Pacific NW/AK/BC 2018/19 Inland PNW (Wa.- No.Idaho -No Mt.)

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by Pete in Idaho, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Sibhusky

Sibhusky Making fresh tracks Skier

No more Hellroaring Basin this season. Normally it closes for the bears in April.

"Closures: Hellroaring Basin and Chair 8 will be closed for the remainder of the season due to the potential for wet slab avalanches and the imminent opening of grizzly habitat. All of East Rim, Evan's Heaven, Moose, Lee's Way, Lodi Peak hike-to, Haskill Slide, Movie Land, Cal's Country, and Over the Hill Gang are closed today due to the potential for wet slide avalanches. Please respect all trail closures."

I haven't emptied my locker yet, but skipped today as it's the weekend and it just doesn't seem worth it trying to find the right run that will be perfect between 10:20 and 10:23. When I was there Friday, things still hadn't gotten past the grabby phase to the corn snow stage. Fluoro didn't seem to achieve much. I think it was all scraped off after the second run. (Yeah, don't tell me structure, my structure is always great.)

2. New2

New2 Getting off the lift Skier

Bad Bob likes this.
  3. Sibhusky

Updating my report, we've finally changed over to corn snow, thank goodness. Large brown patches are appearing on the lower south-facing slopes, though. The backside is still nice. Some avalanche closures have been relaxed, but all of East Rim and Hellroaring Basin and Haskill Slide are still closed.

4. Bad Bob

Bad Bob old n' slow Skier

Home with 'Children of the Sun' in the PNW
  5. Thread Starter
    TS
    Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho Out on the slopes Skier

Skied Lookout yesterday (Sun) and was excellent spring skiing. Took 2 pairs of skis and rode my groomer skis in am and switched to my new Elan Ripstick 96 skis when it started to soften they were really great.

Coomba likes this.

6. Sibhusky

You're the third person I know with those skis, heard good things.

7. DanoT

DanoT RVer-Skier Skier

Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
    At Elevation Ski & Bike at Sun Peaks, the Elan Ripsticks have become quite popular among skiers looking for a light and lively ski (as opposed to a damp ski).

8. Sibhusky

Thanks for the warning.

9. Bad Bob

Hit Silver Mt today. Weather was fog to blowing falling snow. It was good in a funky PNW way once the crust softened kind of cream cheese snow. My last day for the season.

Tomorrow could be friggin' GREAT! Temps are dropping and they are expecting 7-8" overnight. Get it if you can.

Posaune likes this.
  10. Coomba

Coomba Booting up Skier

[​IMG]

Finished my 2018-2019 season yesterday at Silver. Great spring skiing with good coverage. They didn't operate chair four, but I went over that way and skied Bootlegger. I need these spring skiing days to let me know the season is over and it's time to go fishing, biking, gardening, golfing etc. I reached a high water mark this season of 33 days, that might not sound like much to you folks that live close to an area for me it's two hours one way. Pretty good snow year especially February. See you all next season.

Bad Bob and Posaune like this.
  11. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator Team Gathermeister

33 is a lot to me... my high (in 2017/18) is 25 days!

Coomba and Bad Bob like this.
  12. Bad Bob

Lots of us are in that kind of number, including me, it is just okay. More can be better, but it is the doing that counts.

There is always hope for more next year.

Coomba likes this.
  13. JHust

JHust Booting up Skier

Coomba, David Chaus, Posaune and 3 others like this.
  14. Bad Bob

This just showed up in my inbox this morning. Very cool deal! As a senior, $350 gets you season pass for 49* North AND Silver Mountain. This looks like my route for next season.

FMfcgxwCgLvrvtMBsNZSShlbkqdNKnNz

Coomba, New2 and Posaune like this.
  15. New2

New2 Getting off the lift Skier

Silver Mountain's open again Sunday, May 5, with free lift tickets. I'm somewhat tempted, but probably gonna stay in town and work on the yard. But I was up north of Mt. Spokane this afternoon and, from a few miles distance at least, the coverage on the north-facing runs still looks good. With the extra elevation, maybe Silver's north-facing terrain is holding up even better.