• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
the triple chair to the top of the mountain isn't in service

Then they need to take it off the map and off the website, so that people understand that ALL they have is one slow double to all the non-trivial skiing.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was at Cannon this weekend. My Ikon was blacked out, but part of the reason that I got a Cannon pass was to ski on holidays.

Conditions were fair yesterday. Despite a little bit of new snow the day before, things were firm and icy very quickly. Surprisingly, the views were very nice, with low clouds hanging below the tops of the surrounding mountains. I've been eyeing some of the glades at Cannon, and finally tried some out. Up top, I tried Lost Boys Glade from maybe halfway down Upper Cannon, and didn't like it very much. It was very tight and scrapped off to the point where it felt like a luge track in certain places. If I knew the trail and was better at hop turns I would have enjoyed it more. The trees were better spaced in the lower mountain glades that I tried, but the cover was very, very thin. I'm sure the snow today helped quite a bit.

Views from Vista Way:

Views of Kinsman from Taft Slalom:

Lost Boys Glade:

I had a lot of fun skiing in the new snow today. Most of the lifts started the day on wind hold, so Eagle Cliff/Zoomer was the only terrain available for awhile, and things got crowded and tracked out very quickly. I managed to have some fun runs and get some untracked snow on the sides of runs and on a couple of harder to get to trails. DJ's opened for the season. I skied it in March for the first time and know just how rocky it is, so I didn't want to wreck my bases this early in the season. I would love to ski it in March/April when it has better coverage. Overall it was a good day. This was the most crowded that I have seen Cannon, which makes sense given that it's a powder day on a holiday weekend. The new snow was fun, though again the whole mountain got tracked out pretty fast. No pictures from today, I was having too much fun skiing, and it was snowing all day.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was going to go to Magic today since the Ikon pass was blocked out and I've always wanted to check the place out. I opted to brave the crowds at Killington and it was off the charts fun today. They got 11" overnight and another 6" today. Despite the overflowing parking lots and cars parked on Route 4, we never waited on line > 5 minutes all day and many times ski on. Not sure where all the people were.

A lady in our ski club is a longtime ambassador there and knows the mountain inside and out. She rips too and took me on tree runs that i didn't even know existed. I think she was trying to kill me (maybe my wife had something to do with this). Our warmup runs were Outer Limits, Outer Limits, Devils Fiddle and then non stop tree runs. Gave a tree a forearm shiver rather than my face. Legs are toast. Hot shower tonight was money.

Not sure what i'm doing tomorrow with the frigid weather.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was going to go to Magic today since the Ikon pass was blocked out and I've always wanted to check the place out. I opted to brave the crowds at Killington and it was off the charts fun today. They got 11" overnight and another 6" today. Despite the overflowing parking lots and cars parked on Route 4, we never waited on line > 5 minutes all day and many times ski on. Not sure where all the people were.

A lady in our ski club is a longtime ambassador there and knows the mountain inside and out. She rips too and took me on tree runs that i didn't even know existed. I think she was trying to kill me (maybe my wife had something to do with this). Our warmup runs were Outer Limits, Outer Limits, Devils Fiddle and then non stop tree runs. Gave a tree a forearm shiver rather than my face. Legs are toast. Hot shower tonight was money.

Not sure what i'm doing tomorrow with the frigid weather.

It’s why it’s the Beast......people can hate on it all they want....as your post explains.....it can be a lot of fun....with lots of room to explore!

Great report...that sounds like my kind of day....we always start our day on Bear...

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yeah, the lines were long. I asked a Burke regular on the lift if this was a typical busy day and he said it was the busiest he’d seen in a very long time

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
50620465_1062564440612590_6710957778061492224_o.jpg

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah pretty unstable.

Taking today off, tomorrow could be fun with some fresh wind blown, but we had plan to going chute hunting that I may call off.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Where is that slide?

I’m just sitting here waiting for my lesson. Only one lift running. It may be cold and windy but at least there are no mosquitoes.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
So I missed out on the weekend storm. Where should I head Wednesday for leftovers? Hopefully someplace less than 5 hours from NYC area. Leaning towards Gore based on yesterday's reports.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
hard to complain though.

gendateplot.php

the avalanche happens somewhere in the Notch between stowe and smuggs.

Even a road near okemo got closed last night due to avalanche.

Most in bound terrain can not slide, but there are many line outside of stowe that are slide risk

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow it is cold here at Magic. I waxed for teens above zero. It doesn't work too well at teens below zero. The icy cattracks are fine, and the groomers are ok but weird feeling. But the steep mogul runs with yesterday's new snow are really hard to ski. No glide at all. Smear a turn? Not happening.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Where is that slide?

I’m just sitting here waiting for my lesson. Only one lift running. It may be cold and windy but at least there are no mosquitoes.

I’m sitting in Chicago having missed a connecting flight to Jackson Hole because my Boston flight had to turn back to disembark a sick passenger. I was flying out today because my earlier flights were cancelled because of the storm.

And there’s apparently no way to get to Jackson in time for the start of Steep and Deep. Waiting to hear back from them to see if I can postpone enrollment to next year (I can’t make the other camp dates this season).

But hey, no mosquitoes in Chicago either!

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Are you aborting the mission entirely? I figured you'd just go to JH anyway.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m sitting in Chicago having missed a connecting flight to Jackson Hole because my Boston flight had to turn back to disembark a sick passenger. I was flying out today because my earlier flights were cancelled because of the storm.

And there’s apparently no way to get to Jackson in time for the start of Steep and Deep. Waiting to hear back from them to see if I can postpone enrollment to next year (I can’t make the other camp dates this season).

But hey, no mosquitoes in Chicago either!

That totally sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online