• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
At Sun Peaks it has been a week since we had a decent snowfall so it is groomers, moguls (which I mostly avoid unless there is lots of loose snow) and a few non groomed, non moguled, somewhat wind blown somewhat soft, somewhat ugly runs. There are some groomed blue and black runs where you can let 'er rip.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Schweitzer needs some fresh as well ... just as Pete said for Silver. Suppose to get some starting tomorrow - a little each day - so hopefully by the weekend it good to go.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It's good groomer conditions here. Some hardpack, off piste is pretty gross looking and no one is doing it. But even though we're 100% open, there still some sketchy sections and brown showing through, along with tree tops, on quite a few runs. The hardpack I've come across is minor stuff if your skis have a good edge. No blue ice. I did have about 100 foot controlled side slip a couple days back, though. That's a front side run, and before that I'd had to transit dirt, stones, stumps and irregular moguls, so the side slip section (about 10-15 foot across, flat surface, double fall line) was a relief. We won't be hitting that run again for a while.

Coomba

Booting up
Skier
Skied Silver Wed (yesterday). Off piste absolutely taboo frozen. Runs very hard but skiable (Silver Belt and Sunrise best). Chair 3 bullet proof. Did not even go over to 4.

My estimation a minimum of 6 inches to heal things up and that won't be enough on the steeps.

Thanks Pete I'm waiting for that 6 inches...maybe tomorrow or Saturday?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It is starting to nuke on the South end of the state. Sun Valley has gotten 8"-9" so far and looks to be dumping and blowing. expected to last another 24 hours or so.
Hope you guys get it too!

snowghost

spknmike
Skier
Skied Silver Wed (yesterday). Off piste absolutely taboo frozen. Runs very hard but skiable (Silver Belt and Sunrise best). Chair 3 bullet proof. Did not even go over to 4.

My estimation a minimum of 6 inches to heal things up and that won't be enough on the steeps.

Thanks for the report, Pete. Hopefully by tomorrow we are back in business. Storm on Sunday too.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Just got back from Bridger. It snowed about 1/4" and has now stopped. Pretty hard conditions. We're headed to Phillipsburg tomorrow and we'll check out Discovery. This was my first time at Bridger Bowl and I was impressed by the terrain but, unfortunately, not the snow.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Schweitzer has 5" today and suppose to get about the same tonight and tomorrow. Fingers crossed as the off-piste sure needs it.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Posaune et al. Sorry snow was bad at Bridger, hope Yellowstone visit went well. Snowing here now gettiing better.
Yellowstone went much more than "well." It was awesome in the true meaning of the word. We're heading home after Discovery. Baker is looking at 12 to 24 inches in the next few days.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Glad you and the wif had a good time at Yellowstone. Still an El Nino year here. 8-10 inches at Silver today but settled and a little heavy. Legs took a beating today.

Coomba

Booting up
Skier
. 8-10 inches at Silver today but settled and a little heavy. Legs took a beating today.

Beat me to it Pete; fun skiing at Silver today but the snow was a work out. They reported 5 inches overnight and 11 inches in 24 hours, the wolf pack had the new snow diced and sliced by 11:00. Some visibility issues near the top of the mountain and all over later in the afternoon. Another 12 inches and things will really be nice as long as the temps stay below freezing.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Just got done at Discovery. They had about 3" two days ago and it helped, but it was getting harder as the day went on. It was snowing hard, though, when we left but it was pretty warm at just above freezing at the base.

I didn't try any of the numerous double diamond runs since there was so little base and there were small trees sticking up all over. Also it would have been pretty icy underneath. As at Bridger, the terrain looked great, though.

We've decided to head home tomorrow. It looks like the home mountains will have similar conditions with a lot more snow base.

We hit five ski areas on our trip to and from Yellowstone: 49* North, Silver Mountain, Montana Snowbowl, Bridger Bowl, and Discovery. All are worthy places.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
FWIW, my daughter tells me that there are still stumps/treetops, hard icy moguls, rain crust, under all the fresh snow we got here as well. I've been staying on the groomers, where conditions are fine. It's been snowing on and off for two days, but not hard enough.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Seven inches of fresh powder pretty much to the valley floor meant they closed the schools (I had three miles of unplowed roads to get through, not surprised the buses weren't on the roads) and the whole town arrived. Things got tracked out pretty thoroughly in most places since we hadn't yet recovered from the holiday weekend. Still down to hardpack on many runs.

But, it was a great day, nevertheless. @LiquidFeet got her powder.

Edit. I discovered the picture vanished.
50422608_10156884460152488_2620073210409910272_o.jpg
50422608_10156884460152488_2620073210409910272_o.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hit Silver today (wed) 8 inches and will have to say it was sierra cement and the worst powder I have skied since I have lived here (16yrs). Did not have a good ski day, partly lack of ability on my part and flat light heavy powder too.

Coomba

Booting up
Skier
Hit Silver today (wed) 8 inches and will have to say it was sierra cement and the worst powder I have skied since I have lived here (16yrs). Did not have a good ski day, partly lack of ability on my part and flat light heavy powder too.
I skied the left overs yesterday and the snow was challenging, especially with the fog and flat light. Had to ski a couple of groomers until the visibility improved.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Lookout Yesterday (Mon) with wife, friend, Coomba and myself. Grooming was good as expected. Coomba and I tested off piste and was frozen solid so passed up going under chair 2 to the bottom. We had fun zooming around the mt. was cold but no wind and sunshine so was a good day.

Sponsor

Staff online