• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hell of a storm. Wow

448FB2B5-E6FD-4382-A8E6-CF2536C673E9.jpeg 246FC641-675F-4A0E-9A14-EBA5E5DBF5F9.jpeg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
My power went out right after my last post, so now 6 hours. Cell network completely overwhelmed, hard to even text until AT&T went down and came back without everybody on it.

I’m running gas fireplaces off the backup battery setup and we have gas cooking, so we’re hunkered down, warm, and fed.

I’d go do some driving recon as this point, but my garage won’t open :P.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I-25 south of Denver may not open until around noon tomorrow according to local news.

It will be interesting to read how the wind will have impacted avalanche zones.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
@nay Stay safe and warm! Local news still makes it look pretty bad, and here on the south side of Palmer Ridge it is still dumping and blowing.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@nay Stay safe and warm! Local news still makes it look pretty bad, and here on the south side of Palmer Ridge it is still dumping and blowing.

Still raging up here on the crest. I have sastrugi now. But not enough cell service to post the pic.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Pretty good storm day on the hill, started out with about three and added about twelve. Fairly light stuff, slid right off our skis. It did come in with a little wind but the results were def positive, on certain runs the drifts were fun to blow up or surf, on others it was just deeep.
ox3mC-BcY15ysl5sPJsch_lvB1wcLDpkKmR4MtmIePg-768x1024.jpg

https://www.relive.cc/view/2211725597

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sadly, the snow ended in Lafayette a few hours ago. I think it was a few hours, I've been sucked into studying. It's hard to say how much we actually got because of the wind. Power has stayed since about 1pm.

Looking forward to a ski day at Copper on Saturday. I'm sorta disappointed that the new Liberty skis only shipped today and won't be here in time but I suppose I don't need something that skinny this weekend.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Are they? I've been watching the traffic from Longmont to Breck and vv all day, and it's looked pretty clear most of the afternoon. When it looked bad, it was going east - west had a half hour delay at the worst I've noticed.

I-70 was closed in both directions for a while on "our side" (closer to the city).

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
From Pueblo NWS at 4:00 pm:

Historic event. 100s of people are still stranded and cant be rescued as visibility is literally zero over most of northern El Paso county. 911 only responding to "life and death" situations per media. 1000s are without power. Winds still gusting to 70 to 80 mph at KCOS and KPUB.

People went out in this in their cars. I normally go out and help, but still without power I am staying put.

4C287D19-C015-47C7-A867-B3DD65A1B4C0.jpeg

D317A0DE-E792-468D-B114-5B3613B2BFB0.jpeg

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Epic day of skiing. By about 8 it was snowing heavily in WP town and accumulating in earnest. We had a late start and got up to the gondola about 10:30. By then there was a good 3-4" of fresh on the ground. It was definitely windy, but didn't seem to be enough to call it a cyclone, bomb or otherwise. Kind of business as usual if you have ever spent much time at Mammoth.

There was almost no competition and fresh tracks were to be found anywhere one wished to look. The run of the day was Rifle Site Notch at about 3:30. By then about 15" had fallen, largely undisturbed. They swept the web cam snow stake about 4:30 and another 2" had accumulated by 5:30. At 10:45 it reads about 5". I think I'll get up a bit earlier tomorrow morning.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The winds were down here, not up high. I’m still without power. Card games by candlelight continue.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most Front Range schools are closed again tomorrow. I wonder how many parents will take the kids skiing? Could be some traffic on I-70 to add to the possible avalanche mess.

Last edited:
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Most Front Range schools are closed tomorrow too. I wonder how many parents will take the kids skiing? Could be some traffic on I-70 to add to the possible avalanche mess.

We bagged. Bummed because it’s the Guanella Pass Brewery day for mug club members at Loveland, but it’s not worth it at this point to make a huge fight to get there.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Word from the boat (a friend visiting) is that the mountain was empty, she wa getting untracked 8” after lunch in popular areas Snow was decent, not too heavy Very strange snow report probably contributed. Resort reported no snow from the close however, there was clearly 6” on the champagne powder stake (not the official snow reporting location, and now they are reporting 10” in 24 hours so....) and at our house we had more than 8” on the Finn Powder stake. I’m seeing 5” on the champagne stake this AM from the close and it’s been in single digits over night so anyone skiing the boat this AM should be treated with some very fine snow.

Edit: update, they are now claiming (as of this AM) 17" in 24 hours at the summit and 8" at mid-mountain in 24 LOL.

@Bruuuce need to ski vicariously through you, need the report please :thumb:

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So how often do the roads get closed? Instead of welcome sign, it looks Colorado needs a go away sign.

upload_2019-3-14_6-59-41.png

Reactions: nay

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Word from the boat (a friend visiting) is that the mountain was empty, she wa getting untracked 8” after lunch in popular areas Snow was decent, not too heavy Very strange snow report probably contributed. Resort reported no snow from the close however, there was clearly 6” on the champagne powder stake (not the official snow reporting location, and now they are reporting 10” in 24 hours so....) and at our house we had more than 8” on the Finn Powder stake. I’m seeing 5” on the champagne stake this AM from the close and it’s been in single digits over night so anyone skiing the boat this AM should be treated with some very fine snow.

Edit: update, they are now claiming (as of this AM) 17" in 24 hours at the summit and 8" at mid-mountain in 24 LOL.

@Bruuuce need to ski vicariously through you, need the report please :thumb:

Didn't ski yesterday but my DW did. She said it was empty and the snow was heavy, but nice. Got first tracks on an ungroomed upper valley view in the afternoon...

My favorite quote about the current SB snow conditions from one of our local ski shops (Ski Haus): "As far as snow goes this may be more 3.2 beer than champagne but it is still above average!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online