Other than April, it is hard to imagine what will un-crust them.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I am very much looking forward to a report tomorrow about how the new snow is interfacing with that crunched up aluminum foil.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I can tell you right not it hasnt.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Maybe 3 inches over night at 1600 feet in northern vermont. Seems to be a bust, maybe Stowe will report/got more. edit Stowe is reporting 7 inches overnight.

Appear that we are getting some favorable air flow for Lake Ontario lake affect though mid day thursday, most forecaster wont pick up on that.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I am keeping my fingers crossed for the weekend, both the conditions and the Holiday crowds. I plan on coming up Saturday and skiing Sunday at Killington on a Costco pass and then skiing Monday at Stratton on my Ikon.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm bummed Magic is closed today for a private mountain rental. Otherwise they surely would have opened for a powder day. Nonetheless Bromley should be good this coming long weekend. I'll be working my final big stretch of the season. Hoping to sneak a few runs in.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Lifeline looked really, really bad. IT wasn't just roped off, it is actually closed with a wall of B-net

The B-net wall atop the Haychute was there on Sunday as well... I guess they really don't want anyone going in there. :eek:

Other than April, it is hard to imagine what will un-crust them.

Good thing the New England Gathering Stowe days start on March 31st! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.