• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018-19 Demo List: Chill tree skis

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Help me build the demo list for chill tree skis. Any feedback or recommendations are much appreciated.

Me: level 8 skier
210lbs, 5 foot 9

Active quiver:
185 Nordica El Capo (really more like 188) with PX15s
184 Head Monster 98 with Marker 13 Din binders
182 Fischer Pro Mtn 86ti with Aattack 13 demos

What I am looking for:
The other day my oldest daughter asked me to explore Beaver Slide trail at snowbasin which is about 18-20* with some fun undulations in skied out pow conditions. She skied it really well and had a great time and asked why can't we go into the tight aspen glades in that area next time. There is actually good amount of tight glades at snowbasin that should be really fun if we have a good winter and deep snow-pack. I am looking forward to skiing these areas with her over the next few years. But I am not convinced that my current quiver is up to the task.

Currently ski the Fischer Pro Mtn 86 with the kids and fam. I love the feel and balance point for mixed conditions and bumps/trees. I am concerned about the narrow width, tip shape, and lack of tail rise are not great for trees and fresh snow. In terms of stiffness, I would also like a bit softer ski in the tip and tail, but maintain the stiffness underfoot.

Since its snowbasin any skis I am on have to carve shortish turns nicely on firm utah man-made snow at kid friendly speeds.

As far as sizing, I am thinking 179-185 sizes, with preference for shorter vs longer but awareness of how much tail rise the ski has could make longer skis a good option. Don't want them to ski long.

As far as width, I am not so worried, if the flex and rocker profiles are right I should be ok with 92-102 widths.

Demo list:

Fischer Ranger 98ti (180cm): Reading some discussions it sounds like this is very similar to the 86ti with a more tip and tail rise and a more normal shaped tip.

Nordica Soul Rider 97 (185): Heard really good stuff about these a few years back.

Nordica Enforcer 100 (185): I like nordicas generally but these maybe too much ski for chill trees.

Blizzard Rustler 10 (180): Reviews make it sound like its what I am after.

Head Kore 99 (180): Like head skis. Rocker profile looks good. They seem to have a ton of taper which is not really what I am after. Per Blister, these are very stiff throughout and maybe a bit too stiff in the tip and tail area for what I am after.

Salomon QST 99 (181): Liked the feel of the XDR series when demoing last year.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe toss the DPS Foundation Cassiar 94 into the mix to take a look at? I'm an inch taller and several pounds heavier and found them to be are pretty good Swiss Army ski for my advancing intermediate skills. Fun all over, though perhaps a bit narrow for those deep pow days.

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just skiied the previous generation Black Crows Atris in conditions you just mentioned and it was fun. I do think its wider than you want.

Maybe the Liberty Origin 96 would be nice and would have little overlap in your quiver. I have the Liberty Sequence (no longer produced) and it is fantastic in the conditions you describe.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Rustler 9 would be my pick over the Rustler 10-quicker edge to edge, better at speed and super fun in the bumps and trees. Stiff underfoot and playful tip/tail like you want. 180cm length.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So what's a good tree ski?
Something that you can slide easily?

Which might argue for a longer turn radius and full rocker, but reasonably drugs, like the katana?

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe toss the DPS Foundation Cassiar 94 into the mix to take a look at? I'm an inch taller and several pounds heavier and found them to be are pretty good Swiss Army ski for my advancing intermediate skills. Fun all over, though perhaps a bit narrow for those deep pow days.

I will add them to the list. I liked the 82 and 87 last year, but it wasn't the right ski for general front side at snowbasin. But the 94 may be the right ski for this mission :D

Last edited:
TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rustler 9 would be my pick over the Rustler 10-quicker edge to edge, better at speed and super fun in the bumps and trees. Stiff underfoot and playful tip/tail like you want. 180cm length.

Thanks for the heads up. I will take a look at the 9 as well. The reviews seemed to indicate both the 10 and 9 would suit what I was looking for. And I am thinking less may be more with this ski.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
whats wrong with the capos?

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So what's a good tree ski?
Something that you can slide easily?

Which might argue for a longer turn radius and full rocker, but reasonably drugs, like the katana?

I am talking about noodling around off trail with the kids, things that look more like a single track bike trail than a ski run, mellow pow, tight aspens and even tighter maple trees where the young kids like to go. I already have a nice 10X class of ski and skis of this type tend to be too much ski for what I am thinking about.

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
whats wrong with the capos?

I like the capos for like steeper and more open tree shots off of JP and such, but they are a bit heavy and a bit stiff and long I think for narrower aspens and maples. They carry speed really well and sometimes I want to slow down.

I may demo alot and decide that the capo is as good as anything out there.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
hmmn they seem super easy to go slow with....

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
hmmn they seem super easy to go slow with....

Easy for you, maybe not as easy for me :D.

I can play around with going slow on them tomorrow and see if I surprise myself. Sometimes I fall into a rut of just skiing a certain way on a specific ski.

Of my current quiver, I think the fischer 86ti is easier to ski at kid speeds vs the capos. Also "The Ones" were easier to ski slow on IIRC.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
I read the same review and it sounded ok. I don't always trust blister's take on skis since they seem to hate skis I love and vice versa.

Warning: slight thread hijack. Sorry.

The Rustler 9 and 10 are kind of an anti-ski for (in general) the Blister culture. I base this off of their 3-ski quiver picks, in that you are hard pressed to find someone there that picks a ski under 100 as their narrow ski, and none went for anything under 90. Think about that. Not one of their crew spends enough time on hard snow, or simply wants to enjoy a precisely carved turn to warrant a ski (again, in general) dedicated to the stuff (e.g. rec carver or race), let alone under 100mm. One of them almost went with the Titan (great choice); alas, it got left on the cutting room floor.

Anyway, back to the Rustlers 9&10, which are very similar to each other. I called them anti-Blister skis because of their turniness, they have a tip shape/flex that really likes to engage, even at lower speeds (like when you might be skiing with your kiddies), and a tight sidecut to back it up. There are better choices if you want to rage at mach shnell, but that’s not what the OP is asking for.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Warning: slight thread hijack. Sorry.

The Rustler 9 and 10 are kind of an anti-ski for (in general) the Blister culture. I base this off of their 3-ski quiver picks, in that you are hard pressed to find someone there that picks a ski under 100 as their narrow ski, and none went for anything under 90. Think about that. Not one of their crew spends enough time on hard snow, or simply wants to enjoy a precisely carved turn to warrant a ski (again, in general) dedicated to the stuff (e.g. rec carver or race), let alone under 100mm. One of them almost went with the Titan (great choice); alas, it got left on the cutting room floor.

Anyway, back to the Rustlers 9&10, which are very similar to each other. I called them anti-Blister skis because of their turniness, they have a tip shape/flex that really likes to engage, even at lower speeds (like when you might be skiing with your kiddies), and a tight sidecut to back it up. There are better choices if you want to rage at mach shnell, but that’s not what the OP is asking for.

^^^ THIS!

I actually Loved the Rustler 10 in 188cm (preferred it to the Rustler 9 in the same length). It made medium and long radius turns no problem, held a great edge on firm snow and was stable at speed. Fun ski, felt like a lighter and easier Bonafide. So I am confused by the Blister review of that ski. Maybe they got a dud? For trees I would choose the 180cm length for sure although the 188cm doesnt ski super long.

The Kore 99 is more of a charger than a ski for tight trees. The Kore 93 in 180cm would be perfect for tress though.

For tight trees with deep powder I would look into wider skis with full rocker.

Sponsor