• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes they need more snow - but what they had was great. Had to pay attention - lots of things lurking off piste with the low coverage. Great weather, sunny, light wind. Hoping snow keeps coming next week to setup a good holiday run.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Anybody go to 49* N? I'm seeing they've gotten 17" in the past 48 hours and it looks like it is nuking on top. Enquiring minds really want to know.

It currently sucks to be stuck in S. Idaho working. I want to be home, at least for this week.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Anybody go to 49* N? I'm seeing they've gotten 17" in the past 48 hours and it looks like it is nuking on top. Enquiring minds really want to know.

It currently sucks to be stuck in S. Idaho working. I want to be home, at least for this week.
Looking good for our trip in Feb./Mar. Maybe you'll be home by then.

Skeeze

Booting up
Skier
Nope. I am back up Friday. Heard it was tough visibility today.

At one point I could only find the base of the Lakeview Chair by following the music playing from the lift shack. Probably the worst fog I’ve ever skied in, obviously made more challenging by it being my first day there.

I did find better visibility though in the Whiplash area, and I may have been the only person all morning making the 30 second traverse back toward Misfortune—nice little pillows and cliffs there with at least 6 inches of creamy snow.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
At one point I could only find the base of the Lakeview Chair by following the music playing from the lift shack. Probably the worst fog I’ve ever skied in, obviously made more challenging by it being my first day there.

I did find better visibility though in the Whiplash area, and I may have been the only person all morning making the 30 second traverse back toward Misfortune—nice little pillows and cliffs there with at least 6 inches of creamy snow.

Usually when it is foggy we head to the back as it is normally better + more tree skiing so easier get down the mountain in the fog.

I see they are getting dumped on today - which is good - they need more snow and a good base. Will be up there for 10 days over the holidays.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Aaaah Fog at Schweitzer.

Ski/snow report for Wed 12/19. 1-2 inches of overnight on top of about 10 inches of slighly set up and pretty hammered powder. Found good powder under 4, skiers left in the trees off Northstar. South of border was fun pretty clean pillows everywhere, snow was slightly set up and wind blown. Groomed run were bad except of portions of silver belt and sunrise. On my lst run of day down to chair 2 I hit a pretty good hole in the grooming just before the bottom got thrown off balance and fell. Really didn't expect triangle sized hole in the middle of a groomed run but I should know better. No crowds. OK day

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ski/Snow at Silver Friday 12/21. Best snow of the year. Small grapple ball dry 7 inches over soft base. Skied 4 straight hours until my legs gave out. Wardner opened and was good. South was very good. A few of the "normal" powder stashes still have some stick ups but all in all was a really good day. Stood in lst lift line and probably had 4or 5 people in front of me. Lodge was pretty full though.

Comba, looked for you and missed Teledancer etc. but had a fun day.

Coomba

Booting up
Skier
Ski/Snow at Silver Friday 12/21. Best snow of the year. Small grapple ball dry 7 inches over soft base. Skied 4 straight hours until my legs gave out. Wardner opened and was good. South was very good. A few of the "normal" powder stashes still have some stick ups but all in all was a really good day. Stood in lst lift line and probably had 4or 5 people in front of me. Lodge was pretty full though.

Comba, looked for you and missed Teledancer etc. but had a fun day.
Oh man, knew I missed a good day when I got up and looked at the report. Had other obligations but am looking forward to heading up sometime after Christmas.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great snow at Schweitzer today. Great sunny day yesterday and 3-5 fresh today and still falling. Fog was limited to the top but not bad at all. Should get a few more inches tonight. Filling in the mountain nicely - still need more - but great day today. Took the Bonafide out for the first time this year and they were the perfect ski!

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Haven't skied Schweitzer in a couple years. The 2hr 40min drive from Saint Maries to be met with total Fog sucks. Like to make it this year. Fri was a really good powder day at Silver.,

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Lookout Fri and was a nice day. Had to stand in about a 2 min lift line a couple times but snow was good. Off piste powder was hammered and still skied pretty good. Lodge was very crowded.

Skiing Silver on Sunday will report. Anyone at Silver tommorrow I will be in Med blue northface jacket.;

Posaune

sliding
Skier
We have plans to visit 49 on Sunday, Silver on Tuesday, and Lookout on Wednesday of next week (the 6th, 8th and 9th). If any locals are around those days maybe we could meet up for a few turns.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Would if I could Pete, but can't so I won't. But if your going to be in Sun Valley the 2nd ..............

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
We have plans to visit 49 on Sunday, Silver on Tuesday, and Lookout on Wednesday of next week (the 6th, 8th and 9th). If any locals are around those days maybe we could meet up for a few turns.

Might be able to meet you at Silver or Lookout. Will pm you my phone number.

Would if I could Pete, but can't so I won't. But if your going to be in Sun Valley the 2nd ..............

Have a good time at SV.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Silver Sun (yesterday). Web site reported 9 inches but it was more like 3". Really windblown ands affected almost whole mt. The best snow (my humble opinion) was Bootlegger and Moonshine. Wardner was prettyy wind blownb on top, lower Gold was good. Prospector wind blown. TE trees was really pretty poor due to the wind coming up the hill. Most of heavy wind was on Sat and Sat night. Disappointing.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Lookout 1/2 Wed (yesterday) Skied good, groomers were excellent and off piste was bumpy, pretty skied out but had about 1-2 in on it and snow was good. Smallish holiday crowd, no lift lines, partial sun, no fog. Good day.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
are the constant wet fronts we are getting on our coast reaching you?
I rarely road trip before late Jan but never too early to start thinking about a direction.

north of the border the coastal rain shadow has been very noticeable.
In the southern Okanogan Apex is still not 100%, Again showed dry for last 2 days. Locally Whistler got over a meter in same period

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
are the constant wet fronts we are getting on our coast reaching you?
I rarely road trip before late Jan but never too early to start thinking about a direction.

north of the border the coastal rain shadow has been very noticeable.
In the southern Okanogan Apex is still not 100%, Again showed dry for last 2 days. Locally Whistler got over a meter in same period

Yes and no. Coverage is adequate for groomers at Lookout and Silver. Off piste is still not good but ok if you know where to go and where not to go. Personally I would not plan a road trip to here, not yet.

Sponsor

Staff online