Arizona/New Mexico 2018-19 Four Corners Weather, Conditions & Stoke

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by Core2, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Slide of Hans

Slide of Hans Putting on skis Skier

2. New2

New2 Getting off the lift Skier

Love it!
    That sequence you end with, skiing that smooth surface under the sun & blue sky... it was hard to tell what the snow surface was like without seeing your tracks. What would you call it?

raisingarizona likes this.
  3. raisingarizona

raisingarizona Getting off the lift Skier

It was silky powder just not deep and it bonded well with the old snow surface.i prefer that to the super deep blower to be honest.

New2 likes this.
  4. Dryheat

Dryheat Putting on skis Skier

Likely heading up in the morning. it seems the lifts aren't spinning until 10am. Extra hour of sleep down in the valley.

5. Jerez

Jerez Out on the slopes Skier

Skied a sneaky powder day yesterday at SF and one of the lifties was trying -- without success -- to give away a free lift ticket to Taos for today. I wonder if that says something about NM locals and the new Taos "different"...

6. raisingarizona

What’s going on at Taos?

Most people don’t do change very well.

7. Thread Starter
    TS
    Core2

Core2 Out on the slopes Skier

patrol guys at AZSB told me that Taos basically had a full communication breakdown when they had the slide earlier this year. They didn't have a practiced avalanche plan in place is what was said. Doesn't sound good...

8. raisingarizona

From everything I’ve heard it sounded like the search and rescue by patrol was done extremely professionally and efficiently.

9. Jerez

Yep that's it.

The vibe is changing. More resort like, bigger and different crowd too. Used to be New Mexicans, Texans and adopted locals...folks who came year after year and families.

I am not complaining; overall I think Bacon has been good for the place and necessary financially. But it is nice to still have a locals mountain... uncrowded save for two weeks a season.

Taos is bigger but also has a lot more people now so less worth the extra 1.5 hours of driving beyond Santa Fe.

10. Slide of Hans

raisingarizona and KingGrump like this.
  11. Thread Starter
    TS
    Core2

yeah was just hearsay on the lift. I don't know what really went down.

12. raisingarizona

The vibe at Snowbowl has changed as well but so have the liftlines. The new lifts have really made lines nonexistent. Attractive improvements are expensive so if you want some nice things your ski area needs to make some money. It’s a business after all, not our personal locals only playground.

From your link it sounds like Taos was in desperate need of some big changes.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  13. Jerez

Agree. (although desperate may bee a wee bit of hyperbole) I think there is room for and a market for both kinds of places.

I am happy not to have high speed six packs and quads at my local resort. Except for a couple of tourist weeks a season, I can almost always ski right on the lift, even on powder days.

It is still family owned and operated and while I'm sure the family would like to generate more cash so they aren't operating at a loss on low snow years, it manages to stay open and even thrive. They are community minded too, in that they support a robust adaptive program that is free to students who otherwise couldn't afford it. We attract amazing adaptive skiers from all over the country (and world for that matter) who are fun to watch.

The "other Colorado" thread's report on places like Sunlight, Cooper, and Hesperus shows these places can make it. In between, there are places like Loveland, Monarch and Wolf Creek. I hope the push for more profit doesn't eliminate these gems from our ski landscape. Their accessibility to families and average folks is how new skiers are birthed.

14. Slide of Hans

I just did a trip out to CO and finally visited Loveland, and Cooper, and swung down to Monarch , and up to A-basin both of which I visited a few times before. I just like to pull up to the lot and walk to the lift without the big resort BS.

I don't think Taos is at the big resort level yet, but last I was there was 2 seasons ago when the condotel was going up. It seemed to fit in to the bsse well.

If it snows in the SW next year, I'm putting Taos on the short list or might go with Snowbowl. And Coopers mini-expansion looks like fun terrain.

15. Thread Starter
    TS
    Core2