• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Driving to and from Burke sucked, [/QUOTE]

Sorry I just don't get it why the drive to Burke is so bad, buts thats the reason I mostly hear from folks I know. It takes 3 hrs from Newbury, Ma, other area's such as MRG, Jay, Stowe, Sugarbush are just as far but i here no such complaint about the drive . i have been a pass holder for 2 years and with good snow you can get as much skiing in as anywhere.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Driving to and from Burke sucked,

Sorry I just don't get it why the drive to Burke is so bad, buts thats the reason I mostly hear from folks I know. It takes 3 hrs from Newbury, Ma, other area's such as MRG, Jay, Stowe, Sugarbush are just as far but i here no such complaint about the drive . i have been a pass holder for 2 years and with good snow you can get as much skiing in as anywhere.

I think people are just creeped out by venturing into the NEK where you really gotta hunt for a Macchiato. I grew to love Burke as a teen in the seventies, and much later to love KIngdom Trails in the 2000s. So no resistance on my part!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Brad J and @Tony S , you guys misunderstood my comment. It sucked driving from my hotel in St. Johnsbury to Burke because of the terrible driving conditions. I have no problems driving to no. VT and do it all the time. The "bailing on the drive" was specific to driving in this weekends storm, not to the NEK in general.

Edited in my that part of my original post:

"Driving to and from Burke sucked, even if it was only 30 minutes from the hotel. I don’t blame people for bailing on the drive."

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This afternoon I said,
On my front, I am giving up. One run after my warming break, and I was already freezing. When Goniff Glade doesn't warm you up , you know it's cold.
@Sibhusky I was thinking of you and your saying "there is no bad weather, only bad clothing" as I was struggling with the cold. The problem is, I don't HAVE any clothes for this weather.

James

Out There
Instructor
Kevin, I also am bummed for you.

On my front, I am giving up. One run after my warming break, and I was already freezing. When Goniff Glade doesn't warm you up , you know it's cold.

I think I did see a mosquito wearing a Canada Goose parka. Surprised they make them in that size.

This afternoon I said,

@Sibhusky I was thinking of you and your saying "there is no bad weather, only bad clothing" as I was struggling with the cold. The problem is, I don't HAVE any clothes for this weather.
How was the chair ride? A killer likely.
The best appears to be ascending sizes of down coats with a wind barrier. Hood over helmet is essential. Though a good thing appears to be the fleecy exo balaclava that people wear over the helmet. Hood over that with beanie under the helmet or balaclava.
Today an astronaut's helmet would've been nice to keep out the wind.
I did about 5 half runs as the top lift wasn't running, though the bubble at Jackson Gore was running. Bubbles make a huge difference in weather like this.

I went with the boot gloves and chemical warmers. Plus seams taped.
One person I know had electric socks, boot heaters, and boot gloves.

Just another classic MLK wknd day. It's usually a good wkend to skip.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I never took a run. I spent two hours waiting for a lesson that never showed (can't blame them, but it would have been nice to know!). Stowe only had the Triple and the Meados Quad running, and people were pretty much walking down because the snow was so cold.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We had a really fun weekend skiing in the eastern townships of Quebec this long weekend. Skied most of the day Saturday and sunday at Mont Orford. Yesterday at Owls Head was the coldest and the snow was uber sticky and the skis felt like they had no wax. It was fun though and conditions were great. Bromley's snow report said over the weekend to ride your snow mobile to the mountain. Yesterday they said there was no bad weather, just bad clothing. Having no skin exposed and the right clothing absolutely makes a difference. It was fun to ski all 3 pairs of skis that I brought this weekend. Powder weekends like this in eastern Quebec are rare and it sure was a treat. It was all we could do not to crash at the condo last night and ski bromley today but we're being responsible grrr ;).

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
so wish I had some stupid hard wax right now.

I think today could be VERY fun, if we are able to slide at all. The wind yesterday had to have blown everything worth skiing flat.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah triple is on hold .....

no wind at my house...

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Smuggs is on hold till 10am right now. Just spoke with a few folks at the base and they mentioned possibly delaying Madonna & Sterling a little longer as the winds up top are still 25mph+ and -21F. No wind at my condo here at the base though.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That was fun and cold. I think this was Hollywood at Sunday River. They were supposed to get 24"-36" but it turned out to be about 20" which was plenty.

This could turn out to be the best year in a long time. Fingers crossed.

sr.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Any word on a liquid event wed or thurs?
Too classic. Twelve to eighteen inches followed by high winds that scour to zero.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking like snow (couple inches) turning to rain and then back to snow. Not a good recipe :-(
Well, it will cover the rocks that got exposed by the wind scour.
Yesterday at Magic the trail Witch (leads to Goniff Glade) was scoured down to the pre-storm ice. The snow that had been on the top of Magician was all in a big drift on the cattrack above it. I think a lot depended on the direction the trail faces -- not everything was scoured.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Driving home in north Jersey a huge chunk of ice came hurtling off the top of an SUV and mashed my hood and windshield. If I hadn't steered slightly to the left it would have landed in my lap. The same thing happened to me ~ 25 years ago and shattered my windshield, this time i have a dent in my hood, a missing windshield wiper, and some soiled underwear:) No, the driver did not stop and I pulled over quickly to evaluate WTF just happened.

I had similar fun yesterday on my drive back. (Man was it a windy drive.) On the New Jersey Turnpike extension (near the Meadowlands), the car in front of me kicked up in the air what appeared to be the metal frame of either a folding chair or table. No time to react. It bounced right in front of my car, hit my grill hard, I think split in two, part to the side, part under the car. Lots of strange noises. At least no additional idiot lights went on, so I guess no major damage. Reminder to self - walk out to take a look at car.

I won't comment on the condition of my underwear.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m at K now. Wouldn’t say the trails are completely scoured. Some of the unggroomed bump trails are a bit Icey but still skiing nicely (by Eastern skiing standards).

As you can imagine, the trees are skiing quite nicely.

Took my Enforcer 110’s out for the first time today. What a great tree ski and even fun on the groomed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online