• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Our little group of 5 had a ball at beaver creek. We were going to go to vail since breck had no power. Vail was packed so we went on to beaver creek 1st timer st beaver creek. Loved it.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Interesting day here, the snow was not of the hero variety. Skiing a cat track across the top of a bowl there must have been two dozen splat holes after half a turn. Those that didn't splat were making powder elevens for the most part. Think I elevened the longest pow line I ever have, only had to pole out once. My buddy was breaking trail out to a stash when he scared up a couple of ptarmigans.

Bumps are in fine shape:thumb: Town is pretty full, prolly be quite a circus tomorrow.

Oh, my buddy and I were captured on a couple of the resorts video blogs recently... they even got him skiing.

Strava let me down, only got half the day but there are a couple of nice pics in here:
https://www.relive.cc/view/2133123616

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to have missed the Taos gathering, but just coming up for air after amazing 4 days at Wolf Creek Sunday through Wednesday. First day was warm, fine graupel on crust. Day two was deeper graupel on soft, silky snow. A lot of fog. Days 3 & 4 were colder with Deep, Deep snow - 27 inches in 24 hours. The photos don't do it justice, but on the steeper, deeper stuff day 4 it was spraying over the shoulder. Top of Treasure on Wednesday afternoon however was total white out. I mean we couldn't see anything at all, just white. Thankfully, we knew the mountain enough to brail-ski to where we could see a darker patch in the distance which were trees. I actually fell off the cat track! Best powder was at 3:30 on the lower mountain trees because everyone had migrated to Alberta area, so they filled in with NO tracks. Amazing. (no photos of that "L" run, sorry)

Day 4 in Alberta area
deep deep.jpg
Day 1 DH at bottom of Little Moka Graupel on crust
graupel on crust.jpg
me rounding a stump toward the bottom of an Alberta run Day 4
round the stump.jpg
Day 1 Little Moka near the top
Wolf Creek Moka 2-4-19_Moment.jpg

DH hiding in the nukage 20190207_181912.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Sorry to have missed the Taos gathering, but just coming up for air after amazing 4 days at Wolf Creek Sunday through Wednesday. First day was warm, fine graupel on crust. Day two was deeper graupel on soft, silky snow. A lot of fog. Days 3 & 4 were colder with Deep, Deep snow - 27 inches in 24 hours. The photos don't do it justice, but on the steeper, deeper stuff day 4 it was spraying over the shoulder. Top of Treasure on Wednesday afternoon however was total white out. I mean we couldn't see anything at all, just white. Thankfully, we knew the mountain enough to brail-ski to where we could see a darker patch in the distance which were trees. I actually fell off the cat track! Best powder was at 3:30 on the lower mountain trees because everyone had migrated to Alberta area, so they filled in with NO tracks. Amazing. (no photos of that "L" run, sorry)

Day 4 in Alberta area
View attachment 65238
Day 1 DH at bottom of Little Moka Graupel on crust
View attachment 65239
me rounding a stump toward the bottom of an Alberta run Day 4
View attachment 65240
Day 1 Little Moka near the top
View attachment 65241

DH hiding in the nukage View attachment 65242

Looks amazing with lots of lower angle pow. Prime territory for my Phat Skis (122mm)

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
A little late to post but both Wednesday at Sunlight with 16" and Thursday at Powderhorn with 13" (so they said but it was probably more like 8-10" but still great) were incredible and definitely worth the drive! Wednesday the snow was more dense (felt like I was back in Tahoe) but deep on top of the prior day's snow to where I would have preferred my 125mm over the 112mm I was on but Thursday it was absolutely blower! A little colder but really not bad at all. The difference in powder from one day to another was very interesting as Wednesday was one of those days where it was so good that you didn't want to stop, yet the legs were working so hard in the denser snow that I was truly thankful I didn't blow out a knee as I skied way too many runs and could barely walk on Thursday. The blower snow on Thursday was effortless but after 5-6 runs I found my mind telling my legs to turn but they were telling my mind to F-off as they were so shot from the day before. There is skiing shape, and there is deeper, non-blower-powder skiing shape and I definitely don't have the latter right now.

Iron Mountain Hot Springs was so rewarding after Wednesday's marathon day! This was the most impromptu roadtrip as I was sitting having a pity party in Georgetown at 6:30am because Loveland got 0" while Sunlight had 13" and by 10am I was riding my first lift up at Sunlight.
IMG_20190206_090128982.jpg IMG_20190206_121334694.jpg IMG_20190206_121720695.jpg IMG_20190206_122123722.jpg IMG_20190206_131627730.jpg IMG_20190206_132111035.jpg IMG_20190206_132250252.jpg
IMG_20190206_132310757.jpg

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any more, Fridays are increasingly indistinguishable from weekends, with so many people having Fridays off on 9/80 schedules or otherwise. I was amazed at WB I-70 traffic at 7:45 this morning in Mt. Vernon Canyon. I would not expect to arrive at any ski area, including A-Basin, at 9:30 am on a Friday anymore and have decent parking. I was depressed to get to Mary Jane a couple of Fridays ago at 8:40 and find I had to park on the road.

I've found that to be the same at Loveland where there is virtually no difference between Friday and the weekend. Monday to Thursday is much quieter but if I'm not in the parking lot by 9:30ish, there's a chance I may have to park at the Valley on Fridays. I did not notice that last year but it has stood out to me this year. Maybe it's the better snow this year drawing in more tourists for 3 day weekends or motivating locals to take sick days.:huh:

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Did a lot of work on my bump and glide technique today. Did a Hollywood run and got hooted at by some instructors. Not sure if they were saying 'good job' or 'get outa my sight, ya bum' :huh:

This year I've really been trying to maximize my jump and pump, as in jumping up then pumping down little terrain undulations to add speed on runouts. It's fun to hear the sudden increase in air volume whizzing through my helmet = ) Not that much different than keeping tip to snow contact in the bumps.
https://www.relive.cc/view/2138106959

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
crazy storm this AM, bands of nukage. The mountain is reporting 10" at mid-Mt and 5" at the Summit. Powder cam shows 6" (about 500' below summit and to the south) Not sure whats up with that inverted disparity between mid and summit. we got 3" at our house and its uber light.

Reactions: nay

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A little late to post but both Wednesday at Sunlight with 16" and Thursday at Powderhorn with 13" (so they said but it was probably more like 8-10" but still great) were incredible and definitely worth the drive! Wednesday the snow was more dense (felt like I was back in Tahoe) but deep on top of the prior day's snow to where I would have preferred my 125mm over the 112mm I was on but Thursday it was absolutely blower! A little colder but really not bad at all. The difference in powder from one day to another was very interesting as Wednesday was one of those days where it was so good that you didn't want to stop, yet the legs were working so hard in the denser snow that I was truly thankful I didn't blow out a knee as I skied way too many runs and could barely walk on Thursday. The blower snow on Thursday was effortless but after 5-6 runs I found my mind telling my legs to turn but they were telling my mind to F-off as they were so shot from the day before. There is skiing shape, and there is deeper, non-blower-powder skiing shape and I definitely don't have the latter right now.

Iron Mountain Hot Springs was so rewarding after Wednesday's marathon day! This was the most impromptu roadtrip as I was sitting having a pity party in Georgetown at 6:30am because Loveland got 0" while Sunlight had 13" and by 10am I was riding my first lift up at Sunlight.
View attachment 65295 View attachment 65296 View attachment 65298 View attachment 65299 View attachment 65300 View attachment 65301 View attachment 65302
View attachment 65303
Sunlight IS a special place. :yahoo:

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
crazy storm this AM, bands of nukage. The mountain is reporting 10" at mid-Mt and 5" at the Summit. Powder cam shows 6" (about 500' below summit and to the south) Not sure whats up with that inverted disparity between mid and summit. we got 3" at our house and its uber light.

Glad someone got some good snow out of this "storm"! I got up early and kept watching the cam, saying I was going to head out as soon as it started snowing but it never did. We are nearing the end of our trip and I'm turning into a snob. I did spend the day charting out our next year's 8 week, 5 state, 17 resort Ikon road trip though so the day wasn't a total waste.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
interesting storm... the question is, just how light or heavy

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
NOON MST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 8 to 16
inches expected with local amounts up to 2 feet. Winds gusting
as high as 40 mph.

* WHERE...Elkhead and Park Mountains, Grand and Battlement
Mesas, West Elk and Sawatch Mountains and Flat Tops.

* WHEN...From 5 PM this afternoon to noon MST Friday.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yep, report of 94 mph on the ridgeline above Berthoud.

Planning to hit some fresh tomorrow.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
WOW!!! winds here are avg 19mph at the summit, its 21* winds are 206* so it needs to shift for us but it has started snowing.

Excited to be skiing tomorrow on our local Ski brand "Harvest Ski's" on their 105, "Home Grown" ski. Review to come.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yesterday - the wind has continued to smooth out Luv. Patrol Bowl was top to bottom silt.

This is not Patrol Bowl.

C8FAAB8D-D539-4B20-84FE-08391238338A.jpeg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Lots of moisture headed our way on a strong jet. Just a little gap tomorrow afternoon between advisories. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a stacked advisory set like this.

7E4E5149-175F-4DB6-8BF0-9E0BD2C3675C.png

Combined it is upwards of 16” in these first two rounds and these things tend to (sometimes significantly) overproduce in certain places.

Know thyself and know thy microclimates.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I did venture out today. Bonus days off, so we figured we would hit up ABasin middle of the week and avoid any parking issues. We arrived at 930am and were still able to park in the front 1/2 of the Early Riser lot.

The tales of gales blowing across the mountain tops were not exaggerated. Nothing at ABasin opened on time. It took until 11am for the upper mountain to open, but that was a mixed blessing. The day started and ended on the warmer side. However, the sunny and windy morning turned into a cloudy and less windy early afternoon.

Surfaces under Lenawee, BMX, and Zuma were all pretty firm wind buffed snow. Beavers actually had decent conditions once you dropped below Loafer into the bowl or skied on Davis. It was my first time in the Beavers, and I would echo every comment that Loafer and Davis are intermediate level only at a stretch. If you came from skiing Bonanza at Breck you would have sworn somebody was making you ski Imperial or something.

There was also some good spots to be found in the Land of the Giants, probably thanks to wind loading in the rocky crags of that area below the East Wall.

Everybody was skiing on a Wednesday. So, wind, clouds, and lift holds were not creating lines or removing smiles on the faces that were out on skis.

IMG_6418.JPG
Doing my best @nay impersonation on the lower section of Davis--probably the longest continuous stretch of soft snow I encountered all day.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
It was my first time in the Beavers, and I would echo every comment that Loafer and Davis are intermediate level only at a stretch. If you came from skiing Bonanza at Breck you would have sworn somebody was making you ski Imperial or something.

View attachment 65594
Doing my best @nay impersonation on the lower section of Davis--probably the longest continuous stretch of soft snow I encountered all day.

And u have not seen those runs full of moguls on the steep parts which has been their default conditions most days this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.