• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Love it!
That sequence you end with, skiing that smooth surface under the sun & blue sky... it was hard to tell what the snow surface was like without seeing your tracks. What would you call it?

It was silky powder just not deep and it bonded well with the old snow surface.i prefer that to the super deep blower to be honest.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Likely heading up in the morning. it seems the lifts aren't spinning until 10am. Extra hour of sleep down in the valley.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied a sneaky powder day yesterday at SF and one of the lifties was trying -- without success -- to give away a free lift ticket to Taos for today. I wonder if that says something about NM locals and the new Taos "different"...

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied a sneaky powder day yesterday at SF and one of the lifties was trying -- without success -- to give away a free lift ticket to Taos for today. I wonder if that says something about NM locals and the new Taos "different"...

What’s going on at Taos?

Most people don’t do change very well.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
patrol guys at AZSB told me that Taos basically had a full communication breakdown when they had the slide earlier this year. They didn't have a practiced avalanche plan in place is what was said. Doesn't sound good...

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
patrol guys at AZSB told me that Taos basically had a full communication breakdown when they had the slide earlier this year. They didn't have a practiced avalanche plan in place is what was said. Doesn't sound good...

From everything I’ve heard it sounded like the search and rescue by patrol was done extremely professionally and efficiently.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What’s going on at Taos?

Most people don’t do change very well.

Yep that's it.

The vibe is changing. More resort like, bigger and different crowd too. Used to be New Mexicans, Texans and adopted locals...folks who came year after year and families.

I am not complaining; overall I think Bacon has been good for the place and necessary financially. But it is nice to still have a locals mountain... uncrowded save for two weeks a season.

Taos is bigger but also has a lot more people now so less worth the extra 1.5 hours of driving beyond Santa Fe.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, it had to change a bit to be competitive given what the CO resorts have. Putting the lift up kachina was key and a HSQ out of the base was necessary.

Heres a recent article about the changes at Taos,. Essentially, visit numbers declined by almost 50 percent unitil mr. bacon purchased it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/...t-few-skiers-can-a-new-owner-change-that.html

The vibe at Snowbowl has changed as well but so have the liftlines. The new lifts have really made lines nonexistent. Attractive improvements are expensive so if you want some nice things your ski area needs to make some money. It’s a business after all, not our personal locals only playground.

From your link it sounds like Taos was in desperate need of some big changes.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree. (although desperate may bee a wee bit of hyperbole) I think there is room for and a market for both kinds of places.

I am happy not to have high speed six packs and quads at my local resort. Except for a couple of tourist weeks a season, I can almost always ski right on the lift, even on powder days.

It is still family owned and operated and while I'm sure the family would like to generate more cash so they aren't operating at a loss on low snow years, it manages to stay open and even thrive. They are community minded too, in that they support a robust adaptive program that is free to students who otherwise couldn't afford it. We attract amazing adaptive skiers from all over the country (and world for that matter) who are fun to watch.

The "other Colorado" thread's report on places like Sunlight, Cooper, and Hesperus shows these places can make it. In between, there are places like Loveland, Monarch and Wolf Creek. I hope the push for more profit doesn't eliminate these gems from our ski landscape. Their accessibility to families and average folks is how new skiers are birthed.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Agree.

The "other Colorado" thread's report on places like Sunlight, Cooper, and Hesperus shows these places can make it. In between, there are places like Loveland, Monarch and Wolf Creek. I hope the push for more profit doesn't eliminate these gems from our ski landscape. Their accessibility to families and average folks is how new skiers are birthed.

I just did a trip out to CO and finally visited Loveland, and Cooper, and swung down to Monarch , and up to A-basin both of which I visited a few times before. I just like to pull up to the lot and walk to the lift without the big resort BS.

I don't think Taos is at the big resort level yet, but last I was there was 2 seasons ago when the condotel was going up. It seemed to fit in to the bsse well.

If it snows in the SW next year, I'm putting Taos on the short list or might go with Snowbowl. And Coopers mini-expansion looks like fun terrain.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do you think it will hold up another week? I am so hesitant to go up again, but if you really have decent snow to ski....................

Yeah, it should be fine for another weekend. It was pretty sticky below the bottom Agassiz terminal but the upper mountain was skiing nicely.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Did you guys see the email from AZ Snowbowl?

After receiving a visit from Mother Nature yesterday, we're kicking off May with a major announcement: we're adding May 11-12 and 18-19 to our operating schedule, making this season the longest in history! No closing date has been announced - stay posted to our Snow Report for updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online