• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Best tree skiing in the state and it's not close. Steep sustained and mostly perfectly spaced trees.
I hope Alterra is listening! Here's hoping they add A-basin to their tree skiing portfolio in addition to beefing up their ownership of steeps. :D

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Unless you study the trail map or grooming report Pali = extreme in bound terrain and steeps off an old slow double chair. You can’t tell it accesses much of the summit, and is so steep you get to the top quick.

Unless you watch the grooming report, most intermediates and skiers at major areas will assume blues will be groomed, and ABasin has them in every zone. They just don’t get groomed as much and are going to be much harder than a place like Breck—the age old “relative to this area” problem with ratings.

Multi mountain passes encourage exploration, but that also means folks who only ski periodically may have a challenge truly and exploring. Pali is a learned secret for “locals” or those who pay attention to a place like Pugski for local advice.

What is that line likely? Intermediated on a multi mountain pass looking for groomed blues off a high speed chair. So, like, the vast majority of people buying passes and skiing any given weekend in Summit County.

There is always a pretty easy way down the mtn from the top of the Pali lift. That said, for the intermediate and the beginner terrain is VERY limited in A Basin in general besides whats off the BMX lift. The "intermediate" runs in the Beavers are NOT intermediate. They are steep skied out mogul runs in quite a few spots with variable snow up above.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Loveland got creative with the Firefox icon for their webcam page.

upload_2019-1-14_9-1-56.png

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Snow at the Basin was nice yesterday and sun helped warm up chilly bodies! Did anyone brave Lenawee? Just about every other chair had a snowboarder wiping out on the off ramp.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Snow at the Basin was nice yesterday and sun helped warm up chilly bodies! Did anyone brave Lenawee? Just about every other chair had a snowboarder wiping out on the off ramp.

:eek::eek::eek: :roflmao:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Rode up it 4 times had no problems with stopping but it was a ~5 minute wait every time.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Paging @nay - local news stations are predicting big snow hitting the mountains starting Wed. night and multiple storms continuing into Sunday. They're talking a couple feet of snow. What's the "real" story? :)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Paging @nay - local news stations are predicting big snow hitting the mountains starting Wed. night and multiple storms continuing into Sunday. They're talking a couple feet of snow. What's the "real" story? :)

I am mostly seeing a SW push in the models so the San Juans look to be on target to get the most snow. That said there will be some periods of w-nw flow mixed in there specially thu into fri. The Denver area is forecasted to get the heavy snow Friday afternoon. Wax your skis, its going to be good.

Hopefully me putting snow tires on my new Subbie tomorrow doesnt jinx it. :crossfingers:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A couple of feet? That would be nice. Today the forecast for Copper is a couple of inches over the next few days. Guess I will wait and see what the word is on Wed. I know it is colder than the forecasted temps. It was 20 degrees at 5:00p.m. but dropped like a rock once the sun went down. It was 4 degrees around 7:00 p.m.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It will snow because starting tomorrow I'll be coaching, training and racing DH at Cooper. The speed events run through Sunday.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
Sorry Ive been MIA since our early December test trip out to Luv. My newly fused ankle did not like it so it's been really tough to get motivated to drive out for what was supposed to be a 7 week trip. We left Florida this morning and are driving to our Asheville house to load up and head out in the morning. We should arrive Thursday night just in time for the storm Fri-Sat. Hopefully some fresh pow will be easier on that ankle, My surgeon thinks a lot of the pain is from the soft tissue rubbing on all the hardware and surgery #4 is scheduled for Feb 20 to remove the plates and screws. Had i known i would have done it this fall but hopefully my leg will be better for 2020.

For this season I'm going to have to dial it back and just have fun with the family. Easier said than done as im not wired to dial things back but pushing it is playing Russian Roulette. I do have crutches and walking boot in the ski box and plan to bring them each day just in case as i see the Cat is already running at Luv which means I'm pretty much screwed!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Im ready, hope I dont jinx it :crossfingers:

IMG_3534.jpeg IMG_3535.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.