• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
My driveway about a mile from that picture had a good inch of wind buffed icy hard packed slush. CO sunshine is doing its thing where surfaces were cleared.

Reactions: nay

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
The number of people who failed to listen to warnings about this storm, who got stranded, who abandoned their cars,....it is one of those points of info that informs some of the complaints on the I-70 sucks thread. The carnage in @nay ’s picture is at least half SUVs and trucks

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
Loveland was super wind affected in the opposite direction it normally is. Punchy Cream Cheese. Lots of carnage due to tip dives. Tunnel faces and East/West Ropes were realllyyy good though.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Breck was heavily wind affected, too.

I only had a short time and was with a group that was feeling pretty mellow, but yeah. Found some great snow in the trees, though.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The number of people who failed to listen to warnings about this storm, who got stranded, who abandoned their cars,....it is one of those points of info that informs some of the complaints on the I-70 sucks thread. The carnage in @nay ’s picture is at least half SUVs and trucks

Once people were stopping it was over. Nobody had any business being out in that in any vehicle, because there was zero visibility. Even if you could get around capability wise, no way to see the road vs. going off it.

I just went out in my neighborhood, which is a war zone.

Do I like clearing my driveway? No.

1216AD29-02D6-4497-9A1E-0A493955AAD5.jpeg

0CED9D9C-3235-493A-A8FB-607702ABCE4C.jpeg

Not easy to get out. This stuff is incredibly heavy while also being soapy. Want to talk about snow tires?

03D1619C-EACF-4C89-98B5-8B07CF51B95B.jpeg FF5BF4A8-C1C0-4210-87CB-87A7AC1F7009.jpeg 4C8D023E-CE7E-453F-ACCB-6CC3FF0D3920.jpeg 9A6FF212-2F67-438C-9229-9DF2F2BDE998.jpeg

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I only had a short time and was with a group that was feeling pretty mellow, but yeah. Found some great snow in the trees, though.

North side of 9, or lower angle stuff?

I went out with limited time so did the t-bar, imperial thing. I might have enjoyed wind slabby CJs, but didn't have the time to wait for a rope drop. Work, ya know.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Where the snow deposited, it is so dense. Not a lot of driving in a straight line. About like driving in double the actual accumulation.

The flat spot in the middle of this first pic is where I got stuck drift busting without enough speed. So close. You gotta love it when the snow easily supports 3 tons. There were no tracks through here at all, and for good reason.

2B144872-75D1-471B-B7C8-281C493D9756.jpeg 0CCDD756-5658-4C07-B5EB-5F3E83FDFB39.jpeg

This section I had to drive crabwalking nearly sideways, because that’s the way the snow wanted it to be. Lockers are fun.

435E8189-8520-440F-8F74-2A7C5D75AED3.jpeg

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
North side of 9, or lower angle stuff?

I went out with limited time so did the t-bar, imperial thing. I might have enjoyed wind slabby CJs, but didn't have the time to wait for a rope drop. Work, ya know.

Let's see ... the good snow I encountered was King in Contest, Windows, and Peerless Trees. Pretty much what you'd expect, though I was surprised it wasn't more tracked out, especially King. I mean, plenty of tracks, but also still big, easy to ski piles. Never left 6 chair & E chair.

I brought out the Fatys (I-Rock) in anticipation of heavy snow up high, which of course was way overkill for what I actually skied. But they were still fun, and surprisingly good on groomers.

Reactions: nay

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Loveland was super wind affected in the opposite direction it normally is. Punchy Cream Cheese. Lots of carnage due to tip dives. Tunnel faces and East/West Ropes were realllyyy good though.

I took a few stupid spills due to that. It was tough skiing but still had lots of fun with @Noodler I was gassed at the end though. When I just let it fly the Noctas crushed everything but they do NOT like shorter turns when in this stuff. In lighter snow they can pivot and smear quite easily but this stuff was dense and varied greatly by aspect and small changes topography. Below treeline / in the trees it was much better.

Definitely the mount is way too forward for me. Need to take care of that.

The X Factor was the COLD. Wow. -5F at 11,500 all morning but only windy above treeline and then the wind calmed down enough. Like I mentioned before skis just dont slide the same when its that cold.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Wow, looks like wet concrete and lots of it. Oh, that SUV had snow tires? They cant overcome stupidity I guess :huh::roflmao:

Yep, wet concrete. The SUV with snow tires was trying to go around the fallen tree, and then couldn’t get out of the shoulder. You’d think those “snow” tires would do better :P.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yep, wet concrete. The SUV with snow tires was trying to go around the fallen tree, and then couldn’t get out of the shoulder. You’d think those “snow” tires would do better :P.

They are good on the road not off of it :huh::roflmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online