• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Enough people are starting to show up on here perhaps a meetup someplace would be in order.

If we ever get some snow!

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did the 49*, Whitewater, Red trip last year and really enjoyed it. I'm planning on doing a repeat this year only leaving out Whitewater and adding Mt.Spokane and possibly Silver. Pete, I sure would like to take you up on your offer to be a tour guide to Silver. BB has volunteered to show me Mt Spokane, if he's in town. Here's hoping for snow soon, I'm getting really antsy.

Last edited:
TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
As I mentioned in the thread I started earlier, I'm planning on skiing 49, Silver, Lookout, Schweitzer, Whitefish, Discovery, Snowbowl, and Bridger in January. The itinerary may be adjusted a bit due to conditions, but I hope I can call on the locals to inform us of the best stuff when we're there. Great thread!

I will be here, depending on snow amount/quality may go to BC and have trip to Northern Lights via. Fairbanks sometime in Jan.

I did the 49*, Whitewater, Red trip last year and really enjoyed it. I'm planning on doing a repeat this year only leading out Whitewater and adding Mt.Spokane and possibly Slver. Pete, I sure would like to take you up on your offer to be a tour guide to Silver. BB has volunteered to show me Mt Spokane, if he's in town. Here's hoping for snow soon, I'm getting really antsy.

Be glad to ski with you. If we have the snow Silver can be really good. My avatar pic. was taken at silver, a really good day and you probably wouldn't find this area without a local leadingl Looking forward to the winter.

snowghost

spknmike
Skier
Schweitzer made enough snow to open their WROD this Friday and start spinning chairs for the season.

Imagine if Lookout had a couple snow guns, they could of been going for a few weeks now!

Also new run at Silver cut between Sunset and Eureka!

Last edited:
TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone going skiing this weekend. It is Thur 1100 am, just looked at webcams Lookout And Silver and no new snow, nothing on the trees. Lookout says maybe Sat or Sun and Silver says Sat. If anyone goes give us a report, take your rock skis. Think I will pass unless it really dumps.

HAPPY Thanksgiving everyone. Hope to meet and ski with new folks this year. Great time of the Year !!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I will be here, depending on snow amount/quality may go to BC and have trip to Northern Lights via. Fairbanks sometime in Jan.

If you or anyone else is coming to B.C., you might want to keep an eye on conditions at Sun Peaks. Early season SP can have 30-50cm less base than other resorts in the region but with better coverage at SP. There is currently 78cm base at the top of the mountain and 58cm 2/3 the way up the mountain.

SP has had race training happening for the past 2 weeks on man made snow and has been open to the public since Nov.17. on mostly natural snow. SP is way ahead of other resorts right now (thanks in a large part to a ton of summer grooming over the years and some snow making). After getting a couple of inches in the past 24 hours, conditions have really perked up on Spillway to the 5 Mile to Elevation chair (about 2000' vertical). While Spillway and a few other runs are in very good shape many of the other 20 or so open runs are a bit sketchy or just hard work with no base.

There is natural snow on the ground in the SP village but skiing to the village is on man made snow with fresh natural snow on top so it is decent turns all the way to the bottom.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
BadBob a meet up would be great when the snow falls we should do it.

Will let you know when I get back to the neighborhood from my current project. Think it could be fun to show off our different hills like one every couple of weeks after snow starts flying.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you or anyone else is coming to B.C., you might want to keep an eye on conditions at Sun Peaks. Early season SP can have 30-50cm less base than other resorts in the region but with better coverage at SP. There is currently 78cm base at the top of the mountain and 58cm 2/3 the way up the mountain.

Thanks for the info Dano, never been there - yet.

There is natural snow on the ground in the SP village but skiing to the village is on man made snow with fresh natural snow on top so it is decent turns all the way to the bottom.

Will let you know when I get back to the neighborhood from my current project. Think it could be fun to show off our different hills like one every couple of weeks after snow starts flying.

Good idea, lets see if we can do that.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Shamora and I will be on a mini-trip for New Years, Silver Mt on 12/29 and Schweitzer 12/30 & 12/31. If anyone is available to meet up, let me know.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone go this weekend? I didn't go for various reasons. Lookout and Silver both opened but both closed till Fri. will probably go Friday. Will look at webcams etc. to decide where. Anyone been up let me know.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
I did the 49*, Whitewater, Red trip last year and really enjoyed it. I'm planning on doing a repeat this year only leaving out Whitewater and adding Mt.Spokane and possibly Slver. y.

Any particular reason to leave whitewater out? I'm looking to do similar trip, throwing in schweitzer, but not sure to do a day at whitewater or 49.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any particular reason to leave whitewater out? I'm looking to do similar trip, throwing in schweitzer, but not sure to do a day at whitewater or 49.
Whitewater was a fun place and definitely worth the two days I skied there. This year I want to spend more time at Red as it it is a much bigger mountain. In my two days there, I barely scratched the surface. I also want to do Mount Spokane and Silver because I have never been to either.

snowghost

spknmike
Skier
Anyone go this weekend? I didn't go for various reasons. Lookout and Silver both opened but both closed till Fri. will probably go Friday. Will look at webcams etc. to decide where. Anyone been up let me know.

Silver was decent, coverage was pretty good in comparison to last year's opening weekend. Looked like some of the coasters even skied SOB to the traverse..

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whitewater is great, awesome tree skiing, great powder. Whitewater is a lot higher than Red and usually has really good powder. Also great food.

Silver was decent, coverage was pretty good in comparison to last year's opening weekend. Looked like some of the coasters even skied SOB to the traverse..

Mike, so do you think by FRI a little better, have to make decision Silver or Lookout friday for my lst dayl

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier

Whitewater is great, a lot higher than Red and is known for its powder, I would say unless something really weird happens Whitewater will have better powder than 49. Good tree skiing and good food too.

Have to make decision between Lookout and Silver for Fri, my lst day. Thanks

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier

49* North is my home hill. Given the choice it would be Whitewater in a heartbeat. Way better snow due to altitude and more step terrain. Nelson is a very cool little town to go with it. 49* North has low angle trees that are pretty much off the chart (if that is what you are looking for), inexpensive, and not crowded. Whitewater is very much like Alta from long ago.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lookout report. Skied Lookout Yesterday - Fri conditions I would rate as ok, chair 1 only. Visibility was poor, Montana fog in an out all day. Had half of some runs in clear conditions and then into the fog Snow was adequate on 1, very little dirt showing and few hazards on the runs. Usually early season there are rollers (rocks) on chairs 1's approach. There were NO rollers Fri.

Didn't ski off piste, snow is thin and where the snow is ok it was Mank, something I don't enjoy at all. Believe it or not I saw two people skiing Lucky Friday and personally think they were really stupid doing this.

I went down Hoot Owl which was still "stick up " laden. Pretended I was running slalom gates and was fun. Had my rock skis on.

Summary, groomed runs were hard snow machine groomed but with the visibility probems it was a challenge. Looked at web cam today (SAT) and visibility looked worse.

The website said chair 2 would open but it didn't. Talked to head man fors grooming and he said there is just not enough snow on the lower part of 2.

Sponsor

Staff online