• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Spooky and I had some good runs today. Classic AZ Snowbowl 7" pow day.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
wow, this would suck. 180 people lift evac'd at Pajarito on opening day.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018...ln9a8zv4SbVT4tggjzuUiuog-glFYohFJolKZkZRAxtOg

Yeah, Aspen went down hard on opening day right after Christmas.

But it happened again last week. It was after the 36'' dump that we got on New Year's Day. It was enough to get the Townsight area open, and it was the first opening of the year for the Townsight lift last Thursday. It was open for a only a few minutes, and then it started running in reverse according to a couple people I've spoken with. I was planning on being up there that day, but my local daycare closed due to the snow so I was at home with the kiddos.

So Aspen and Townsight lifts both down for the season. Only Mother and Spruce lifts are working, which is oddly funny since they are both two seater riblets that are ridiculously old.

Mr. Coleman, if you are listening, we don't need new snow-making gear to get open by Thanksgiving for a purely local crowd that you won't make much money on. We need new/updated lifts.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier

But it happened again last week. It was after the 36'' dump that we got on New Year's Day. It was enough to get the Townsight area open, and it was the first opening of the year for the Townsight lift last Thursday. It was open for a only a few minutes, and then it started running in reverse according to a couple people I've spoken with. I was planning on being up there that day, but my local daycare closed due to the snow so I was at home with the kiddos.

So Aspen and Townsight lifts both down for the season. Only Mother and Spruce lifts are working, which is oddly funny since they are both two seater riblets that are ridiculously old.

Mr. Coleman, if you are listening, we don't need new snow-making gear to get open by Thanksgiving for a purely local crowd that you won't make much money on. We need new/updated lifts.

Ouch! That's something like 30% of Pajarito's terrain that won't be lift-served this season! Are they able to at least run shuttles from the bottom of Townsight so that terrain can stay open?

Any idea whether infrastructure is Coleman's or the ski club's responsibility? I can't imagine that either entity budgeted for replacing/rebuilding those two lifts this soon. But I'm sure having them down will make it that much harder to get the ticket sales needed to cover their cost.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Is the Aspen lift definitely donefor this season? No repair underway? I wanted to finally get to Pajarito this year, this is the year it finally snows. Short Sike up from top area of mother lift, maybe 150 feet vertical.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Hesperus needs a new lift and AZ Snowbowl needs Agassiz lift replaced. Elk Ridge isn't opening this year due to a management decision even though Coleman just bought it. I was hopeful they would stick an old lift up there.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last year my daughter and I tried to ski Hesperus on our way into Durango. We hung out in the parking lot for around three hours waiting for them to open but once it was time the lift wouldn’t run.

I can’t imagine trying to run a ski area at elk ridge. Especially without snowmaking. That would be financial suicide.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last year my daughter and I tried to ski Hesperus on our way into Durango. We hung out in the parking lot for around three hours waiting for them to open but once it was time the lift wouldn’t run.

I can’t imagine trying to run a ski area at elk ridge. Especially without snowmaking. That would be financial suicide.

I lucked out and got ski Hesperus on one of the few nights they were able to open last season. I bought a pretzel and a soda from the snack bar just so I could give them some money. I hope they are on the list to get some love from the Coleman money train.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I lucked out and got ski Hesperus on one of the few nights they were able to open last season. I bought a pretzel and a soda from the snack bar just so I could give them some money. I hope they are on the list to get some love from the Coleman money train.

I thought it was one of the coolest and funkiest little ski areas I’ve ever seen. The terrain looked fun as hell too, it would be rad to be there skiing under the lights when it’s dumping and there’s pow.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
Ouch! That's something like 30% of Pajarito's terrain that won't be lift-served this season! Are they able to at least run shuttles from the bottom of Townsight so that terrain can stay open?

Any idea whether infrastructure is Coleman's or the ski club's responsibility? I can't imagine that either entity budgeted for replacing/rebuilding those two lifts this soon. But I'm sure having them down will make it that much harder to get the ticket sales needed to cover their cost.
The ski club officially voted to sell the resort to him last year, so he owns the land, lifts, etc,etc, and not just the managing contract anymore. I think it would be on him at this point.

The hike to the top of Aspen is short and easy, but is a pain. Townsight area is closed, and the patrollers I spoke to said it would not be available even as hike-back terrain.

I hiked it this morning before work, and Townsight is in absolute primo condition right now, so it is a shame.

Townsight is down for the season, for sure according to people I have spoken with. Aspen is down for the “foreseeable future”, which I interpret to mean through the heart of the season at best.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
Is the Aspen lift definitely donefor this season? No repair underway? I wanted to finally get to Pajarito this year, this is the year it finally snows. Short Sike up from top area of mother lift, maybe 150 feet vertical.
I think so. Townsight is definitely done,and Aspen is down for the “foreseeable future”. But as you say, the hike to Aspen is not so bad.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thought it was one of the coolest and funkiest little ski areas I’ve ever seen. The terrain looked fun as hell too, it would be rad to be there skiing under the lights when it’s dumping and there’s pow.

Yeah, I agree with that assessment. I loved the vibe there and the terrain is very fun. I'd ski there every night if I was a Durango local.

IMG_4871.JPG

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks dope af core.

I’d love to get footage of people shredding pow under the lights. Editing that footage would be so much fun.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks dope af core.

I’d love to get footage of people shredding pow under the lights. Editing that footage would be so much fun.

It would be a sick place to film or do photography. Only vid I grabbed:

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
The wife and I are heading up to Purgatory at the end of the week and were hoping for a quick heads up on where to find the runs we prefer, which are steeps, bumps and trees. Looking at the trail map, it looks like the Legends Express may be our best bet, but maps don;t always tell the full story. It is meant to snow every day this week, so conditions should be decent. Unfortunately we will be there on the weekend, so presume it would be busy.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The wife and I are heading up to Purgatory at the end of the week and were hoping for a quick heads up on where to find the runs we prefer, which are steeps, bumps and trees. Looking at the trail map, it looks like the Legends Express may be our best bet, but maps don;t always tell the full story. It is meant to snow every day this week, so conditions should be decent. Unfortunately we will be there on the weekend, so presume it would be busy.

Yes, Legends is your best bet and the Texans don't make it that far over. Next best option is lapping the six pack chair. I pretty much don't ride the other chairs there, those two gets you to all the steepest stuff.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Also, check out Hesperus if you can. They fired up the night skiing a couple days ago and they usually run that on weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online