• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Just so you feel better, there were some horrible spots of powder filled with ice chunks like raisin bread.

I saw a video of Pete Novom skiing some trees that looked pretty awful too. I weep for you.

At Stowe it was just too damn good to stop and take pictures. If we had though, it would have been with powder contrails surrounding our bodies.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Here you can listen to my awkward breathing as Jake skis some powder in angel food at 3pm yesterday.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Has anyone been through the Roxbury Gap? I'm not worried about traction, just don't want to wreck my car in ice ruts.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ Not suprpising. Stratton reported -18* at the top today, and upper mountain lifts are still closed.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at Sunday River for the day yesterday. Exceptional day of powder skiing. Lots of light power everywhere, including some really deep snow in the glades. The mtn was 100% open, even Poppy field glades which I have never seen open. White Heat lift has been down all week, and after bushwacking to get over there in the late afternoon, found some untracked runs and some dangerously deep glades snow. I managed to put a ski on the wrong side of a small tree and fell downhill into 5 feet of powder. Uphill ski was stuck in trees and the only way to recover was take skis off and crawl back up to them. Thank god I had Tyrollia Attach 13's and not Markers. Once I dug the snow away from the binding with my pole I was able to pop the binding off. rolled my feet downhill, and got my head up out of the snow. The pitch was very steep and it was almost like falling into a tree well. My buddy offered help, but couldn't hike above me due to the brush and how deep the snow was. There is a reason you should never go into the woods alone and should stay within shouting distance of each other. We made another run and I was a lot more carful on the bushwack and didn't have any issues. Here are some pictures from the day.

IMG_20190130_075255494.jpg IMG_20190130_102647473.jpg IMG_20190130_105942914.jpg IMG_20190130_114449816.jpg IMG_20190130_131102768.jpg

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
managed to put a ski on the wrong side of a small tree and fell downhill into 5 feet of powder. Uphill ski was stuck in trees and the only way to recover was take skis off and crawl back up to them.
-
The pitch was very steep and it was almost like falling into a tree well.
View attachment 64196
In that sittuation, not sure how I'd feel about looking at those topsheets:eek: ... I'd like to think motivation to get out of there but:huh: :nono:

Glad you're OK, @ScottB.
What she said!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was at Sunday River for the day yesterday. Exceptional day of powder skiing. Lots of light power everywhere, including some really deep snow in the glades. The mtn was 100% open, even Poppy field glades which I have never seen open. White Heat lift has been down all week, and after bushwacking to get over there in the late afternoon, found some untracked runs and some dangerously deep glades snow. I managed to put a ski on the wrong side of a small tree and fell downhill into 5 feet of powder. Uphill ski was stuck in trees and the only way to recover was take skis off and crawl back up to them. Thank god I had Tyrollia Attach 13's and not Markers. Once I dug the snow away from the binding with my pole I was able to pop the binding off. rolled my feet downhill, and got my head up out of the snow. The pitch was very steep and it was almost like falling into a tree well. My buddy offered help, but couldn't hike above me due to the brush and how deep the snow was. There is a reason you should never go into the woods alone and should stay within shouting distance of each other. We made another run and I was a lot more carful on the bushwack and didn't have any issues. Here are some pictures from the day.

View attachment 64195 View attachment 64196 View attachment 64197 View attachment 64198 View attachment 64199

The chutzpah woods get thick to skiers left I think you have to stay right when it gets steep. But whatever it takes for 5'

We traversed to whitecap a couple times last storm good stuff. I wondered if there's a line going right off shockwave to the right and beleive there is.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
hey did you ski woods today?

the thing is today wasnt deep, well except for one run, but the conditions were impossible to ski into hard pack on due the wind buffing/packing.

my phone kept dieing so I only got 2 short clips. Diane in Olde Lorde and me in Goat Woods.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
you also know its cold when I am wearing an insulated jacket to ski woods in.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Smuggs was fairly quiet today. Conditions were pretty good. Tad wind blown at the top. Some of the upper glades were a mix of wind blown ice and 12” of wind blown fluff. My glades skills still need excessive improvement.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Mt Ellen today. Snow was good and wind wasn’t too bad. I heard Bravo was on wind hold for awhile and the crowds were big at Lincoln.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Killington today and snow conditions were generally pretty good. It was a bit windy and crowded but you could avoid lift lines by hitting the singles lines. The Needles Eye gondi was down all day and the bubble chair 6 pack was down until ~ 2, so that added to the lift lines.
Going to hit Pico tomorrow until ~ 1 and then head home for a SB party, hoping there will not be much traffic on the road at that point.

Both days will be ski council days so if you belong to a ski club it is $54 for Killington and $42 for Pico both days. Saving days on my Ikon pass in the hopes of a big ski season for me.

James

Out There
Instructor
Going to hit Pico tomorrow until ~ 1 and then head home for a SB party, hoping there will not be much traffic on the road at that point.
I think there won't be much traffic on the slopes then. They'll likely be on the road.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I skied at Berkshire East on Saturday. Everything was groomed out, but I had my slalom skis, so it was a good match. Snow was good, conditions were minimal.

Had thought about doing a Stowe day trip, but the Stowe forecast indicated 50+ mph winds and I didn’t want to risk all that driving for wind holds. I’ll be back.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am skiing tomorrow (monday) and want to avoid rain. Is there a site I can check in the morning that will let me know if it rained at sugarbush or gore? The forecast is higher rain risk the more north you go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor