• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
I think “really fast” was theme of the day. Making arcing turns from cream into funk didn’t produce spectacular results :P
Yeah, wasn't arc to arc, it was arc to drift to arc = )

Reactions: nay

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
At least they remembered to put numbers on it, unlike A-basin!

@Ken_R it looks a lot like the old spot in the trees near the top of the Eagle. Presumably, they moved it to the bar for the lift construction.

Classic Copper picture from Saturday:

View attachment 64600

And a few pics from a mogul comp on Rossie's Run that I enjoyed watching for a bit. It was fun to see the kids getting after it!

View attachment 64598

Note the Ikonic line at the Super Bee ^^^. It was 11 am on a sunny Saturday before the Super Bowl, so hoping it was just a fluke.

Really pretty inverted. Wish I'd taken it from up above like the prior shot.

View attachment 64599

Then had some fun runs with @UGASkiDawg but no pics as I was just trying to keep up!
Great skiing with you Anthony!

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
We weren’t finding much consistent at A-Basin with heavy wind scouring and a lack of good deposits...

View attachment 64780

...so we headed over the pass where I’d feared Luv was overly scoured. Fortunately, my fears weren’t founded. Scoured, but with good deposits.

View attachment 64785

9 was actually running in the high wind today and Castle Rock and the south side of Primer had been looking good yesterday before the wind hold. Seen here as typically heavily tracked :ogcool:

View attachment 64782

Deposits. With some patches down lower to straighten out those arcs.

View attachment 64783

But not enough to stop some lapping.

View attachment 64786

And lil P was out again.

View attachment 64784

Yep, my kids got to see Lil P several times today. He's not so little!

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Or, I could ski local tomorrow..........

I got within 15 miles of my hotel in Glenwood springs this afternoon and found out I70 was closed until tomorrow due to the rock slide. I then started up 131 Northbound for a 4.5 hour detour. About an hour in I got to high enough elevation that the roads turned into a skating rink and traffic was crawling at 20 mph which could have made it a 10 hour trip at that pace. After 2 cars in front of me went into the ditch, I decided to turn around while there was still sunlight and avoid the inevitable shit-show. I'm super bummed as this was probably my last storm of this trip and radar and the webcam shows Sunlight getting hammered while Loveland doesn't show a speck. 5 hrs of driving and only 15 miles from my destination but it just wasn't meant to be. I don't regret the decision to turn back as I have a feeling it would have been a nightmare once the sun set, the temps dropped and it started dumping. Oh well, I'll just have to partake of whatever Loveland serves up the next few days which should still be fun.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Or, I could ski local tomorrow..........

I got within 15 miles of my hotel in Glenwood springs this afternoon and found out I70 was closed until tomorrow due to the rock slide. I then started up 131 Northbound for a 4.5 hour detour. About an hour in I got to high enough elevation that the roads turned into a skating rink and traffic was crawling at 20 mph which could have made it a 10 hour trip at that pace. After 2 cars in front of me went into the ditch, I decided to turn around while there was still sunlight and avoid the inevitable shit-show. I'm super bummed as this was probably my last storm of this trip and radar and the webcam shows Sunlight getting hammered while Loveland doesn't show a speck. 5 hrs of driving and only 15 miles from my destination but it just wasn't meant to be. I don't regret the decision to turn back as I have a feeling it would have been a nightmare once the sun set, the temps dropped and it started dumping. Oh well, I'll just have to partake of whatever Loveland serves up the next few days which should still be fun.

Oh crap, that’s right. Rockslide in Glenwood Canyon. Sometimes they are big enough to punch holes in the upper section - this doesn’t look too bad, but will probably have I-70 closed for several days.

BC016610-6E71-4634-99C6-3EB6FF88E2B7.png

News reports say EB lanes have reopened and they hope to open one WB lane tonight. Not sure if that happened with the storm incoming.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
looking like 6" on the powder cam this AM (5:30) with plenty more coming in throughout the day. @Jwrags is gong to have a very good day :). I'm on the sidelines today. Need to let the hip rest-up after SIA.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Yesterday was pretty nice, especially in the morning, but looking forward to a powder day today⛷

Reactions: Ron

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Check that. The chase is on! Already at Silverthorne as the roads have been clear and traffic is moving at 70. We'll see how backed up it is when I get near Glenwood Canyon. 1 lane is open.

:roflmao: you are dedicated. What didn't work out for some yesterday was allegedly a well known app was routing traffic over Cottonnwood Pass for the detour. At least those that took the long way around thru Steamboat / Craig got somewhere.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Imade it to Glenwood Springs. What a beautiful canyon (I need to come back in the Summer and paddle it) and I didn't see any rock debris so they did a great job last night!

What a difference a pass makes. Driving thru Summit County there was blue skies and zero snow until I got on the backside of Vail pass. Vail was getting hammered and it hasn't stopped snowing the rest of the way. Possibly another 8" today on top of the 11" at Sunlight so should be a couple good days!

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That happens more than talked about. We went to dinner in Vail a couple of weeks ago and were pretty convinced we wouldn't make it back over the pass. It was snowing to beat hec on the Vail side. This past Sunday it was scattered snow showers and sun at Copper. At some point Vail Pass was closed because of stuff on the west side.

Oh, and it is snowing at Copper now.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Imade it to Glenwood Springs. What a beautiful canyon (I need to come back in the Summer and paddle it) and I didn't see any rock debris so they did a great job last night!

What a difference a pass makes. Driving thru Summit County there was blue skies and zero snow until I got on the backside of Vail pass. Vail was getting hammered and it hasn't stopped snowing the rest of the way. Possibly another 8" today on top of the 11" at Sunlight so should be a couple good days!

Ahh, you experienced the classic Summit County Doughnut Hole, its no myth, it is real!

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
The first big grade going up, was touch and go because of the semis. The semi 4 cars up in the pic almost jackknifed by the time we got too it. 20190206_121829.jpg

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
I know the rest of the state has done better but WP overproduced today. Snow started falling at 7:30 this morning and the mountain is still shrouded however I can see blue sky to the North of Tabernash

Attachments

• 2019-02-06 15_07_43-Snow Stake.png
    2019-02-06 15_07_43-Snow Stake.png
    567 KB · Views: 10

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like the skiing is going to be good tomorrow, but it's going to be cold! Very cold, and windy too. I'm having doubts.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
upload_2019-2-7_5-58-3.jpeg

so the good news is there's 4" from overnight with about 15" since yesterday... the bad news is its -13* with 15 mph avg winds right now. Hoping to go up today and make some powder turns with @Jwrags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January