• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Personally I would not plan a road trip to here, not yet.

Well, we're now on our road trip to the region. Oh, well, we'll have fun anyway. 49* N on Sunday, forecast is for some snow and high winds. I'm worried that there seems to be a lot of warmth in the atmosphere and rain could be part of the mix too. If I wanted that I could have stayed home! We may have to improvise.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Well, we're now on our road trip to the region. Oh, well, we'll have fun anyway. 49* N on Sunday, forecast is for some snow and high winds. I'm worried that there seems to be a lot of warmth in the atmosphere and rain could be part of the mix too. If I wanted that I could have stayed home! We may have to improvise.

Good luck on the snow, and good times on the trip. When at a loss for snow there are always hot springs and vineyards.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just took the dogs out and we have 3” at my condo which is just below the lodge. Windy. Could be a good day!

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Just back to the room after skiing 49* N. for the first time ever. We had a really nice day. 5" of new and the heavy winds forecast for the day were pretty much done by the time we got started. I was pinching myself because this was a Sunday with good conditions in January and the hill seemed EMPTY. While there were quite a number of cars in the parking lot, the place is much bigger in area than I imagined and the people just disappear. No lines. There was fog at the very top of the mountain, but it wasn't particularly thick and it only was on maybe the upper 100' of vertical. Visibility was great otherwise.

All in all an impressive day. I would give the snow and conditions a B grade. A fun time was had by all.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Just back to the room after skiing 49* N. for the first time ever. We had a really nice day. 5" of new and the heavy winds forecast for the day were pretty much done by the time we got started. I was pinching myself because this was a Sunday with good conditions in January and the hill seemed EMPTY. While there were quite a number of cars in the parking lot, the place is much bigger in area than I imagined and the people just disappear. No lines. There was fog at the very top of the mountain, but it wasn't particularly thick and it only was on maybe the upper 100' of vertical. Visibility was great otherwise.

All in all an impressive day. I would give the snow and conditions a B grade. A fun time was had by all.

Glad you had a good day on my hill. 49* North claims to be the second largest (by acres) ski area in WA, it is big. Only place I can remember ever waiting in line there has been midway on chair 1.

Wish I could have been there, but I played at Soldier Mountain which was interesting.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at Silver on Saturday 12/29, when the winds hit. It was like gale force winds at the top of the gondola, but not an issue at all on Chair 2, though fog was an issue pretty much all day, and freezing fog on goggles made visibility a challenge. Taking the cat track around the top of Chair 2 to Skyway Ridge, the winds suddenly hit like a wall of wind, it was hard to move forward, much easier when dropping down into Centennial/Gold/ Prospector on Chair 4. Skied down to the bottom of Chair 4 once, no wind and perfect visibility, though the coverage was thin.

Quite dramatic for my first time at Silver. They apparently closed ticket sales around 11am due to wind concerns, Shamora didn’t ski at all and they gave her a voucher for another visit. I left early after skiing 3-4 hours. I wouldn’t mind returning.

Schweitzer on Sun 12/30 and Monday 12/31, nice bluebird day on Sunday with some fresh snow in the morning. Biggest crowds I have ever seen at Schweitzer, I heard they had 6100 people on the slopes, a record-setting day, but the longest lift line I was in was 5 minutes and the slopes were never crowded, until all the trails converge at the bottom of the front side. A little icy on the bottom of the Outback bowl. I did some twilight (night skiing) and as we were staying in a B and B above the village I was able to ski in and out (the hosts had a headlamp I could borrow to navigate).

Monday was a groomer-zoomer day. Perfect corduroy on White Lightning, Stiles and JR first thing in the morning, then 4 runs on Lakeview triple all before 10:30am. More fun on the Outback side after that, Australia was good, but Colburn School is still pretty irregular and needs some more snow so they can maybe groom it a couple times to set up for some normal bumps to form. Lines were much shorter than the previous day.

All in all a fun New Years trip.

snowghost

spknmike
Skier
Best day of the year at Silver yesterday.. Pushing knee deep snow most the day and face shots without trying too hard. One of those days to avoid anything not steep.

I've been noticing quite a bit of flagging in some of the "local stashes" -- probably will be cut/gladed into runs? Wardner/Lower 4 might be a whole lot different in a year or two. I do appreciate the brush cutting and glading I've already come across. A couple of those newly cut glade runs are fantastic.

Last edited:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Just got down the hill from Silver today. We met up with Pete and he showed us around. While yesterday was a big powder day there were lots of yummy leftovers today. Pete was a great guide! He had us all over the mountain. Fun, fun, fun. Thanks Pete!! I'm impressed with Silver Mountain.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Moving east on our trip we stopped in Missoula and skied Snowbowl today. The upper mountain was great with some visibility issues for newbies to the area like us, but not too bad. People were friendly, the snow was good, and the beer cold. The only thing this mountain needs is some signs to lead people like us back to the base area. It's really confusing for first timers and we had to ask a friendly ski patrol guy to help us find our way back down since much of the lower mountain is not really skiable due to low coverage with lots of rocks, stumps, and trees in the way. If the lower part of the mountain was covered better this place would be really amazing, but with only one lift with enough coverage it still made for a good day. There is an expansion set for next season with a new lift that will open up a bunch of new terrain.:thumb:

Next stop (unless we change our minds) is Bridger Bowl.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Whitefish inversion day. Moe-mentum.

Edit. I discovered the picture vanished
50050973_10156861573647488_6409648638082940928_o.jpg

50050973_10156861573647488_6409648638082940928_o.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Lookout Sunday (yesterday) 17 degrees and about 25 mph wind on top of chairs 1, coldest ride up one ever. Fog b lowing in from Montana. Chair 2 was better. Snow hard and some rapple roughness in places but good grooming. ok days brrrr.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Silver Wed (yesterday). Off piste absolutely taboo frozen. Runs very hard but skiable (Silver Belt and Sunrise best). Chair 3 bullet proof. Did not even go over to 4.

My estimation a minimum of 6 inches to heal things up and that won't be enough on the steeps.