• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
The tourist trade in Flagstaff is predominantly summer seasonal with the hotels full of Grand Canyon visitors and the residential areas brimming with retirees escaping the valley heat.

In reality, Flagstaff does not rely on winter tousirm at all.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for that link Slide of Hans. Seeing this industry adapt (or not I guess) is really interesting to me.

The affects of climate change and the predictions of those affects on the ski industry seem to be already happening. I bet Ruidoso will be one of the first semi-major ski areas to close in the next ten or so years if the climate science is right.

We’ve had a lot of those inversions here the last few years as well. People in town are like “why hasn’t Snowbowl been blowing snow, it’s been super cold at night?” But in reality it’s too warm up high.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
9 inches at Ski Santa Fe with11 more expected tonight. (14 at Pajarito which opens for the season on Saturday.) We made it up before the hordes and had a great morning. By the drive down the road show was in full fuster cluck. Early day again tomorrow. 20181227_141757.jpg

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nuking in Ruidoso and Ski Apache. I’m about to ski the hill in our backyard at 7000’. Hopefully the tribe gets in gear and gets the mountain opened up. Snowfall rate is around 3” an hour right now.
23C58FBA-AAC9-47D3-AA0B-00CE62F7AD38.jpeg

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dang! A big score for the Core!

We only got around 7 at the bowl, it wasn’t bad but man was it cold this morning!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley is open! I was hoping to ski there but am out with a knee injury. GRRRR! They show 20" out of the last storms. I'd drive down from Reno tonight (and tomorrow morning) just to say I've skied at the southern most continental ski area!

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley is open! I was hoping to ski there but am out with a knee injury. GRRRR! They show 20" out of the last storms. I'd drive down from Reno tonight (and tomorrow morning) just to say I've skied at the southern most continental ski area!

If I didn't just get back from NM I'd be there today. Hopefully I'll get to check it off my list this season. Great start for them.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And it was COLD. There was good powder so a lot of folks were going for early chairs. For some reason the first people on were last to be rappelled down. By the time they did the mountain was tracked out. Argh.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are in Winter Park skiing hard pack while our home mountain got 14 inches just today. And Wolf Creek reports 32 inches today. Wow.

We feel totally responsible for the epic pow since we pre planned this trip. You are welcome!

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
wow, this would suck. 180 people lift evac'd at Pajarito on opening day.

It's OK, the news said the customers were "compensated" with a hot chocolate!

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are in Winter Park skiing hard pack while our home mountain got 14 inches just today. And Wolf Creek reports 32 inches today. Wow.

We feel totally responsible for the epic pow since we pre planned this trip. You are welcome!
Thanks. This is what you missed at SF on 1/1/19 (well, if you had been doing avy mitigation on patrol, but still...) ogwink
22F3F95E-5665-4E41-8067-DD2EFFBCFD5C.jpeg EB347307-8B3F-4C9D-8478-9DD9D1A7F558.jpeg

Pictures are of me, working before the place opened. /brag

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
Anybody been to Sunrise yet? What is working and what is still broken?
I went today.

Sunrise Express - Open
Pony - Open
Spirit Ridge - Open
Rustler - Closed
Geronimo - Open
Eagle Feather - Closed (has been for decades?)
Fort Apache - Open
Cyclone - Closed (cable removed, chairs no where in sight)
Summit Lodge - Closed
Apache Peak Lodge - Closed (looks long abandoned?)
Cyclone Lodge - Open
Mid Mountain Lodge - Open?

What a place. No shortage of snow, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.