• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
well, it was a very interesting day! Started off with very heavy dense snow. if your tips went under the snow, you were a U-Boat commander. :) We took a break and let the snow fall and after an hour or so, the snow really lightened up quite a bit but visibility was near zero, Total Helen Keller skiing. Very good for you snow. Ended up staying out to nearly 3. Great skiing with @Jerez! She skied every very well! I have pics but she has editorial control :)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
well, it was a very interesting day! Started off with very heavy dense snow. if your tips went under the snow, you were a U-Boat commander. :) We took a break and let the snow fall and after an hour or so, the snow really lightened up quite a bit but visibility was near zero, Total Helen Keller skiing. Very good for you snow. Ended up staying out to nearly 3. Great skiing with @Jerez! She skied every very well! I have pics but she has editorial control :)

Yeah, visibility was tough. At least at Steamboat you have lots of trees so that you know which way is up. There were a few times today at LL where I completely lost track of which end of me was supposed to be where and just plopped over. :eek:

Reactions: nay

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, I have snow depth envy today, as WPMJ got only 6.
But...it was still fantastic skiing.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What? Not while I was there. I left at about 2 p.m.

Then again, would I have known? The visibility was so poor today that you wouldn't see anything.

Article said about 2:30, so it wasn't you.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, visibility was tough. At least at Steamboat you have lots of trees so that you know which way is up. There were a few times today at LL where I completely lost track of which end of me was supposed to be where and just plopped over. :eek:

no trees for me. Just got call today from Dr to schedule up hip surgery. But I did have 3 fantastic endo's.

What a fantastic day! @Ron is the definition of a mensch. So much fun. As one person who skied with us today said, "what makes being with Ron so great is how JOYOUS he is." Thank you thank you!

You are too kind. I had a blast skiing with you and Mr Jerez. Hopefully, Tim will join up here too.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
What? Not while I was there. I left at about 2 p.m.

Then again, would I have known? The visibility was so poor today that you wouldn't see anything.

"a skier accessed closed terrain within the ski area boundary and triggered the avalanche."

@nay I know that wasnt you right?

Whoever it was owes LL Patrol big, tough day to be out there searching...

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
So. I went to Steamboat. It nuked. The drive from silverthorne was very spicey. And then there was all the snow in the world, super heavy but deep. One of the best days in a very long time. Literally needed the steepest terrain possible to keep speed today.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
"a skier accessed closed terrain within the ski area boundary and triggered the avalanche."

@nay I know that wasnt you right?

Whoever it was owes LL Patrol big, tough day to be out there searching...

Local news did not state that it was skier triggered. That's major info to not include. So it was closed inbounds terrain that some idiot decided to poach? :nono:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Local news did not state that it was skier triggered. That's major info to not include. So it was closed inbounds terrain that some idiot decided to poach? :nono:

Yep, basically

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I know its not Steamboat but it was snowing pretty darn hard at Beaver Creek this morning:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad you all got some! I had an Epic drive up today. :(

I-70 tip: when Google tells to go Clear Creek Canyon to save 20 minutes, then you get there and it's closed because of an accident, ignore Google when it tells you to take Golden Gate Canyon. It's probably also going to close when you are half way up, then you'll end up backtracking to I-70 up Lookout Mountain (ignoring the advice to take Coal Creek Canyon). And, that was leaving at 2:30 pm. :eek:

Reactions: nay

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I lucked out with a great first day back in town at Luv today. Would have probably been a top 5 or top 7 of my days last year but I guess this is just a normal day this season. I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one that found the snow a bit heavy today as I was wondering if my massive heal lifts were effecting me or if I was just out of practice on my first powder day of the season. No wipeouts but dropping into unexpected knee deep pockets definitely put the brakes on fast. The roads were totally clear from G-town to Loveland yet it took me almost 90 minutes to get there which was double my longest trip last season so that was interesting given that no weekend trips last year were even close to today. Hoping to get some runs off chair 9 tomorrow but it will just be me and my 10 y/o son so I'll see if he's feeling up for it on his first day of the season.

Nay, I thought I saw your vehicle in the parking lot but never saw you on chair 8.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

I left at about 3:30 and passed an alpine rescue truck with lights flashing coming up towards Loveland - didn’t know there had been an avalanche until I saw something on Instagram. I didn’t ski off Chet’s all day except first run and after lunch.

I was coming off 8 at 2:30 when it happened, did run into a patroller who seemed to be in hurry. The slide is reported to be in Avalanche Bowl, which is far skier’s right off Chet’s and getting into Seven Sisters territory up Loveland Pass - that’s incredibly stupid terrain to poach when it hasn’t been controlled.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Nay, I thought I saw your vehicle in the parking lot but never saw you on chair 8.

Seeing was limited ogsmile.

There is no doubt you needed to be skiing surfy today when hitting denser pits. I think the lightest snow was off 6. Felt a bit dumb finally skiing off that chair at the end of the day given there is good tree visibility.

I tried to take some pics to show how much it was filling back in on 8. This stuff was skied all day and each run was pretty much fresh.

23602C3F-2A4B-464A-9FE3-051409CE4889.jpeg D256B9CA-9B8F-4A12-BC18-2493805717EE.jpeg 31B7B924-08B7-4F2D-A0FD-E6092266D59F.jpeg

It also went nuts in Monument. We were supposed to maybe get an inch and it nuked and went to ice as is often the case. This hill is the 14% grade where I do some of my tire testing (not my pic) when it’s safe.

A1EE7850-0D10-4255-8478-A2622C421F56.jpeg

So many cars off the road everywhere. Every route back home was a disaster. There were so many generic AWD cars in ditches in really basic places. Quite a day.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The performance of my studded Hakkapeliitta's was unbelievable on Lookout Mountain today. The tires wouldn't slip enough to allow me to negotiate the switchbacks in 4x4 without the drivetrain binding up. The conditions were really bad and many vehicles were struggling and several off the road (safely). I drove the entire road after the first switchback in RWD and never slipped enough to be of any concern whatsoever. I was worried and really surprised that I got around those super steep hairpins with no issues at all in RWD. Hakkas are amazing.

Edit: Yes, of course, I need a center differential that isn't always locked (or whatever it's called that slips in the Cruiser and Sequoia). Someday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January