• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
^^^ There was lots of sneaking powder today, after all the main run was skied out within thirty minutes, if that, and we all had a taste for it. I saw a lot of tracks coming down Lower Volcano. I don't think people were ducking the ropes off the Catwalk, but were traversing up from the cut off. I have to admit to heading down Upper Gully a few times. I was just following the weed whackers tracks :) It was great, but like you said, could use another layer.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
2BBC141B-5535-4EDE-A5DC-094626DF702E.jpeg A75C774F-7349-4A28-8D56-941A40B7CF17.jpeg I got in two laps on Volcano before it saw much action and it was good. Then it got crowded and I was bored so I got weird and made a bunch of squiggles. This isn’t my sort of thing but it was something to do. I’m not a big fan of skiing on a crowded run with 6 million people.

I agree, we need one or two more storms to get things into shape. Local meteorologists are optimistic about a big pattern shit around the 11th. Talk is of an “atmospheric river” event. Keep your fingers crossed!

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got in two laps on Volcano before it saw much action and it was good. Then it got crowded and I was bored so I got weird and made a bunch of squiggles. This isn’t my sort of thing but it was something to do. I’m not a big fan of skiing on a crowded run with 6 million people.

I agree, we need one or two more storms to get things into shape. Local meteorologists are optimistic about a big pattern shit around the 11th. Talk is of an “atmospheric river” event. Keep your fingers crossed!

You really made those squiggles? That was cool af to see!

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Great day up at AZ Snowbowl. It looks like it did at the end of January last season. Someone pulled down the rope on Ridge side and about 50 people went down it before patrol got the rope back up, me and my buddy included. It was decent but needs one more good storm to be opened. Good start to the season for sure.

View attachment 59760

I was up there today too! Glorious weather. I did not do a sneak run as you mention above. I noticed too, that people were ducking the ropes. Stayed until four!! Had my granddaughter on Hart Prairie in a full-day snowboard lesson so lapped many times over there just spying and enjoying the less-crowded slope.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
36F13BF7-7ED3-4B9B-885F-5014DAC899BD.jpeg The low, early December light and cold fresh snow sure is pretty.

My friend Nancy helped me install another six tracks on our turning art on the “Road Side Attraction”.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
It was pretty busy up at Snowbowl today. I think a lot of folks came out teased by the recent storms. I got lots of early laps in before it got too busy for me. You could ski on the Hart Prarie, but Humphries and the Grand Canyon had about 15-20 min waits. I guess not too bad. Agassiz is not open yet. I thought they might have it running with the recent snowfall but overheard it is broken and they are waiting on a part? Humphries also opened about 45 min late due to technical issues.

Leaving at about 11:30, there were about 100 people in line for lift tickets and the lots were full, with people double parking on the access road. I'm glad to get there early before the crowds get too big. they have done a great job opening new terrain and providing decent coverage on the groomers for us.

The image is the lift ticket line!

IMG_5032.JPG

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Boy, do you have tenacity to go up on a Saturday.!! I was watching the webcams today and it was insane there. Glad you got in some turns before the zoo began in earnest.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Boy, do you have tenacity to go up on a Saturday.!! I was watching the webcams today and it was insane there. Glad you got in some turns before the zoo began in earnest.

Not by choice! I work Monday through Friday in the valley, so weekends are all I have.To make the most of it, I get there early and try to get in as many runs as I can before it gets too crazy. I do like the off piste terrain, like groomers and bumps, so that is a good way to hide from the crowds as well.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
With the GCE you can get in a bunch of runs in during the first two hours before things get too crowded. That lift has been such a game changer for season pass holders. I was almost done skiing at the Bowl years ago unless there was fresh snow because I couldn’t justify sitting on the Ag chair anymore.

I guess that part for the Ag chair is being flown from Switzerland. It should be here in a week. I think it was a tough decision for management to invest more into that old thing. Talk is that a new lift, the chondola is definitely going in next summer. I’m stoked for that. To be honest, I’d be fine if they didn’t run the Ag chair all season. I’d be fine with the upper mountain being hike to terrain for a year.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The lot was pretty full on Friday even. Snowbowl used to rarely get busy on any mid week days. Beer prices have gone up to $9.50. All powder is skied out within 2 hours but you can get 5-10 runs in 2 hours even on the busiest days. It is a totally different mountain than it was three years ago, for better and worse I guess.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
It is a totally different mountain than it was three years ago, for better and worse I guess.

I have to agree with that. Despite the new and much-needed improvements, I am not in love with a six-seater high-speed lift. Too many people at once fighting for limited real estate. Yes, it's best before 10:30 when you CAN indeed lap about 8 times. Does anyone know the progress on that new dining hall at Sunset lift?

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Might head up to Snowbowl when I'm visiting family in Phoenix this winter. What's the story on the Agassiz lift? It's super slow? Looking at the trail map that seems to access some of the most interesting terrain. How are the North Rim Glades off GCE? I've also heard that the Upper Bowl is basically never open, true?

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
The infamous Agassiz lift is indeed slow. However it does take you to the top where there can often be adventures for those willing to seek them out. Hiking is an option from there.

To me, the Agassiz is special . Despite the long ride, the left is iconic to us "locals" and worth the ride. The new Grand Canyon highspeed takes a rider about two-thirds or less to the top of Ridge. If people are not interested in accessing the runs from the very top, this lift serves them well and pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor