• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018-19 Demo List: Chill tree skis

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Thanks Ken, I am will drop the 99 and check out the 93 instead.

I am not going to be skiing deep pow in tight trees with the kids. We rarely get deep pow anyway at snowbasin and if we do its only in a few favored aspects and then you have to ski the other 2000' vertical that had all the pow blown off. Boot top depth and under is more the norm.
From the outlier point of view was rooting for the Head Kore 99 a ski that didn’t make the top fifteen cut. I call the Head Kore 99 a lazy man’s ski. Easy to get them do what ever what you need with a underlining solid feel in a lightweight package. A modern version of the old hexcel honeycomb.

TS
tromano

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Demo day yesterday. 8" of heavy snow after a snowy week. 220lbs, 5'10". Here's my thoughts:

Blizzard Rustler 9 180: These skis split the difference between fun and charge. Good snow feel everywhere. Stiff-ish flex and good tip shape. They float well for what they are and charge decently hard in the heavier snow. Require some micromanagement and balance in the heavier snow, but with thoughtful skiing keeping them in the fall line and standing on my two feet I experienced no bad manners or tip dive on a day with lots of heavy cut up snow. Lots of fun and like the ease of mixing in shorter turns and dancing around obstacles compared to the generally chargier skis in my quiver. They also have enough underfoot stiffness and the right shape to really carve up the softish groomers, both long and medium turns are amazing.

stockli SR 95 2020 175 Note: These are a bit small for me but apparently all they have made as yet per the rep. I decided to try em.
Review: Smoother than a $100 bottle of scotch. Super easy to ski and with tons of performance and a few limitations. Long turns they cruise really nicely and just eat up the terrain with smoothness. In the heavy cut up, they did better than any ski this length and width should. Going faster in the cut up snow, I almost went ass over tea kettle a couple times, but the skis had just enough stability to keep it together. In short turns off piste, and when you suck your legs up underneath you, the ski really comes alive. I discovered this in some narrow skied out trees off JP and the SR95 challenged me to ski faster and with more agility and precision in short radius than ever have done before and then realize this thing is a powerhouse if you do it right. In terms of long raidus turns on groomers, its like trying to ski long turns on a SL ski - meh. I guess the longer versions of this ski will do better for fast cruising and long turns.

Head Kore 93 180: Easy with a nice top end. I skied these in the afternoon with my kids. The first thing I noticed getting off the lift is they have a weird "no feel" on groomers at low edge angles. "Is this thing on?" They got knocked around a bit too at low edge angles. After leaning them over a bit more they start to give feedback. Bad tune maybe? Once I got the feel of them, they actually carve a good turn and feel very solid. Prefer a more neutral pressure than I would have thought from a head ski. We went off trail with them and they are even easier to ski in cut up then those above. Just stupid easy to ski at low to medium speeds. Didn't really open it up on them, but I think if you keep them turning they will charge well enough through some really tough snow conditions off trail.

Nordica El Capo 185: Last couple runs of the day on these with a fresh stone grind. Crushed it off trail, big to medium turns, so nice to have enough ski to just be on the outside ski in the heavy stuff at the end of the day. If you want to ski it fast these are the skis. I think these are better on late day groomers then the Kore 93 and Stockli 95. Rustler 9s have them beat tho.

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Demo day yesterday. 8" of heavy snow after a snowy week. 220lbs, 5'10". Here's my thoughts:

stockli SR 95 2020 175 Note: These are a bit small for me but apparently all they have made as yet per the rep. I decided to try em.
Review: Smoother than a $100 bottle of scotch. Super easy to ski and with tons of performance and a few limitations. Long turns they cruise really nicely and just eat up the terrain with smoothness. In the heavy cut up, they did better than any ski this length and width should. Going faster in the cut up snow, I almost went ass over tea kettle a couple times, but the skis had just enough stability to keep it together. In short turns off piste, and when you suck your legs up underneath you, the ski really comes alive. I discovered this in some narrow skied out trees off JP and the SR95 challenged me to ski faster and with more agility and precision in short radius than ever have done before and then realize this thing is a powerhouse if you do it right. In terms of long raidus turns on groomers, its like trying to ski long turns on a SL ski - meh. I guess the longer versions of this ski will do better for fast cruising and long turns.

Did you feel like the new "lightness" in the ski was any detriment? Sounds like they held up pretty well in chop. I have this years, really like them. Torn between getting a leftover pair at a deal vs. getting next years "lighter/more playful" version. I'm taller, but lighter - am on the 184's.

R0ssignol Black Ops 98 in a 182

These are fun - skied them last year on powder day. shorter than optimal and the mount was forward for my tastes but still fun and really ate up chopped up late afternoon groomers

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you feel like the new "lightness" in the ski was any detriment? Sounds like they held up pretty well in chop. I have this years, really like them. Torn between getting a leftover pair at a deal vs. getting next years "lighter/more playful" version. I'm taller, but lighter - am on the 184's.
Cant compare since this was the first time I was ever on this brand of ski. sr95 was amazing for there quickness and precision and energy it gives back on short turns especially off trail. Not for stability. Worst in test stability but also It was 5cm shorter than any other ski I was on. So that's to be expected. For the length it felt pretty good in chop. But nothing in this range will touch a 10-something. It was actually the most boring groomer ski for long turns of all of them as well by a large margin even compared to the capos. Curious if the right length fixes that or not.

I am actually a bit confused on the sizing. The 184 would probably be more ski than I would ideally want for this application. I suspect it would loose the quickness of the 175. The sizes should be every 6cm not every 9.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

How are the bases on these things? the old Sickle/Schimitar which are very similar skis were great but had the slowest bases known to man. Are these any better?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Oh jeez. I was just getting my candidates sorted. Then you come along and throw a spanner in the works.

[Two of my three all-time favorite skis were first recommended and purchased by SB, so now when she likes something I have to listen. Dammit.]

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey, Tromano, are you still going to try to demo or have you narrowed it down to a few favorites already? Didn't see the thread until now and have a suggestion to throw into the mix if you want.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier

These are fun - skied them last year on powder day. shorter than optimal and the mount was forward for my tastes but still fun and really ate up chopped up late afternoon groomers

What's the flex like on these things? I'm looking forward to trying them out at a demo day in a couple of weeks.

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, Tromano, are you still going to try to demo or have you narrowed it down to a few favorites already? Didn't see the thread until now and have a suggestion to throw into the mix if you want.

Please keep throwing. :D

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid